Don't Thank Me, Thank Disney

Foo Fighters new album dropped today - “But Here We Are”. I can best describe it as a heavy (in music and lyrics) attempt to work out Dave’s grief over recently losing both his mother and his best friend and drummer (Taylor Hawkins) . The lyrics are discernible without needing a lyrics sheet and I think any of the 10 songs on the album (only 48 minutes) could be a hit single on the average album.

Songs take a few interesting twists as they progress, and as a person who admits that music causes me tear up more than everyday reality, there are some really tough lyrics and vocals to work through.

Typically I don’t read The NY Times, but they did a good job on this review.

Foo Fighters Are Shaken Yet Still Standing on ‘But Here We Are’

There 3 songs stuck out, but the whole Album is amazing - I’m on my 3rd listen today…not as background music, but straight up listening and appreciating the emotion and depth of the lyrics.

But Here We Are

The Teacher - written for Dave’s mom

Rest -

So this song speaks, but the moment conservatives found it and started talking about it, the blue anons and libtards started trashing it.

Well, it's gone viral. I've listened to it at least 6 times...the first day was Tuesday and it had less than 20,000 views. Well today is Saturday and it has 3.6M VIEWS.

So this song speaks, but the moment conservatives found it and started talking about it, the blue anons and libtards started trashing it.

Well, it's gone viral. I've listened to it at least 6 times...the first day was Tuesday and it had less than 20,000 views. Well today is Saturday and it has 3.6M VIEWS.

This was just posted to a different forum which I belong, and I think I've seen it linked in Facebook no fewer than 20 times.

New Blink and Sum 41 music in less than a week? Yes please. Trying to convince myself not to come back to the States for the When We Were Young festival. Would have had tickets already if we lived there but being in Europe I couldn’t justify it at first. Now that it’s getting closer I’m regretting not buying tickets. I will be seeing Blink-182 soon but a whole festival from my high school years sounds incredible.

New Blink and Sum 41 music in less than a week? Yes please. Trying to convince myself not to come back to the States for the When We Were Young festival. Would have had tickets already if we lived there but being in Europe I couldn’t justify it at first. Now that it’s getting closer I’m regretting not buying tickets. I will be seeing Blink-182 soon but a whole festival from my high school years sounds incredible.
There hasn't been good music since 2008...so I feel you.

There are some genres where I think that assertion holds, but some of my favorite band (which won’t necessarily be found on radio) have been dropping some of their strongest material. And they’re packing venues doing so (ie not being released to crickets).
I am not sure which. I have a general disdain for country that isn’t bluegrass. So if it is that then I defer to people who already don’t like music.

Off the top of my head I can think of old bands, and new bands that have released killer new music in the past 5-6 years certainly since 2008... There are some awesome bands that weren’t even formed in 2008, that fucking kill.

Roving list of bands I’ve listened to today, all have put out new music since ‘08, and all of it is “good”.
Superheaven
Deftones(have released 3 albums since 08)
Thrice
TOOL
Royal Blood
Delta Sleep
QOTSA
Phantogram
Your Old Droog
Run The Jewels
Rise Against

I am not sure which. I have a general disdain for country that isn’t bluegrass. So if it is that then I defer to people who already don’t like music.

Off the top of my head I can think of old bands, and new bands that have released killer new music in the past 5-6 years certainly since 2008... There are some awesome bands that weren’t even formed in 2008, that fucking kill.

Roving list of bands I’ve listened to today, all have put out new music since ‘08, and all of it is “good”.
Superheaven
Thrice
TOOL
Royal Blood
Delta Sleep
QOTSA
Phantogram
Your Old Droog
Run The Jewels
Rise Against

I’m not sure if you took my post as disagreement; it wasn’t. I agree with all of this. My list a touch different but the point is the same.

In similar vein to @AWP my low-effort list is Megadeth has maintained pace, Slayer up until retirement lost Jeff H then immediately dropped a concept album, Volbeat has always killed, Howard Jones left Killswitch and started Light The Torch which is IMO an improvement on (already good) Killswitch, Sabaton is in there… on a complete change of gears, Christone Ingram wasn’t even a teenager in 2008 and is my current favorite 21st century blues musician. But yeah, music died in 2008…:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I’m not sure if you took my post as disagreement; it wasn’t. I agree with all of this. My list a touch different but the point is the same.

In similar vein to @AWP my low-effort list is Megadeth has maintained pace, Slayer up until retirement lost Jeff H then immediately dropped a concept album, Volbeat has always killed, Howard Jones left Killswitch and started Light The Torch which is IMO an improvement on (already good) Killswitch, Sabaton is in there… on a complete change of gears, Christine Ingram wasn’t even a teenager in 2008 and is my current favorite 21st century blues musician. But yeah, music died in 2008…:rolleyes:
I didn’t.

I was bummed when Howard left KSE. Iactually was at the show in Charlotte when he left the band. Singer for All That Remains filled in.

Superheaven
Thrice
TOOL
Royal Blood
Delta Sleep
QOTSA
Phantogram
Your Old Droog
Run The Jewels
Rise Against

I played bass and mandolin in bluegrass, my best friend still plays banjo in a bluegrass band.

I pretty much dig all music except for rap after 1992 or so and country after about the same time. I've seen some tremendous bands that never recorded but played awesome music. I can listen to Mel torme, followed by Beastie boys, followed by tool.

Back