New Army Rules for Tattoos, Grooming On the Way

The outlines are pretty much only placeholders because most guys I know have their one artist / shop they get all their work done at (usually at their homes of record). They don't want to get the whole sleeve done locally so they just get the outlines so they can be grandfathered in and finish it later.
I'd recomend they go with the new guidlines and not the current guidelines.

I'd recomend they go with the new guidlines and not the current guidelines.

I agree that it's not the wisest of choices but they're all grown men who are for the most part my rank or higher. They know the potential repercussions of their actions and decide whether it's worth it or not. That being said the infantry environment is very pro-tattoos so I doubt command will pursue any adverse action.

That being said the infantry environment is very pro-tattoos so I doubt command will pursue any adverse action.

Don't underestimate the sway of "one more pay grade." O's and SNCO's will seek it (many will) at all costs and some won't let their men stand in the way. Trust me, there are quite a few spineless 11A's who will calculate retention numbers, the graces of their rater, and all of the other variables...and the men won't be on that list.

Generally speaking you may be right, but political winds will trump tradition in this day and age.

Don't underestimate the sway of "one more pay grade." O's and SNCO's will seek it (many will) at all costs and some won't let their men stand in the way. Trust me, there are quite a few spineless 11A's who will calculate retention numbers, the graces of their rater, and all of the other variables...and the men won't be on that list.

Generally speaking you may be right, but political winds will trump tradition in this day and age.

Unfortunately I've noted that some senior NCOs and officers will throw their men under the bus in a heartbeat for the sake of politics and their evaluations. I understand the need to follow orders and also sympathize with the ethos of taking care of your men however I won't on a political landscape that I don't fully understand.

As for my own lane I've avoided the issue entirely by already having all of the visible tattoos I want :thumbsup:.

I won't *comment* on a political landscape that I don't fully understand.

Feel free to edit or splice my previous post so I don't have a double post... I still haven't located the edit button yet.

I won't *comment* on a political landscape that I don't fully understand.

Feel free to edit or splice my previous post so I don't have a double post... I still haven't located the edit button yet.

User edits are restricted to vetted .mil folks or long-time members who are civilians and known to other memebers of the board.

As for your other comments, I totally understand. In the interest of disclosure, I'm a prior Guard guy who spent his entire time in Signal, but on both sides of the fence. Politics in the military is a nasty business regardless of branch.

I guess we should have seen this coming.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/04/30/military-to-review-hair-rules-after-complaints/

http://www.armytimes.com/article/20140429/NEWS07/304290063/

Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel has directed all of the services to review their hairstyle policies in response to a letter from the Congressional Black Caucus.
The lawmakers wrote to Hagel on April 10 in response to an online controversy sparked by the Army’s new grooming regulation.

Man wouldn't be cool if the Army went back to long hair and beards? I'm not a long hair guy, but I sure as shit don't do the high and tight shit anymore. But I fucking HATE shaving...

As for the female hair, nails and makeup standards. I saw some of the most fucked up shit by female officers and SNCOs while at Fort Sam, that I wonder if anyone actually knew the standard, much less followed them. Crazy fucking nails, with stupid paint scheme, colored hair, bright lipstick and even saw a 1LT with smokey eyes.

Man wouldn't be cool if the Army went back to long hair and beards? I'm not a long hair guy, but I sure as shit don't do the high and tight shit anymore. But I fucking HATE shaving...

As for the female hair, nails and makeup standards. I saw some of the most fucked up shit by female officers and SNCOs while at Fort Sam, that I wonder if anyone actually knew the standard, much less followed them. Crazy fucking nails, with stupid paint scheme, colored hair, bright lipstick and even saw a 1LT with smokey eyes.

I wish I could "like" this at least 3 times due to the fact you typed "smokey eyes". :thumbsup:

...even saw a 1LT with smokey eyes.

We had an AF E-7 here at Bagram a few years ago who had permanent eyeliner. I don't know if it is allowed or not, but she has it.

As an aside, she'd also lost a bunch of weight and did P90X every day, even teaching a class in one of the gyms. I could walk by her at breakfast and remark on the amount of starch on her tray and I promise you, she would leave the office an hour early to do cardio on the days I commented on her hash brown consumption.

We had an AF E-7 here at Bagram a few years ago who had permanent eyeliner. I don't know if it is allowed or not, but she has it.

As an aside, she'd also lost a bunch of weight and did P90X every day, even teaching a class in one of the gyms. I could walk by her at breakfast and remark on the amount of starch on her tray and I promise you, she would leave the office an hour early to do cardio on the days I commented on her hash brown consumption.

Hashbrowns AND Salsa Night??? War is hell.

Bottom line is that Army regs are clearly NOT about good order and discipline but rather...geez, who knows!

Next thing you know they'll totally ban Five Fingers!

IIRC, permanent eye liner originally wasn't allowed, but was changed later in my career to being allowed. I can't remember for certain.

Back