pros/cons for sts vs rsq.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AK Trooper

Verified Military
About 2 years ago I spoke to a PJ for the Alaska AG who said that special tactics squadrons and rescue squadrons were night and day different. After reading a post on here from a while ago that seems to contradict this info I was just wondering what the pros and cons to either would be. I would imagine STS falling under SOCOM would have way more funding thus better training. Also, what is the selection process like for 24th STS? They seem kind of like the unsung heroes of JSOC. thanks in advance.

My understanding is that as a PJ on AD you don't shoose the Squadron, the only guarantee is to go Guard.

24th STS selection won't be discussed here. Ever.

About 2 years ago I spoke to a PJ for the Alaska AG who said that special tactics squadrons and rescue squadrons were night and day different. After reading a post on here from a while ago that seems to contradict this info I was just wondering what the pros and cons to either would be. I would imagine STS falling under SOCOM would have way more funding thus better training. Also, what is the selection process like for 24th STS? They seem kind of like the unsung heroes of JSOC. thanks in advance.
So, I'll address a little bit here. @Freefalling is 100% dead on. The 724 STG requires a selection, and that selection is secret like our sister service selections are. No big deal, just moving on that's all.

As for the STS/RQS difference- it's way, way different. Different mission sets (well, different way that we approach mission sets, let's say), different command structure, different command, etc. There are pros and cons. I have worked both and have things that I loved and things that I disliked about both. It's just a personality choice, really. As an AD guy, you are assigned to an STS/RQS nearly purely off manning, skill position, rank, needs of the AF, etc. Some guys can come out of the pipeline and work only RQS's, through their lives, and never have an STS rotation.

I will say that depending on the team and who's running it, you can have a great RQS (trained/funded/opportunities for advanced missions) and a bland STS. Very personality dependent.

Hope I answered a bit of your questions.

I'll add to amlove21's words from the larger RQS perspective. Depending on what's going on in the world what an RQS gets tasked to do can vary greatly. From austere CSAR alert coverage for a major conventional war, to augmenting Army MEDEVAC, to PR support for SOF in some corner of the world.

I'll add to amlove21's words from the larger RQS perspective. Depending on what's going on in the world what an RQS gets tasked to do can vary greatly. From austere CSAR alert coverage for a major conventional war, to augmenting Army MEDEVAC, to PR support for SOF in some corner of the world.
To show you this- I have had a better time at the RQS I am at right now that guys that are working at the old STS I came from. Better missions, better personalities, etc. It really just depends, and I won't disparage either. Of course I have my perference, but that's just me.

Thank you.
No prob.

24th STS selection won't be discussed here. Ever.

Get through the PJ Pipe and they will let you know who does what.

So, I'll address a little bit here. @Freefalling is 100% dead on. The 724 STG requires a selection, and that selection is secret like our sister service selections are. No big deal, just moving on that's all.

appreciate the response. didn't mean to ruffle any feathers, I'm just kind of inquisitive by nature.

appreciate the response. didn't mean to ruffle any feathers, I'm just kind of inquisitive by nature.
You don't know what you don't know, you aren't being penalized for that. But we need to hold that line because it's important.

Like my main man Christopher Wallace said, "But if you don't now, no you know, Trooper" (I paraphrased).

Reactions: AWP
If I could prove the existence of God I'm pretty sure He would damn this thread.

@Raptor you need to slow your roll. We aren't a bunch of 16 YO's and your dialogue is falling flat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back