Physical Fitness Revamp

Sorry, no motor-boating in this post...

Wanted to cover rucking. I have heard 14-15 minute miles with around 40 lb pack is a good pace to be at (I started my rucking about 1 1/2 months ago with zero prior experience and the first week or two was painful due to blisters). I have been pretty steady at my 4 milers being around 13:45 min/mile for the last 3 weeks. Today I decided to stretch it out to an 8 miler. Time was at 15 min/mile but that included one 5 minute break at 4 miles and a boot/sock adjustment at around mile 6 due to hotspots on my heels. I used some national park land that has some logging paths with a mixture of dirt and sand with some slight incline/decline. Ended up with 2 blisters but all in all it felt pretty good. Just wanted opinions on the progress to see if I'm on the right track. Also any opinions on any changes (ruck weight, pace, etc.)?

You may have outrun your headlights by doubling your mileage on terrain your feet weren't conditioned for. Loose sand/ dirt will cause your feet to roll around in your boots causing hotspots and blisters. Foot maintenance should be performed at the first sign of a problem, although you will not always be afforded the opportunity.
All in your tracking down the right path. Understand that a 14-15 minute pace is the low end of the standard. I have had to walk a lot faster, with more weight, for extended periods of time.
Now back to motor boating:p

SBG sends.

Definitely felt the terrain this time vs my normal ruck route. I really felt the increased mileage the next day. I adjusted my socks and relaced the boots to see if that would do the trick. Seemed to help a little, but the blisters still showed up. Since they didn't hurt all that bad I figured it might not be bad idea to get the blisters to see exactly where they show up on my heel to learn what type of maintenance will help in the future.
I completely understand the pace and weight that I'm doing now is just a work up, not a finish line. Should I keep my weight right around 40-45 lbs max, or should I start to increase it slowly over the next few months (I have heard different opinions) into around 50-55 lbs max? As far as distance would it be recommended to keep them in the 4-8 mile range or should I mix in a 12 every once in a while (again I have heard different opinions)?
Thanks for the input SBG

Is there a way to get some kind of cardio in with a cactus juiced foot? I feel like shit since I haven't been able to run or swim.

Also, just out of curiosity, is there any point in putting on some mass? I know it'll happen naturally with a good diet and more weight, but I'm just apprehensive about it, because I don't really want to hinder swimming or running later on. I have a wicked metabolism, but since I'm not running, I should be able to hit the weights in addition to the body weight stuff and pack on some useful muscle.

Is there a way to get some kind of cardio in with a cactus juiced foot? I feel like shit since I haven't been able to run or swim.

Rowing.

Also, just out of curiosity, is there any point in putting on some mass? I know it'll happen naturally with a good diet and more weight, but I'm just apprehensive about it, because I don't really want to hinder swimming or running later on. I have a wicked metabolism, but since I'm not running, I should be able to hit the weights in addition to the body weight stuff and pack on some useful muscle.

No (IMO) Unless you are about to go on an extended op in an austere environment. .02c

Besides, if you can only put on mass when you aren't running, what do you think will happen when you start running again?

Rowing.

No (IMO) Unless you are about to go on an extended op in an austere environment. .02c

Besides, if you can only put on mass when you aren't running, what do you think will happen when you start running again?
I forgot all about rowing, I'll get right on that.
The point would be to sustain it once I start up again, but I didn't make that very clear.
Thanks

Back