Cutting Weight

Reptile

Surface Warfare
Verified Military
Good afternoon gents,
Wanted to reach out and see if anybody had any tips on cutting weight that have worked for them before. I need about 10-15 more lbs off to help with run times for my PAST scores (everything is there except my run which needs to be at 9:47 or below for 1.5 mile, I'm at 11:00). Besides what I am doing now, i.e., No alcohol, 6 days a week clean eating, and training hard 5 days a week, cutting weight usually comes to a halt when you've been doing the same thing for a couple months. FYI, I'm 215, 6'0, and 27. Also, I've submitted my vetting application and am also currently still in so I'm not here screwing around with an idea. Thanks in advance.

I am doing "Mountain Tactical Institute's" training plan for the PJ pipeline. Specifically their "PAST" plan which is a 6 week program in which I am about to finish which is basically a crap ton of pulls ups, push ups, sit ups, swimming and running and that's it. Swims and runs are intervals anywhere from 250m swims to 800m runs, up to 8-10 intervals in each session. I've improved significantly but I haven't lost anymore weight in the past 2 weeks or so so I need to step it up. The next program is called Valor which I am starting June 5, and that incorporates getting back in the gym, ruck runs, fun sandbag work, etc.. Diet is a crap ton of protein from lean meats, eggs, protein shakes, as few carbs as possible, although Quinoa is common for me to eat, a little bit of fruit each day and as many vegetables as I can water down. One day a week I eat whatever the hell I want which is usually doughnuts for breakfast and pizza and burgers for lunch and dinner. I used to be a Crossfit Trainer so I lifted like that for about 5 years but stopped all of the crazy kipping crap because I saw too many people tearing their labrums and I don't want to get injured. Other than that that's about it.

Well, you're doing everything I would have suggested. The only other thing I can think of is try to assess calories burned and adjust your diet accordingly, see if you can give up a couple hundred calories a day.

Well, you're doing everything I would have suggested. The only other thing I can think of is try to assess calories burned and adjust your diet accordingly, see if you can give up a couple hundred calories a day.
Haha. Well the workouts on a daily basis I'm doing now honestly only take about 30-45 minutes, but that's just this program. I feel like the amount I eat isn't equivalent to the amount I workout if that makes sense. So giving up a couple hundred calories is doable, gonna try it.

Sounds like you just need to be in better running shape. 6'0" and 215# is not that big, especially if it's not fat.
I definitely do. And I wish I could say it's all muscle, but I slacked for the better part of last year and beginning of this year when I was IRR before getting back in so I'm certain some of my muscle just pancaked into fat, and it's gotta go.

Hey buddy,

I think the best way to attack your problem [dropping your 1.5 miler] is by increasing your VO2 Max.
Here's a simple weekly plan, spending no longer then 20 min exercising but in 4 weeks you will feel like Zeus said "hey Rep, here's my lungs!!" :D

Mon-Hill Repeats (find a hill, run up it, jog down super slow or walk) do this for 20 min
Tues-2 min runs (2min run as fast as you can, 2 min jog or walk) 5 sets
Wed-20 min run (medium pace) a ball park goal would be 2 to 2.5 miles
Thu-1 min runs (1 min all out, 1 min jog or walk) 10 sets
Fri-15 min run, slow as possible..nice light jog...works out lactic acid from a week of getting it done...do 10 x 25 meter sprints to kill the other 5 min...this gets your heart rate up for the next day....GAME DAY!

Do a 1.5 Mile Time trial on Saturday....this tests out your system to see if we are applying the right math and science to help you.
Sunday is off...call it FattKiddd Sunday!

Repeat for 4 weeks.

At the end of the day, if you breathe as hard as you can for as long as you can, and do it over and over...its seems like you might drop a few lbs too....but I am the last person to ask about weight loss...:zzz:

Good luck buddy!:ninja:

Hey buddy,

I think the best way to attack your problem [dropping your 1.5 miler] is by increasing your VO2 Max.
Here's a simple weekly plan, spending no longer then 20 min exercising but in 4 weeks you will feel like Zeus said "hey Rep, here's my lungs!!" :D

Mon-Hill Repeats (find a hill, run up it, jog down super slow or walk) do this for 20 min
Tues-2 min runs (2min run as fast as you can, 2 min jog or walk) 5 sets
Wed-20 min run (medium pace) a ball park goal would be 2 to 2.5 miles
Thu-1 min runs (1 min all out, 1 min jog or walk) 10 sets
Fri-15 min run, slow as possible..nice light jog...works out lactic acid from a week of getting it done...do 10 x 25 meter sprints to kill the other 5 min...this gets your heart rate up for the next day....GAME DAY!

