.I need advice- I'd like to be a Navy EOD Officer

@racing_kitty

What made you want to join at first? How long did you stay? Why did you leave when you did?

What's your current job, and how hard was it to get a job after leaving the military?

Do you have any regrets about your experience?

Throughout your military experience, did you have a family? If so, how hard was it to spend time, and how was family time in general?

If you could give yourself any advice before you started your military career, what would it be?

@racing_kitty

What made you want to join at first? How long did you stay? Why did you leave when you did?

What's your current job, and how hard was it to get a job after leaving the military?

Do you have any regrets about your experience?

Throughout your military experience, did you have a family? If so, how hard was it to spend time, and how was family time in general?

If you could give yourself any advice before you started your military career, what would it be?

I'm just seeing this post. I'll make a more detailed reply later on this evening.

@AWOP, I'm not going to go into any particular order, but I will go ahead and answer your questions here on the open board. I thought about going to a PM to do it, but I figured "What the hell. Let's put this shit in the open, in case someone actually communes with the search button later on down the road." I'm not going to get overly specific, but I'll give you the answers you seek as best I can. With beer in hand, here we go...

What's my job now? I'm a luxury travel consultant for an established brick-and-mortar agency based in Atlanta, GA. It's not the first job I've had since leaving the service, but it's been the most enjoyable. I won't lie, I seriously lucked into this job, but the folks I work with/for see that I'm really good with what I do, and they recognize my potential. I spent a lot of time as a tech traveling, and not just to the ME. I was blessed to see a great deal of the US and the world at large while on Mother Army's dime (the USSS picked up the tab more often than not, so I got SPOILED).

Next, you ask what made me want to join. It depends on what you're referring to. EOD was my second MOS. I was one of those weird kids that wanted to join the military when I was in grade school. No shit, I grew up wanting to be the first woman in the infantry, and eight-year-old RK kept a quarter by her bed with which to test her hospital corners. You could say that it was a given that I was going to enlist, but it was a wild guess as to what my MOS was going to be. My ASVAB was high enough that I had my choice of MOS, and I went with the signal corps because I landed a massive signing bonus (by pre-9/11 standards). That was when I learned my first lesson: NEVER choose your job just because of the money. I did quite well in my MOS, and cross-trained on all kinds of systems, old and new, terrestrial and extraterrestrial. I had O-3's and O-4's from all across the AO seeking out my expertise as an E-4, and I was holding an E-6 slot for a few months.

I wasn't satisfied, though. Disgusted was a more accurate term. I wanted absolutely NOTHING to do with anything concerning communications. In fact, I'd made several jokes about going to live in the woods like the Unabomber after I ETS'd (ironic, eh?). A friend of mine put me in touch with an Army EOD officer that she was friends with, and he put the bug in my ear. Small teams, relative autonomy, vast amounts of knowledge and the authority to use it as we saw fit, the ability to do my job both stateside AND overseas, and the chance to blow ginormous smoking holes in the ground without going to jail? Fuck yes!!! The rest, as they say, is history.

Don't get me wrong, demo is fun! I live for that punch to the sternum after you pull the igniter on a few hundred pounds of bang, but there's so much more to it than that. There's a reason that the EOD motto has always been "Initial success or total failure" (RADM Tillotson be damned). For every bomb that you defuse, for every IED that you defeat, that's one more infantryman that gets to go home to his wife at the end of the tour. That's one more combat engineer that drives his Husky in through the gates without earning a Purple Heart. The IED's sneak up and try to bite the poor bastard on foot, and they never know it's there. Once they find it, it's YOUR job to walk in the "stupid direction" of a pissed off pile of high explosives. You WILLINGLY put one foot in front of the other, fully cognizant of the fact that the next step could very well be your last on account of that doowhitchit about 50m in front of you (or its ugly twin that nobody found before you walked down on it). I made my peace early with my deity, because I'd already done more by age 30 than most would do in their entire lives. I was not the only one to do so. That's why the brotherhood is so small and so tight knit. We all know that our lives are on the line, and we're all okay with it.

Why did I get out? Family issues. I have one child, a daughter, and there came a time when I needed to focus more on raising her than saving the world. I had every intention of doing a full 30 years as a bomb jockey, but I had personal issues crop up. When I say "issues," I actually mean a perfect storm of events within seven months that most chains of command would never see in their entire military careers, much less almost all at once. These same issues kept me from going out as a contractor with the six-figure salaries that came with my expertise. The oldest members on the board remember that time, and they were there to support me in my darkest hours. I can't fully express my gratitude for their support. After my EOD family, the folks here at Shadowspear held me together the most (and I received a massive amount of EOD support).

That said, before that moment came, I had the support of both my family and my ex's family when it came to raising my daughter. Before I remarried, she spent a great deal of time with the paternal family (the ex and I were on opposing deployment schedules). If I wasn't overseas, I was off supporting the Secret Service for whatever reason. If I wasn't deployed, I was still gone over half the year.

Again, though, I was the outlier. There aren't a lot of techs with tits, and that's just the way it is. Motherhood is a different beast. That doesn't mean family time is impossible. I saw several successful marriages during my time as an EOD tech. An EOD spouse needs to be as hard as their spouse, male or female. The longest lasting marriages were to strong-ass spouses. For the sake of brevity, that's the best way to put it. Family time was hard as fuck to come by, but that made me cherish every moment that much more.

Do I regret anything? No. Absolutely not. I do wish that I had chosen EOD as a pre-9/11 MOS, but that's neither here nor there. Having my old MOS gave me an appreciation of "Big Boy Rules," and a drive to never go back to what I left behind. The satisfaction I derived from surviving another call was the kind I felt to the bone, regardless of what I had to do to survive it. You could say I developed a taste for it. It never goes away.

