HAWG -- Exploits of an A-10 squadron in Afghanistan

The A-10 is the only thing with a fan boi club larger than the SEALS. A) RIGHTLY SO and B) SEALS love the A-10 (see Point A).

With that said, I think some of the -16 and -15E squadrons could do with the same treatment. We have a member or two alive today because of the timely delivery of ordnance by one or more of those platforms.

(Though the handful of JTACs I've spoken to prefer the Eagle over the Viper)

We had T-shirts made after this. The guy telling our CCT “bring it in closer” was answered with “man, I love you.”

You could feel the 30mm rounds impacting the ground, trees, etc in your chest. The area was totally shredded.

edit: not my video but I was at the end of the convoy using a truck mounted gun interlocking fire.

Last edited:
We had T-shirts made after this. The guy telling our CCT “bring it in closer” was answered with “man, I love you.”

You could feel the 30mm rounds impacting the ground, trees, etc in your chest. The area was totally shredded.

edit: not my video but I was at the end of the convoy using a truck mounted gun interlocking fire.

You've taken me back, Brother. From the GAU-8 to the wonderfully gratifying brrrrrrrrrrp of the M134's on AH-1s...as the Cobras dipped nose-down and smoked the living fuck out of our pesky Charlies. Goddammit...there is absolutely nothing in the world that gives me wood more than on-target CAS. Loved A-1s...loved Cobras...I know how you guys must feel about A-10s.

Two F4s screaming in over the tree tops and dropping hot jelly on the bastards is also incredibly satisfying. Nothing takes the Evil out of the AO faster than nape.

I often think about how social media and everyone running around with cameras has changed how we train and prepare for war.

There is a PhD and history book in this: the role of established and pop media during conflicts: WWII to the present. We know that North Vietnam used propaganda against the US by having 'journalists' and photographers publish in small town newspapers, which hastened turning the tide of American opinion against US intervention in Vietnam. That was probably the first conflict where it was so documented.

We know that social media and cell phone photography has changed how we police, how we deliver medicine, how we act in public....

I often think about how social media and everyone running around with cameras has changed how we train and prepare for war.

What we were doing in Vietnam on the worst days was kiddie school to our senior Marine officers. They'd been platoon and company commanders on Peliliu, Saipan, Tarawa, in Korea...200 dead Americans every week in SVN was good day in the Pacific.

To get back on topic: The Mandalorians would appreciate the A-10's unique capabilities.

I don’t think a 21st century commander would remain in command with rates like that. 1SGs loose their shit if a trooper misses an annual dental screening.

The 25th ID's Stryker BDE took a mere fraction of that in Iraq and its division commander shut down the BDE in Afghanistan. He didn't want the div. overall to have too many casualties so he restricted his maneuver elements in Afghanistan to within a certain distance of their FOBs.

The 25th ID's Stryker BDE took a mere fraction of that in Iraq and its division commander shut down the BDE in Afghanistan. He didn't want the div. overall to have too many casualties so he restricted his maneuver elements in Afghanistan to within a certain distance of their FOBs.

I first read “cavities“ instead of casualties and sadly, I wasn’t shocked either way.

I don’t think a 21st century commander would remain in command with rates like that. 1SGs loose their shit if a trooper misses an annual dental screening.

I'd suspect precision munitions, drones, night vision, acog rifle sights, satellites, GPS, laser targeting systems, tactical & medical innovations etc help those 21st century commanders significantly keeping casualty numbers below the level of public intolerance.

Gulf War One was the showcase. Precision munitions were demonstrated to the world. Blue casualties were astonishingly light. Since then, the public expects low numbers.

In just eight-weeks during the Lam Son 719 operation we lost some 400 helicopters. Can you imagine if that happened today?

Last edited:
I'd suspect precision munitions, drones, night vision, acog rifle sights, satellites, GPS, laser targeting systems, tactical & medical innovations etc help those 21st century commanders significantly keeping casualty numbers below the level of public intolerance.

Gulf War One was the showcase. Precision munitions were demonstrated to the world. Blue casualties were astonishingly light. Since then, the public expects low numbers.

In just eight-weeks during the Lam Son 719 operation we lost some 400 helicopters. Can you imagine if that happened today?

My dad's last tour (of 3) on VN he was intel chief for HMLA-167, that was either 70-71, or 71-72; I have his diary. Every day there is an entry that goes something like this: "today we lost aircraft 12345 to enemy fire, LT. Jones, CAPT. Smith, LCPL. Franks presumed killed during crash."

400 would be 90+ percent of the CH-47 fleet or half of our Apaches or 27% of our Blackhawks. It would be all of the Marine MV-22's (by 100) OR all MV-22's and CH-53's combined or every single HMLA squadron in the Marines.

Back