Do a 1.5 Mile Time trial on Saturday....this tests out your system to see if we are applying the right math and science to help you.
Sunday is off...call it FattKiddd Sunday!

Repeat for 4 weeks.

At the end of the day, if you breathe as hard as you can for as long as you can, and do it over and over...its seems like you might drop a few lbs too....but I am the last person to ask about weight loss...:zzz:

Good luck buddy!:ninja:

Awesome advice. Preciate it!

I'm about your size- 6'1" and usually 195-205, balloon up to 215 during leave and get to 185 when I go on work trips and am walking 15 miles in a night. As someone who feels your pain regarding being a big dude- I would say use intermittent fasting. It has helped me lose weight when I know a PT test is coming up. Lots of coffee, myoplex and chick fil a grilled chicken sandwiches. Tobacco too. Anything to keep your protein high and calories low. You'll lose the weight without noticing.

I'm about your size- 6'1" and usually 195-205, balloon up to 215 during leave and get to 185 when I go on work trips and am walking 15 miles in a night. As someone who feels your pain regarding being a big dude- I would say use intermittent fasting. It has helped me lose weight when I know a PT test is coming up. Lots of coffee, myoplex and chick fil a grilled chicken sandwiches. Tobacco too. Anything to keep your protein high and calories low. You'll lose the weight without noticing.

Intermittent fasting.. I've never tried that. I love coffee. And I have upped my protein which seems to definitely help, but Myoplex im not familiar with. Chick fil a grilled chicken sandwiches I could eat any time anywhere.

Good afternoon gents,
Wanted to reach out and see if anybody had any tips on cutting weight that have worked for them before. I need about 10-15 more lbs off to help with run times for my PAST scores (everything is there except my run which needs to be at 9:47 or below for 1.5 mile, I'm at 11:00). Besides what I am doing now, i.e., No alcohol, 6 days a week clean eating, and training hard 5 days a week, cutting weight usually comes to a halt when you've been doing the same thing for a couple months. FYI, I'm 215, 6'0, and 27. Also, I've submitted my vetting application and am also currently still in so I'm not here screwing around with an idea. Thanks in advance.
Hey if you're still looking for some knowledge, I tried my fitness pal for tracking and have used tactical barbell for my workouts. I've lost 40lbs since the start of this year and my fitness is back to where it once was or better.

Hey if you're still looking for some knowledge, I tried my fitness pal for tracking and have used tactical barbell for my workouts. I've lost 40lbs since the start of this year and my fitness is back to where it once was or better.
I'm 6'4 and currently 230 going for 215.

I appreciate it. I'm still slowly going down but I think I may use MFP. I hear you can track macros pretty well on there.

Cut out your bullshit "eat what I want day"! Seriously, are you that much of a junkie that you'll refuse to sacrifice for your goal? I also can't believe that after 15 posts I'm the first person to tell you this.

"I've submitted my vetting application and am also currently still in so I'm not here screwing around with an idea."

Really? I'm calling bullshit.
Eat less (when you feel kinda satisfied, STOP), Don't eat crap (which you are at least once a week), It's really simple. You either want to loose it or you don't, there is no middle ground here.

Cut out your bullshit "eat what I want day"! Seriously, are you that much of a junkie that you'll refuse to sacrifice for your goal? I also can't believe that after 15 posts I'm the first person to tell you this.

"I've submitted my vetting application and am also currently still in so I'm not here screwing around with an idea."

Really? I'm calling bullshit.
Eat less (when you feel kinda satisfied, STOP), Don't eat crap (which you are at least once a week), It's really simple. You either want to loose it or you don't, there is no middle ground here.
Well said. I appreciate the motivation.

Back