Energy Security

In the Ukraine- Russia thread there’s an undercurrent on energy, fuel prices in particular, and more broadly the German govt. has done a massive U-turn returning to coal & uranium.
So the more immediate question is how do you bring prices down & how does each country circle the wagons?

Keystone XL Pipeline and West Texas Well uncapping.

There is nothing green about green energy.

Solar Panels- Strip Mining in China (or Africa by Chinese Companies)
Electric Cars- Strip Mining in China (or Africa by Chinese Companies)
Wind Turbines- Blades manufactured mostly in China (Where do damaged blades go, oh polluting the ground in Nebraska or some other midwestern place that gets forgotten about)

The only thing that's actually sustainable is Nuclear, but we have no leadership and have fallen for the green lobby which is generally full of lies.

I'm a fan of solar, but not because of saving the world. I like the contingency opportunity it offers.

Add me to the why not both club when it comes to fossil fuels and renewables :)

Girl Why Dont We Have Both GIF

There is nothing green about green energy.

Solar Panels- Strip Mining in China (or Africa by Chinese Companies)
Electric Cars- Strip Mining in China (or Africa by Chinese Companies)
Wind Turbines- Blades manufactured mostly in China (Where do damaged blades go, oh polluting the ground in Nebraska or some other midwestern place that gets forgotten about)

The only thing that's actually sustainable is Nuclear, but we have no leadership and have fallen for the green lobby which is generally full of lies.
Too true, it may be that storage of the nuclear waste may be a factor thats inhibiting growth. I’m quite a fan of the SMR concept BTW.

Honestly I think nuclear is the way to go.

I think the reason that a lot of politicians don’t like it is because the waste costs money to deal with, and it sounds “scary”.

They can’t dump it in a field or a landfill and forget about it like wind or solar. We have ways to contain it, the issue is that we’re stuck with it for a very long time afterwards, and that storage is a long term investment that I think drives away a lot if politicians.

If you don’t cut corners and you maintain it properly, nuclear is extremely safe. Unfortunately governments love to cut corners, and easily fall into the trap of neglecting maintenance.

I saw recently that now that there are enough blades requiring recycling, it's worth the effort to set up a recycling system for it, I think Veolia and GE were involved in the test bed. I imagine those land filled blades will ultimately end up being processed.

Add fertiliser to the energy crisis, Urea has tripled since the start of last year and recent events have led to $300 a tonne jumps to the price. Australia may not see the bumper yields of last year if input prices remain so high, Canada is coming off a shit year, will the Ukraine be able to harvest their Winter crops? Will anyone be able to buy Russian cereals?

In the Ukraine- Russia thread there’s an undercurrent on energy, fuel prices in particular, and more broadly the German govt. has done a massive U-turn returning to coal & uranium.
So the more immediate question is how do you bring prices down & how does each country circle the wagons?
It's going to be very difficult in the short run. Even if we start exploiting homegrown resources, it's not going to avert the global famine that's in the works. Between inflation, the rising cost of labor, crushing regulations, and the spooling up of infrastructure, it's going to be a rough couple years.

I saw recently that now that there are enough blades requiring recycling, it's worth the effort to set up a recycling system for it, I think Veolia and GE were involved in the test bed. I imagine those land filled blades will ultimately end up being processed.

Add fertiliser to the energy crisis, Urea has tripled since the start of last year and recent events have led to $300 a tonne jumps to the price. Australia may not see the bumper yields of last year if input prices remain so high, Canada is coming off a shit year, will the Ukraine be able to harvest their Winter crops? Will anyone be able to buy Russian cereals?
Agricultural inputs here almost doubled, some near tripled (seed, fuel, fertilizer). In the Western world it's going to show at the grocery store, think prices doubling. For the rest of the world it's going to be famine and small wars over food and fertile farmland (think Somalia in the 90's).

Nitrogen based fertilizers are outputs of the natural gas industry, which were curtailed heavily due to green policies. China is the main producer of urea based fertilizers and they're holding on to them for their own use. Russia and it's energy industry produces most of the world potassium based fertilizers. It's gonna get bad and sadly this was all avoidable.

@ThunderHorse the comments make me want to smash my head against the wall.
Never read the comments.
I suggest finding something constructive to do with that anger. Read the comments and remember who the useful idiots are and what they did. Then ponder about the people, companies, and bureaucrats, who benefitted from selling green sunshine and unicorn farts to said useful idiots.

To go back to threads main point, North America has abundant energy deposits in the form of shale, coal, and natural gas. Until recently we had the infrastructure and technology to exploit it humming along, providing us with abundant energy. Now look at where we're at.

For us (NA) the problem isn't accessing/proximity to energy resources, but the PCB's who are seemingly hell bent on destroying our energy sector from within. (PCB = People, Companies, Bureaucrats)

@CQB To harken back to circling the wagons, it might not be possible. Our energy sector has been sabotaged. Unless we can deprogram people and bring to task those responsible for hamstringing our energy sector, we're stuck.

So instead of incentivizing American Oil Companies to uncap wells and let the spice flow...we're gonna help a different evil dictatorship out?

I saw that my FB feed earlier, thanks for posting the link.

We're cutting a deal with Venezuela? Didn't we cut ties with them over conflicting values and national interests? This move comes across as "our values are our values, until it's economically and politically inconvenient." This isn't good for us.

Look, I'm all about being amoral when it comes to international relations and grand strategy, but when we start drifting from out values for the sake of expedience, it often ends up as a net loss for the country. I'm reminded of what we (as country) used to do to prisoners in the early years of the GWOT... we knew naked man pyramids and forced masturbated and making dudes crawl through feces wasn't right, but we did it anyway. And it came back to bite us, ultimately making it harder for us to do interrogations and detainee ops.

Venezuela's dictator came out fully in support of Russia. They are not our friend, and we should not be cozying up to them when we have other options much closer to home at home.

Now we are going to deal with the “lesser” of two evils. What a message of strength we are sending throughout the world!

Back