Introduction

Kit C

Unverified
Hello, I'm Kit.
I came across ShadowSpear when searching for information on joining Army Special Forces.
I'm 34, female, in the process of joining the Army active duty. My recruiter pretty quickly let me know signing up for 18x isn't a possibility due to my age, but that signing up after enlisting as 11b would be possible. I've been concerned that I will get pushed aside and ignored once finishing basic training, so I came here to find some advice already given to others past the age limit for enlisting as 18x.
Much of the information has been really encouraging and greatly appreciated.

To give some insight into who I am and why I want to join Army Special Forces..

I grew up in an abusive family, it took a lot to get away from them including ending up homeless. That was about eleven years ago. I knew I needed to avoid any schooling or career goals when I initially got away, so that I could heal and figure out how to live on my own. It's been a bit rough, I've slept in the rain without shelter, spent as little as $6 a month on food, slept in 14 degrees with a sleeping bag that only worked down to 20 degrees. After starting to get financially stable, I got to work on recovering my body from an unwanted starvation diet. I've definitely figured out how to survive on very little. I no longer have a family, but have some really good friends. I'm an ISFJ personality type on Myers Briggs. "Responsibility", "Analytical", "Belief", "Developer", and "Relator", are my highest talents on CliftonStrengths test. I've found curiosity is a great tool to understanding and that on the other side of fear is often something worthwhile.

There are many reasons why I want to join the Army, specifically Special Forces. My knowledge of Army Special Forces isn't perfect, but I am still striving to learn more. One of the things that attracts me to that path is helping allies in other countrys by training them. Having to start my life with only what I could carry, moving to a city without a job, place to live or knowing a single person, I understand the truth behind "Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach him to fish, he eats for life". As much as anyone may desire to, it's not possible to rescue the whole world, but helping people to be able to defend and rescue themselves from insurgents (or to become an insurgents) when we can't be there, is possible. I am also very attracted to being part of a tight knit team. I love my friends dearly, but most don't understand my instincts in the willingness to fight and die for them, they've never been harmed and can't perceive that anything truly evil could ever reach them. I only have a few very close friends, I've found most people only want easy friendships as opposed to solid ones. I want to be able to not just give my all, but for my all to be received and wanted.

I want to be in a place I can make the most difference and put my strengths to use. I know what it's like to hide in a closet as a little girl, praying for God to send someone to rescue me and that rescue never came. To then have to figure out how to rescue myself. I know I may not look the part, but I know that no one in need of rescue cares about who comes, just that someone be willing to show up.

I know my chances as an older female are slim, but I'm willing.

I also like how strict Army Special Forces are, how even one's own teammates can vote them out in training. I wouldn't expect to be held to any different standard than the men and I've heard they expect the same from women. Not trying to be a guy here, I just wouldn't want to be accepted if I couldn't do the job at the same level. It's not about my worthiness, but about the lives of everyone around me, if I can't do it, I'm a risk to them and I shouldn't be there.

I don't know yet if I would fail, but I'd like a chance to try to succeed. In the event of not making it, I can at least know how far I can push myself and figure out from there where I can be put to best use.

"De oppreso liber" is something I would be immeasurably honored and grateful to live by, that sounds the most purposeful life to me.

Thanks for reading, I hope I didn't bore anyone with too much info!

Back