Review New Book (Relentless Strike) From Naylor Raises Concern

Actually doing the audio book since it helps with my 2 hour commute each way to work. Seems like a very general overview without great detail or explanation. Just wondering if anyone is reading the actual book, and if it has a more thorough breakdown of the events that shaped the development of JSOC.

Actually doing the audio book since it helps with my 2 hour commute each way to work. Seems like a very general overview without great detail or explanation. Just wondering if anyone is reading the actual book, and if it has a more thorough breakdown of the events that shaped the development of JSOC.

You mean this?

New Book From Naylor Raises Concern

Threads merged.

thanks... I didn't see the title listed. I wasn't familiar with this author, but seems like my suspicions were validated... This is a great section of the site, I have about 10 books to add to my library thanks to the reviews I've seen here.

In the book overall, or the amount of info that is disseminated that probably should not be.

In the book overall. The excerpts I read were abou the operators being on missions. This book actually reads like a circle jerk/bitchfest for O-6's and above. Rarely commenting on the individual operators other than when they complain. There are broad overviews of missions, but it is mostly related to how people managed bureaucracy.

In the book overall. The excerpts I read were abou the operators being on missions. This book actually reads like a circle jerk/bitchfest for O-6's and above. Rarely commenting on the individual operators other than when they complain. There are broad overviews of missions, but it is mostly related to how people managed bureaucracy.

My guess is because the bulk of the guys running their mouths are field grade O's, not NCO's. I agree with you though, mission details are there but backstopped by the command and staff side of things. The issue I've noticed is a LOT of his info comes from other books including his own (I'm up to the invasion of Iraq). So far he's a Wikipedia page with about 10-15% new material.

Still, a number of fan boys are beating themselves raw over the book.

My guess is because the bulk of the guys running their mouths are field grade O's, not NCO's. I agree with you though, mission details are there but backstopped by the command and staff side of things. The issue I've noticed is a LOT of his info comes from other books including his own (I'm up to the invasion of Iraq). So far he's a Wikipedia page with about 10-15% new material.

Still, a number of fan boys are beating themselves raw over the book.

I couldn't agree more.

It's seems like Naylor sat down at his desk with books (Killer Elite,The Mission/Men/and Me, Kill Bin Laden, No Easy Day and McCrystals Book) then used them to write major portions of his book.

ZM

Sean Naylor is a Canadian journalist with no military experience to my knowledge. He somehow has gotten multiple people to talk to him about things they shouldn't have. That is his job. He is a journalist. I don't blame him for doing his job and selling books. I just wouldn't talk to him about what I do and I would not recommend that anyone else tell him privileged information either unless you want to see your name in print, both in his book and on your non-judicial punishment paperwork.

A typical journalistic tactic is to befriend, sympathize with, and eventually become a trusted confidant of their subject person; so that the subject feels completely at ease with the presence of the journalist, even at moments when his/her guard is down and all comments are supposedly "off the record." This is exactly what the late Rolling Stone reporter Michael Hastings did to General McCrystal. They gain your confidance and then fuck you in the ass.

Last edited:
A typical journalistic tactic is to befriend, sympathize with, and eventually become a trusted confidant of their subject person; so that the subject feels completely at ease with the presence of the journalist, even at moments when his/her guard is down and all comments are supposedly "off the record." This is exactly what the late Rolling Stone reporter Michael Hastings did to General McCrystal. They gain your confidance and then fuck you in the ass.

So they're skilled in HUMINT tradecraft? ;-)

NZDF had a document that outlined investigative journos as a "threat" a while back. Then that document got released under the OIA and, kapow, media shitstorm. I think it's a fair assessment but they could have probably moderated the language so the sensitive journo types didn't get upset.

Didn't Blaber have a big falling out with Dell Dailey?

He trashes Dailey and if to be believed Dailey deserves it. D's #2 was a guy named Trebon and by all accounts Trebon botched air support during Anaconda in 2002. I tend to believe criticism of Dailey is warranted, but how much and what is fact or what is fiction? I have no idea. One observation made is that both are aviators and their culture makes them too procedural They wouldn't be the first aviators to be out of touch with ground elements and their needs.

...They wouldn't be the first aviators to be out of touch with ground elements and their needs...

I read about Trebon. And it surprised me that with Special Operations honed to such a fine edge in recent years that anyone involved in command would be or could be "out of touch with ground elements and their needs." I always felt Marine aviators, even back in the day, were tuned in to what we, the ground elements, needed.

Last edited:
Back