Could you pass BRC if you go to basic only meeting the minimums?

Dumbo

Unverified
I'm not trying to be lazy, but I would like to sign a reconnaissance contract, and I don't know how much time I'll have to prepare for training. I haven't stayed in the best shape and I think I will have about two months to complete the enlistment process, because I have a couple of hurdles, but nothing too serious. I'm positive I could get 270 on the standard PFT if I train for two months, because I don't know how low I can get my run times, but I know I could max out the calisthenics. Do you guys think I will be adequately prepared if I have the mental fortitude to persevere (assuming I do)? I do not want to rush things, but if others who have faced similar challenges believe it's a possibility it will boost my confidence immensely. I'm going to do it regardless, but I thought I'd get some opinions from people with experience. Thank you.

P.S. I will do an informal PFT test on Thursday (July 27th) with my recruiter. I scored eighty on the ASVAB pre-test, so I'm not as worried about that, but I'm still dedicating a little time everyday to improve my arithmetics.

I'm not trying to be lazy, but I would like to sign a reconnaissance contract, and I don't know how much time I'll have to prepare for training. I haven't stayed in the best shape and I think I will have about two months to complete the enlistment process, because I have a couple of hurdles, but nothing too serious. I'm positive I could get 270 on the standard PFT if I train for two months, because I don't know how low I can get my run times, but I know I could max out the calisthenics. Do you guys think I will be adequately prepared if I have the mental fortitude to persevere (assuming I do)? I do not want to rush things, but if others who have faced similar challenges believe it's a possibility it will boost my confidence immensely. I'm going to do it regardless, but I thought I'd get some opinions from people with experience. Thank you.

P.S. I will do an informal PFT test on Thursday (July 27th) with my recruiter. I scored eighty on the ASVAB pre-test, so I'm not as worried about that, but I'm still dedicating a little time everyday to improve my arithmetics.

One of the things Marine recruit training is famous for is getting people in shape fast. Then--unless things have really changed--you go to infantry training at SOI to earn your 03 MOS. None of this is a cake-walk. You've got months of demanding physical and mental challenges ahead of you before you ever get to BRC. My point is, regardless of the training you do on your own time, the Marine Corps is going to be working your ass up pretty hard and what you learn, earn and take away from those months will benefit your BRC challenge. Any off-duty training you do in conjunction with that, obviously, is all good...The main thing is, don't injure yourself. And good luck.

PS. I don't know if it's still the case, but Recon hopefuls used to need to qual Expert on the rifle range and have killer PFT scores. You can do it, the Corps' training pipeline will help you do it, and like @Teufel says, if you want it bad enough you'll get it.

Last edited:
Hey man I say go for it. What kind of PT are you doing right now? Work on your run time you want to be able to run all freaking day long and that is no exaggeration. The better the shoe your in the easier life will. E for you. I was in great shape when I went 300 PFTer so I just had to focus on class room stuff not worrying bout any physical events. Also as mentioned above you will be going to Boot camp where you will do PT every day. So don't sweat it. Also g SOI you will do ruck marches So by the time you go to BRC you will be ready. Let me know if you have any question man and good luck.

Back