California Banning the sale of Gas Powered Automobiles

I would like to see some advancement in the world of nuclear power....seems like the DOE is looking into it a bit. But, admittedly, I know little of this field.

"The US Department of Energy (DOE) has awarded USD36 million for 11 projects seeking to increase the use of nuclear power as a reliable source of clean energy and to limit the amount of radioactive waste produced from advanced reactors."

DOE funds for reducing advanced reactor wastes : Waste & Recycling - World Nuclear News
I've read some articles about thorium as an alternative but I'm not sure how realistic it truly is. Seems almost too good to be true. If it were viable, I'd expect to see more discussion and R&D around the technology - maybe there is circles that matter (I clearly am not allowed to hang out in those circles). Scalability seems to be a major hurdle.

Here's a very rose colored glasses article but it illustrates the "promise":
Destroying nuclear waste to create clean energy? It can be done

And here's the "don't hold your breath" counter article:
Don't believe the spin on thorium being a greener nuclear option

Pros and cons:
Thorium As Nuclear Fuel: the good and the bad

That said, China and India are probably doing the most research here with China supposedly bringing an experimental thorium reactor online any day.

Thorium, as well as some of the non-fissionable isotopes of uranium, can be converted to fissionable material in a breeder reactor...if memory serves me, our breeder reactor program was pretty much shut down during the Carter administration, partly due to the discovery of the snail darter in the waters near the Clinch River Breeder Reactor (which was never built)...

A fairly decent bit in Wikipedia (not exactly my first choice for scientific information, but it tracks with what I studied as an undergrad...).

ETA the link I was going to attach...

Breeder reactor - Wikipedia

Consider it? We went out and did it. ARPA detonated several weapons to test EMP as a means of ballistic missile defense.

You didn't nuke actual celestial bodies though- well, except ours.

It's quite interesting the uses people considered and tested nuclear weapons for in the 50s/60s.

Consider it? We went out and did it. ARPA detonated several weapons to test EMP as a means of ballistic missile defense.
Republican National Convention Gop GIF by Election 2016

Electric cars, so clean.

Tesla Model S

Motor- 100lbs of smelted copper

Battery- 1200 pounds

960lbs of smelted nickel
180lbs of smelted cobalt
60lbs of smelted aluminum

Oh soo green.

Takes something like 5 tons of raw ore to make a Tesla battery.

Mining for cobalt is also very manpower intensive going in rat tunnels. https://www.washingtonpost.com/grap.../congo-cobalt-mining-for-lithium-ion-battery/

"Green energy" is a myth. Can I use the eff word.

Then governments that want to force you into electric cars won't make the power generation investments to keep the grid alive. Because save the environment. You know, windmill blades are not recyclable. They get buried in Nebraska and Iowa.

The only thing that will address our power demands is Nuclear. The fact that we're not investing in that shows how corrupt our government is. No one can be an adult. But hey, we voted for the clowns and get what we deserve right? Eff.

It's almost as if this was predicted. Wake up North America, this is inevitable.

Electric car users warned as charging more expensive than PETROL
The consumer costs/TCO also don't take into account the electrical upgrades required for a charger at your home. This is a task most homeowners are not able to do themselves; requires an electrician. And that's assuming you're a home owner with off-street parking, not something all urban homeowners have. And if you're a renter and your landlord is unwilling or unable to make this upgrade then that's another issue.

Remember the Green New Deal agenda and how after it was exposed Democrats distanced themselves from it saying there was no way to pay for it. They lied. It's damn the torpedoes, full steam ahead!

Last edited:
The consumer costs/TCO also don't take into account the electrical upgrades required for a charger at your home. This is a task most homeowners are not able to do themselves; requires an electrician. And that's assuming you're a home owner with off-street parking, not something all urban homeowners have. And if you're a renter and your landlord is unwilling or unable to make this upgrade then that's another issue.

Remember the Green New Deal agenda and how after it was exposed Democrats distanced themselves from it saying there was no way to pay for it. They lied. It's damn the torpedoes, full steam ahead!

It's not just the home charger. It's the grid up to your home. In an older home and you need to upgrade your service just to provide the amperage for the charger. Then if everyone on your street upgrades or installs a charger; the transformer may need upgrading. Throw in the current roaming blackouts. People are stupid.

Back