The best advice I could give is to never make your choice for the money or the prestige. That's how you get self-serving assholes in the ranks, the likes of which could give zero fucks about the welfare of his men on any given day, so long as it didn't result in a negative bullet on his evaluation report. Never forget where you started from, and always consider the troops that serve under you. It's not just your life that's in your hands.

Perhaps this is a little longer than some folks might want to read, but it's a fair summation of answers to the questions you posed. PM me if you have any more questions.

Last edited:
Thank you for your response. I loved the long explanation and everything you had to say. Thank you again.

AWOP,
I know I'm coming back from Ooh-Rah taking me to the woodshed on my own question thread--I haven't gotten my ass handed to me that fast since I wrestled the Marine LCpl at the end of Field Ops ;-]. However, I do have some advice from what I have researched and the EODs I have learned from.
When I first decided that I wanted to go into the military, I wanted to do EOD Officer. However, the more I researched it and when I talked to some EODs, I decided I didn't want to do it. Why? Because of one simple thing. Navy EOD Officers barely see any sort of field time. For the most part they do admin stuff and coordinate. You don't usually have a whole unit of EODs headed by an officer in the field. Usually (at least from what I've read and have been told), the enlisted EODs are parceled out to the SEAL Teams and to other places while the officers keep track of it all from inside a room.
I'm still wrestling with my dilemma on whether to go enlisted SWCC or USMC Infantry Officer, but my advice to you if you want to get field time as an officer is to try going SEALs. If you have your heart set on EOD, then try the enlisted route.

Respectfully,
SN Kresss, U.S.NSCC

- Mod Hat On -

I said before and I'll say again....read the forum....a lot. For like a full year, use the search function and find rabbit holes to go down.

Look man, you are 15 and eager. Cool. But you have zero practical experience to offer anyone in this thread and perhaps you should re-read the Racing_Kitty post from July 18th and realize that after her post....there really is no advice left to give in this thread.

Bottom line - don't offer advice to anyone seeking military guidance. The winning phrase is, "you are out of your lane, @USNSCC_Guru ".

Ooh-rah,
Maybe you didn't see the ;-] that I put by that sentence. I understand perfectly well what you are saying. I was making a joke.

As to the post from Racing_Kitty, you are right. I did not see her post until after I posted my reply. I was only trying to be helpful by telling what I have found by talking to people WITH experience.

Respectfully,
SN Kress, U.S.NSCC

Ooh-rah,
Maybe you didn't see the ;-] that I put by that sentence. I understand perfectly well what you are saying. I was making a joke.

As to the post from Racing_Kitty, you are right. I did not see her post until after I posted my reply. I was only trying to be helpful by telling what I have found by talking to people WITH experience.

Respectfully,
SN Kress, U.S.NSCC

Frankly, nobody cares what you were told. We don't know you, you're 15 and have almost zero life experience, and you are 100% out of your lane having never worn a uniform. You can caveat your statements with"what I've read", "what I've been told", and smiley faces, and it doesn't matter because we don't deal in that sort of information. You are 100% unqualified to offer career advice.

Also, drop the "Respectfully, SN Kress, U.S.NSCC" from your posts. I'm sure you're proud of it, but orgs like it and JROTC offer you zero credibility outside of those orgs. You're a weekend dirt track racer offering advice to NASCAR drivers.

Stick around, read, don't post, and learn.

One last piece of advice: any response beyond some version of "I understand" will not be viewed in a positive light by the membership or staff.

Good luck.

I can take constructive criticism here. I understand what you are saying. I probably should not have mentioned my age. It gives people the wrong impression. I'm not going to sit and have an argument. I'm not so sure that it is wrong for me to give the same information to others that I have been given by others, but in Rome you must do as the Romans do. I will make sure to refrain from posting on here in the future.

Do it because you want to do it man. There are a ton of guys on here that didn't have direct access to what they wanted to do, and they still did it. If you want to be a Navy EOD officer then do it. Also, you could get direct access by going enlisted and then trying to get a commission later. What is more important to you? Is it to be be an officer or an EOD operator? You may not get direct access to EOD if you go straight officer, but you may not ever get that commission if you go straight EOD. You have good PST scores, and you would probably be in the top 10% of your class with just your run time. Very few guys in my prep class had 8:30 on there run. Work on being comfortable with water and start swimming with fins. My buddy is about to be an EOD and he said the water portion is an ass kicker, and he was what some call a BUD/s dud (I hate that term. Most people who use it would not even have the balls to even try.) as well. Kick ass man and train yourself to want it more than anything else.

I can take constructive criticism here. I understand what you are saying. I probably should not have mentioned my age. It gives people the wrong impression. I'm not going to sit and have an argument. I'm not so sure that it is wrong for me to give the same information to others that I have been given by others, but in Rome you must do as the Romans do. I will make sure to refrain from posting on here in the future.
D1353453-E8EE-493A-84F7-B5E666CCCF6A.gif

@AWOP Don’t forget about the underwater portion of USN EOD. Most can play in the water. Working underwater well that’s another story...good luck

Last edited:
@AWOP Don’t forget about the underwater portion of USN EOD. Most can play in the water. Working underwater well that’s another story...good luck
Amen Brother! I dive recreationally, which itself requires a lot of focus, so I cant imagine what it takes to work EOD in the water. Hats off to these Pro's!

Thank you. This was, one of the most inspirational comments I've read, so far, on this forum. Wish you all the success and happiness in your life.

also particularily Teufel's last gif sent my sides to a distant galaxy and made me choke to near death, to not weak everyone up. Thx.

Back