Chlorine burning eyes

Why are you not using eyewear protection?

I would ask the same.

Eye irritation is the most common chlorine allergy symptom, so that may be what's going on here, especially if it lasts for days. Getting tested by an allergist-immunologist will let you know definitively if that's the case.

Besides @Ranger Psych 's suggestion, also avoid rubbing your eyes after exposure to chlorine.

I am not SOF but have been practicing watercon over the last year.

I get some burning, not a lot, after doing mask/snorkel recoveries or other mask-off drills for a while. Once I hop out, I rinse my eyes while I'm showering off then use some eye drops. I've gotten more "used to it" but it's just something you have to put up with. Even the salt water pool leaves me with some scratchiness and fuzzy vision. Get yourself some eye drops (I just use what the doc prescribed after my PRK back in March) and see if using those help any. If it is really that bad and lasts for days, it might be worth visiting the clinic to make sure nothing else is going on there. Good call, @DocIllinois.

Good luck!

I would ask the same.

Eye irritation is the most common chlorine allergy symptom, so that may be what's going on here, especially if it lasts for days. Getting tested by an allergist-immunologist will let you know definitively if that's the case.

Besides @Ranger Psych 's suggestion, also avoid rubbing your eyes after exposure to chlorine.
During most water con events at indoc they do not wear goggles, otherwise I most definitely do.

It's bad and I receive sharp pain in spurts, but it is in no way debilitating. Thanks @Fl_Ag, are there specific over the counter brands that are viable?

I'm super hesitant to recommend anything over the counter, especially if your eyes are having as bad of a reaction to the pool water as it seems. If good 'ol ClearEyes doesn't suffice, drop into your clinic and let the doc know what's up. Let us know if rinsing and eye drops helps or what the doc says should you elect to visit the clinic.

My recommendation is to wear goggles for your practice water con events... that is what I and my group of buddies do everytime we go to the pool on our own to get in extra practice.

On one hand you will need to get used to that uncomfortable chlorine feeling (especially when you start doing flooded mask exercises), but there is also point where it just isn't in your best interest to continually subject yourself to chlorine when it's not required. You will get plenty of time to burn your eyes blood red during training, don't worry. Clear Eyes helps... kind of... always rinse in the shower/sink like suggested above.

For instance, if we are swimming underwaters with masks around our neck and booties on our feet, we wear goggles... bobbing? yes, goggles... travelling? you get the idea. Hope that helps.

If you're experiencing problems in a "normal" pool, then you definitely want to try and figure out what works for you. Typically, pools used for military training are chlorinated to a higher degree, due to the number of people in them, equipment, etc. A lot more is introduced to the water than at a YMCA or Gold's Gym. While you may not always be allowed goggles/masks in a military course, you can at least figure out some eye drops that work well for the end of the day, a certain rinse, etc.

Unfortunately it is one of those things you just have to deal with. Like others have recommended, wear goggles/mask while training. I remember leaving the pool after a day of torture and it looked like clouds had just rolled in.

Have rinsed my eyes under cold water for about 30 seconds about 4/5 times per shower the past couple nights post water con. After dinner I drip some clear eyes in. Still a little fuzzy vision, but pain is gone. Thanks for the help gentlemen.

Back