Looking for a Special Forces Mentor

Alright, my situational awareness was poor, i know. What would have been the proper way to handle this situation?

You could never know, henry.......aploogies. Truly!

I can be a bitter, mean, sonofabitchh....and I'll eventually learn to spell......

That doesn't mean that I don't warmly welcome you to the site.

'Nuff said.

henry-

First things first...check your ego at the door. You played college ball...great thats awesome but it aint gonna do anything to impress anyone on here. Second, no one is going to spoon feed you how to make into any SOF career...not that that is even possible. There are tons of sources on here for selection school/ Q course/ BUDS...whatever your flavor. There are forums for physical fitness, fieldcraft/ tradecraft, which would be where to go for your first two questions. Do the research, put in the effort, break yourself and be humble. Then once you've done everything that you can of your own accord repeat...do more research, put in more effort, destroy yourself and be humble. Then when you hit a road block where you need advice and experienced answers think your questions through and fire away. We always need more good guys in the service no matter where you are used and we welcome you. If this little lecture from myself or the post on here so far hurt your feelings you may wanna work on growing some thicker skin or reevaluate why you want to be here.

Thanks for the advice.

Sir, thank you for reviewing my post, i appreciate your constructive criticism. I am a humble person, i believe in chain of command, i belief in unity(One team one mind.) and i believe in respecting others. If i came accross as being egotistical, believe me, i am the total opposite of that. I don't need to be spoon fed, i just came here to learn from the best in the business, and-to learn from the men who have been through it all. I was justing seeking a little advice in other to keep preparing both, mentally and physically in order to perform to the best of my ability. I have evaluated, time and time again, my reason for wanting to join the Special Forces. I want to be part of a team that serves a greater purpose and bring out the best in one another. Your words did not offend me, they only motivate me to keep on getting better and to reform my character. I am here to learn and grow.

All right Henry you thinking to much on this stuff and need to just do it.
Provide the following-
First off what is you hieght and weight??
How many push ups can you do in 2 minutes?
How many sit ups can you do in 2 minutes?
what is your time on a 2 mile and 5 mile run?
Can you carry a 50 pound backpack 12 miles in 3 hours?
Answer these questions then we will see if you can even show-up and be an 18X.

These are the answers for the abouve questions.

My height is 6'0 and Weight is 248 lbs
How many push ups can you do in 2 minutes? Push ups- 70 push ups within two minutes.
How many sit ups can you do in 2 minutes? Sit ups- 60 within two minutes
what is your time on a 2 mile and 5 mile run? 2 mile - 16 minutes, 5 mile run- 46 minutes
Can you carry a 50 pound backpack 12 miles in 3 hours? I haven't done a 12 miles march with a lb backpack, but i don't back down a challenge.
Answer these questions then we will see if you can even show-up and be an X".

p.s These numbers may not be satisfactory or good enough, but believe me, i am working hard to improve in all fields.

I would say download the SFAS prep book and follow the program, join an orienteering club, buy the "Get Selected" book, watch the Discovery Show "Two weeks in Hell".

Oh yeah and start PTing.

A basic fact regarding land nav. You can get by, map only. Compass only is difficult.

Oh, and welcome BTW.

Okay. I'm a new guy so I have read through this particular discussion and others and I was hoping that I could get in contact with someone for a private message about RASP and SFAS. These questions are not seeming to be answered in the forums I have searched through, granted the MWR only gives me 20 #$#% damn minutes, so I was hoping I could get into contact with RAGE275 (suggested to me in my intro) or anyone else willing to help me with a few particular questions or to offer me a chance for their guidance (maybe even willing to entrust some of their expertise in a mentorship) as I pursue a spec ops path.

I have made an introduction in the forum and if I screwed this up I apologize I'm trying my best with the limited time I get to adhere to the rules here so please bear with a FNG as he navigates this badass site. Hopefully I won't get flamed too bad. Please know in advance I deeply appreciate all help and will look for every opportunity to open my mind and shut my trap. Thanks in advance.

/Kagespartan

If you have a question ask it on the open board so others after you can learn.

I second that idea. If your questions are legit, you should have no fear of being flamed. Moreover, no one person on the site is an expert in all aspects of SOF, more heads are usually better. Think about what you want to ask, do your research, and post up.

SkrewzLoose- No that was not my intention whatsoever. Why would I want that anyway? You wouldn't even be worth the position you get because you didn't earn it.

Well my question concerns RASP. Obviously it has changed since RIP but I was wondering if anyone had any kind of current information about the ability to attain such a contract during today's Army situation? My leadership has advised me to seek SFAS as my goal but I really want the tan beret. However the recruiter my PSG talked to said it would be almost impossible to get me that contract already being in the infantry. I feel like smoke is being blown up my ass because in all honesty me and PSG don't get along great, I am not disrespectful or anything...never have been but he plays favorites and I beat some of his "boys" in PT and events we have done and every time he accuses me of cheating or saying I didn't go all the way down on pushups or I skipped part of the 2 mile course. He just mentors himself to certain people and if you're not in that group well you get to learn the same things the hard way.

I'm not whining I hope I didn't come off like that. I sure as hell respect him...he's done 5 combat deployments and knows a lot more than me. But my 1sgt asked me the other day if my PSG told me what he learned and I said yes but the way he talked was more like I had a chance of getting one instead of no chance as my PSG told me.

Just looking for a clear answer. I'm not going to try to walk around my PSG's back and find out information from Company or Battalion or Brigade.. That just leads to trouble I don't want. I don't feel its wise to go over your chain of command for things. But I do want this information because I want to do this and I am kind of at my wits end. Thank you all in advance.

/Kagespartan

Henry,

There's a broad range of ages, body types, etc that make it. It's already been said, 5 miler, 12 mile, ruck and PT test are the prime measuring sticks, however, also make sure you can climb (everything- ropes, ladders, obstacles in general) and carry things. The key point is, you have to do all these things and BE ABLE TO DO THEM AGAIN TOMORROW, AND THE NEXT DAY- for however long selection is. A skinny marathon runner who puts up a 2:30 12 mile time is no good if he is too broken off to do anything tomorrow. I'd say being on the bigger side is an advantage, since strength is the most persistent physical attribute- meaning, it has a longer expiration date than endurance. You know you are big and strong enough to do it, so all you have to focus on is endurance and minimal maintenance work on your strength. There are hundreds of programs, resources, etc that will get you to where you need to be.

Don't worry about land nav, you get a little BS class in basic that will at least introduce you to the principals. In selection you get a day long block of instruction and then get led around by the instructors so you can see how it looks- it's more than enough to get you through.

Back