Fake Seal suspected....

Who knew, I was a SWAT dude while I was still on training. Apparently all you need is to be on the perimeter. I hope this local dude gets burned down. I hate seeing stuff like this and I'm not even a Vet.

I WAS a SEAL until I started working for Harold Finch. Now I'm a ghost.

I was going to sue the writers for basing the Shaw character on me in real life, but I'm afraid of the counter-suit from violating the NDAs I had to sign for all of my top secret missions.

Well, hell, now I've gotta kill you all because I've said too much.

I have spoken to two HR people who have told me they have no idea how to verify a veterans background.

That is scary.

Why? If I told you I taught CTM TCCC, and TSS while I was an instructor at the JSOMTC, before which I was an 18D3PQB would you have any idea what the fuck I was talking about? It isn't the job of HR people to decipher a military resume. People any be experts at everything. As for verification, the posing thing isn't as much a problem outside of the SOF realm. You don't hear about a lot of guys claiming to be computer science folks.

Why? If I told you I taught CTM TCCC, and TSS while I was an instructor at the JSOMTC, before which I was an 18D3PQB would you have any idea what the fuck I was talking about? It isn't the job of HR people to decipher a military resume. People any be experts at everything. As for verification, the posing thing isn't as much a problem outside of the SOF realm. You don't hear about a lot of guys claiming to be computer science folks.

O/T:

I disagree. It is. It is the job of HR to vet my background and skills. If I sit down with with HR for an interview they have my resume. If I say I served they should as for supporting documentation. If I say I have a college degree they are to ask for a copy of my diploma or my transcripts. The same principle applies.

HR may not know what you are talking about with the example you provided (I myself do not know exactly) with those acronyms however they should ask for your supporting documentation that you actually 1. served and 2. have an Honorable Discharge.

I can't believe how many times I've been asked "I see you graduated college.....so do you have your high school transcripts?" :rolleyes:

William Hillar duped the Federal Bureau of Investigative Command College, The United States Army, The FBI Salt Lake City Division, The FBI Chicago Division and The DEA among others. I would certainly expect those entities to be able to vet such an individual no matter how many letters of the alphabet he is throwing around. It is indeed the job of the "HR people" to verify what they are presented. If they are not then apparently new HR people are necessary.
In the case cited above, there was a degree presented by the individual from a "diploma mill" That apparently slipped through the scrutiny of the "HR people". It should have set off alarms out of the gate.

HR departments and hiring managers can be lazy. I had a guy who worked for me and he flat-out faked a bunch of Cisco certifications. When asked for the certification # (you can look them up online) he provided a sequence of digits that were wrong AND 4-5 short. This is info ANYONE can access, he still screwed up the proper format for faking the certs, and no one at a very, very large defense contractor caught it or cared about it.

Is it HR's job to find these things? Damn right it is. Is HR checking that or counting key words on your resume? I think we know that answer too...

William Hillar duped the Federal Bureau of Investigative Command College, The United States Army, The FBI Salt Lake City Division, The FBI Chicago Division and The DEA among others. I would certainly expect those entities to be able to vet such an individual no matter how many letters of the alphabet he is throwing around. It is indeed the job of the "HR people" to verify what they are presented. If they are not then apparently new HR people are necessary.
In the case cited above, there was a degree presented by the individual from a "diploma mill" That apparently slipped through the scrutiny of the "HR people". It should have set off alarms out of the gate.

It is the job of an HR person to check and know how to decipher a Dd-214? Ok. Y'all are missing the point, if the job is to be a PSD guy overseas, then yeah vetting someone's SOF experience is necessary. However vetting someone's military service for a city job? Not likely other than proof of service. Same goes for most jobs. Vetting someone for skills they likely won't ever use is not the HR persons job.

It is the job of an HR person to check and know how to decipher a Dd-214? Ok. Y'all are missing the point, if the job is to be a PSD guy overseas, then yeah vetting someone's SOF experience is necessary. However vetting someone's military service for a city job? Not likely other than proof of service. Same goes for most jobs. Vetting someone for skills they likely won't ever use is not the HR persons job.

So whose job is it then? There has to be someone responsible for vetting military credentials. If not that is a huge flaw in any given system is it not? Even Freefalling stated above "Is it HR's job to find these things" Damn right it is" But is the fact that I am just a stupid civilian reason enough to quote and denigrate my response and not his?

As I stated, the person charged with vetting this guy missed the erroneous bachelor's degree claimed. That had nothing to do with any alleged military service.

Yes, it is HR's job to verify past employment. If military employment verification isn't in their procedures, and why it wouldn't be, I don't know, then use your networking resources and ask.

And you don't verify past employment just for applicable skills. Verification will also yield a lot of additional information on the candidate. Verifying what the applicant tells you is a good integrity check, as well. Having worked closely with HR depts., and having an HR attorney as a best friend, there are certain answers a prior employer must give to certain questions. There is also a way of conveying info on problem employees that you want to share, but can't necessarily do so legally. Hence, HR should always verify. It will come back to bite you in the ass if you don't.

Back