CCT Prep/ CCSC Questions

Lukout

Unverified
I'm leaving for basic in a little over a month from now and I have been training everyday in the pool and going on runs usually with a 20 pound pack. I do the PAST test every other day and am hitting almost double for my calisthenics and am at 10 min for my swim and 9:30 for my run. I'm pretty confident underwater and can hold a 2 min interval for 10 reps with little trouble. In addition I've started learning the three knot series. I was wondering if any of you all have suggestions on what else I should be doing and if you have any recommendations on what I should bring to CCSC after basic.

You'll get everything you need for CCSC when you get there, or they will give you a chance to go to Clothing Sales and waste your money.
Are you rucking over terrain, or on streets?
Have you ever camped?

You'll get everything you need for CCSC when you get there, or they will give you a chance to go to Clothing Sales and waste your money.
Are you rucking over terrain, or on streets?
Have you ever camped?

Awesome! Thanks! I've been rucking over terrain to reduce chances of shin splints, do you think I should continue doing that?
The closest to camping I've ever done is a two day hike where I slept under the stars.

The closest to camping I've ever done is a two day hike where I slept under the stars.

You might be surprised by the reality of living in the field, scratch the 'might'. You will be surprised by the realities of living in the field.

Have fun, listen to your Instructors, and pay close attention to the classes on setting a RON/Patrol Base.

Your fine then.
Thanks for the help!

You might be surprised by the reality of living in the field, scratch the 'might'. You will be surprised by the realities of living in the field.

Have fun, listen to your Instructors, and pay close attention to the classes on setting a RON/Patrol Base.

It's going to be new, maybe even a little difficult but I look forward to it.

Thanks for the help!

It's going to be new, maybe even a little difficult but I look forward to it.
I am amazed at all the effort people put into the physical, with minimal emotional/mental preparations.

The mission happens in the shittyest parts of the world, and people don't hike, do orienteering or minimalist camping; then crap in their pants when they are told to live in a shelter half.

70% mental, 30% physical.

I am amazed at all the effort people put into the physical, with minimal emotional/mental preparations.

The mission happens in the shittyest parts of the world, and people don't hike, do orienteering or minimalist camping; then crap in their pants when they are told to live in a shelter half.

70% mental, 30% physical.

I've heard a lot about how candidates are more than physically fit entering into this and then end up quitting because they cannot handle it mentally. I know this career field, as well as every SOF and possibly any service in the military, is not for everyone. I have thought about for a long time, and I am 100% certain this is something I want to do. If you think I should be doing more camping and hiking I will definitely take heed of your advice.

Shelter half. Do they even use those anymore??

Yes...it's all fun and games till you have to break ice to crawl out of your shelter....

Just practice underwaters, mask and snorkel recovery, and bobbing. The water con is what get most candidates, and the mental day to day grind. Most important thing is to have fun with it, you chose this career. (Recently attended and passed the NCO SOWT/CCT assessment and then the selection)

Just practice underwaters, mask and snorkel recovery, and bobbing. The water con is what get most candidates, and the mental day to day grind. Most important thing is to have fun with it, you chose this career. (Recently attended and passed the NCO SOWT/CCT assessment and then the selection)

This. And buddy breathing if you haven't. But you'll learn everything there. Definetly have fun, don't let the nut kicking change your attitude.

I don't know why you're suggesting this to someone going into CCT selection. The water con you do for that 2 week selection is so easy and simple most all Joe Shmoes could do it. Don't practice for it, there's no point. Calisthenics and running and just being uncomfortable in general is what the selection consists of. With a little pool. Time spent rucking and doing water con would be better utilized reducing that run time and increasing cals.

I don't know why you're suggesting this to someone going into CCT selection. The water con you do for that 2 week selection is so easy and simple most all Joe Shmoes could do it. Don't practice for it, there's no point. Calisthenics and running and just being uncomfortable in general is what the selection consists of. With a little pool. Time spent rucking and doing water con would be better utilized reducing that run time and increasing cals.
You're a PJ student so I'm not sure where you feel the need to comment so strongly on a course you haven't been through. If you went through your Indoc in early or mid 2014 you may have talked to some CCT Trainees saying the water con was easy to non-existent during selection, it's changed.

Kheenbish is correct in saying the water con does get most candidates. This was true on my team and on the few teams after. Kheenbish's team was well after mine. One should most definitely practice the events if they want to become more comfortable in the water. Becoming familiar with the movement is the point to practicing for any event. Saw guys get hurt during the ruck also, and quit during cals on the ruck. A well rounded training regiment focusing on ones weaknesses while still improving strengths is always optimal.

Compared to other parts of the pipeline, yes the water con is easier per say, even going from the assessment to the selection it was easier. Should you neglect it? No. You could tell which candidates neglected rucking/water con and it made the team suffer more on certain events. As Towerlthief pointed out a well rounded regiment is more ideal, we aren't power lifters or Olympic swimmers, but we do a little bit of everything.

You're a PJ student so I'm not sure where you feel the need to comment so strongly on a course you haven't been through. If you went through your Indoc in early or mid 2014 you may have talked to some CCT Trainees saying the water con was easy to non-existent during selection, it's changed.

Kheenbish is correct in saying the water con does get most candidates. This was true on my team and on the few teams after. Kheenbish's team was well after mine. One should most definitely practice the events if they want to become more comfortable in the water. Becoming familiar with the movement is the point to practicing for any event. Saw guys get hurt during the ruck also, and quit during cals on the ruck. A well rounded training regiment focusing on ones weaknesses while still improving strengths is always optimal.
Well If you've been in Medina sooner that I have and It's changed, then thats fair, you'd know more than me. I was just speaking from my experience in 2015 being so close with the controller guys. The two selections are in the same place. Never failed how they would consistently talk about how much of a "joke" the water con was and didn't prepare them for pre-dive at all. Not to mention we would do "water con" with them during Battle quite a bit and even during indoc get dropped by their cadre on the way to breakfast, mistaking us as CCT trainees.
Just have had a few buddies prepare totally in the wrong way and neglect running/ cals while focusing on water con and fail out of it because of that. That's all! Just hate seeing that. But as I said if any of you guys were around more recent then I, then you'd know better if it's changed.

I'm leaving for basic in a little over a month from now and I have been training everyday in the pool and going on runs usually with a 20 pound pack. I do the PAST test every other day and am hitting almost double for my calisthenics and am at 10 min for my swim and 9:30 for my run. I'm pretty confident underwater and can hold a 2 min interval for 10 reps with little trouble. In addition I've started learning the three knot series. I was wondering if any of you all have suggestions on what else I should be doing and if you have any recommendations on what I should bring to CCSC after basic.
Hey I'm just curious how your journey is going thus far?

Last edited:
Hey I'm just curious how your journey is going thus far?
As of right now I'm fighting a disqualification. I tore my acl and now I'm in medical hold and the Air Force is saying it was a pre existing condition, which is not true. I hope it works out and I get my job back but as of right now I'm fighting just to stay in the military.

Back