Insight on chances of an inter-service transfer to attend BUD/s?

Brandon E

Recon Marine
Verified SOF
I'm an active duty Marine looking for any wisdom on the chances of attending BUD/s. I have talked to several recruiters but none have followed up or have given a definite yes or no. Also, I have tried several times to get ahold of the PSR responsible for my area but deployed before I was able to touch basis.

There are two Marines at my current command that are in the process of finishing their BUD/S packages. I will get in touch with them and report back.

Sorry about the wait. I PM'd someone back but never posted the info.

Currently there is no program in place for Marines to attend BUD/S while on AD. The Marines I have worked with that will be/are planning to attend BUD/S are doing so after their contracts are up. Most of the Marine O's are not retaining their commissions and are instead enlisting in the Navy with BUD/S contracts because of how few officer slots there are.

I know on the Navy side we have conditional release programs in place to go Blue to Green for Ranger/SF, unfortunately it does not look like Marines have the same programs in place for BUD/S.

You have to look at it this way. The BUD/S program doesn't have a lack of candidates lining up at the door. No one is going to bend over backwards to facilitate inter-service transfers. The Marine Corps will not facilitate an easy transition to another service. It's not going to be an easy path to take. I have heard of Marines going SEALs but they have all gotten out before starting BUD/s. Well I know a Marine who is going to attend BUD/s while still in the Marine Corps but he is a special case. Have you considered MARSOC or reconnaissance? There are well established paths for Marines to take to get into those communities. I have also heard of Marines going into the Special Forces as well, both on the active and guard side of the house. Actually one of my friends did it and he was a Naval Surface Warfare Officer before he enlisted in the SF.

I am awaiting orders to SOI/BRC following my recent RELM and am glad I did and that I didn't pursue the Navy anymore than I did. They're brothers, definitely, but I can't see myself anywhere else than with my Marines. I'm glad you replied to this as I just posted a reply to the Radio Recon/ BRC thread you were giving advice on. Looking forward to any widsom. Thank you.

-Brandon

I am awaiting orders to SOI/BRC following my recent RELM and am glad I did and that I didn't pursue the Navy anymore than I did. They're brothers, definitely, but I can't see myself anywhere else than with my Marines. I'm glad you replied to this as I just posted a reply to the Radio Recon/ BRC thread you were giving advice on. Looking forward to any widsom. Thank you.

-Brandon

Glad to hear the news, Brandon. Best of luck, and keep us posted.

-Brandon

Congrats, man. Best of luck with the course.

Here's a piece of advice for SOI, it may have changed since early 2003, but we did very little PT (SOI West). We humped everywhere, but I think we only had three or four actual platoon/company PT sessions. One of the last events at ITB was/is a PFT, and the lack of PT showed. I graduated boot doing 22 pull ups and when I left ITB I was down to 14. I was a scrawny fucker weighing a measly 155lbs at 6'2", so that's pretty sad. On the weekends off I would go to the gym, but let's face it, that isn't nearly enough to grow, let alone maintain upper body strength. You will have time in the field to smoke and joke, so I would suggest using that time to do pack PT. The biggest complaint for any line company is boots coming from SOI not being in shape. Now think of that going from ITB to BRC.

Best of luck on your upcoming endeavor.

Thank you. I can see how that might play a factor, especially in the pool. Surely MART will help close that gap left by lack of time to PT in SOI. Also, injuries. What becomes of those injured during MART/BRC who are willing to rehabilitate and return to continue enduring the punishment? I saw alot of solid-minded and physically fit Marines go through A&S and not make it because of injuries. The invite back was there for them, so how does that work for BRC?

Thank you. I can see how that might play a factor, especially in the pool. Surely MART will help close that gap left by lack of time to PT in SOI. Also, injuries. What becomes of those injured during MART/BRC who are willing to rehabilitate and return to continue enduring the punishment? I saw alot of solid-minded and physically fit Marines go through A&S and not make it because of injuries. The invite back was there for them, so how does that work for BRC?

They will roll guys back. I have known guys who have gotten stress fractures and been allowed to roll back a class or two. I broke my ankle in the beginning of BRC and was allowed to continue. This was back in the day though when BRC was down in Coronado and they would let you keep going until your heart stopped.

That's good to know. I have known a few guys who were reclassed into another MOS supposedly because of injuries sustained during BRC. I'm not sure of the truth in their stories though. Glad I could get some true insight into this. Thank you.

-Brandon
Well done. Please keep the board updated on your progress.

Get after it, and good luck.

That's good to know. I have known a few guys who were reclassed into another MOS supposedly because of injuries sustained during BRC. I'm not sure of the truth in their stories though. Glad I could get some true insight into this. Thank you.
It probably depends on the Marine and the level of injury.

Back