Questions Regarding Enlistment Etc.

JohhnyCrash

Unverified
Hey all. I apologize if I am not posting in the correct area but I have a few questions:

I am an LSU graduate with a political science degree. I am 24 years old and I want to enlist into the Army, Navy, Or Marine Corps do join a Special Operations Force. I understand that it is a longshot and that most individuals are DOR's or can not qualify physically. I want to go in to talk with the recruiters knowing that I already have the information about the organizations and that I am making the right decision. Therefore I am hoping that I can get some things cleared up.

PS - (I do not want to be an officer btw.. Maybe down the line but I would like to actually see how things work from the ground up and put in my time before I try and lead)

I know this is asking a lot but if someone could help me out in regards to describing the roles and function of each unit I am interested in and what they do. I am not asking which one is the best (I am not an idiot who cares about that). I am interested in which mission set/skill set that I would be the most interested/comfortable/best with. I have done all the research I can (books/wiki/unit description/command structure/lurking threads/etc) but I want honest opinions from people within the community since I know none. Comparing and contrasting

1. SEALs
2. USMC Force Recon
3. USMC Recon
4. USMC Deep Recon (is this the same as Force Recon?)
4. MARSOC (Raiders) I know I can't go straight in.. need to complete a tour. Still interested
5. 75th Ranger
6. Green Berets

If I could get a basic (not who is the best) idea of what their mission set, size, training, comparison, culture, command ideology, command environment, general environment, lifestyle, and current use in real world operations I would greatly appreciate it.

Again, I apologize if this is rude or sounds entitled. I just really want some more information before I go to the recruiters next week and I want to be prepared.

:wall:.

If you have done all the research you claim to have done, you must, by now, at least have narrowed down your search to at least a particular branch of the service. Which branch do you think you want to join?

Moved.

To be blunt, this is a bucket of fail for logical reasons.
I am interested in which mission set/skill set that I would be the most interested/comfortable/best with. I have done all the research I can (books/wiki/unit description/command structure/lurking threads/etc) but I want honest opinions from people within the community since I know none. Comparing and contrasting

You did your research but don't understand the mission sets or skills? I'm not trying to be a dick but your post doesn't make any sense. You want our opinions and you haven't even narrowed down your focus? You're shotgunning across every service and if you had done your research you'd know for example that the 75th Ranger Regiment conducts Direct Action and Marine Recon conducts... Recon. Knowing their basic missions how can you not figure out what you're comfortable with?

Also, if you fail then wouldn't you look ata branch that offers something you'd want to do? Fail out of the Army as an 11B and you're "worldwide." Any assignment, any unit...is that what you want? Navy? Hope you enjoy whatever rate is available or what you signed up for. The list goes on. In what branch do you want to work?

Look, we have a thread a gazillion pages long where members went from "zero to hero" and I can honestly say many of us are very proud of the success represented in that thread. We've helped guys arrive at their destination and can help you, but you need to help yourself a bit before we can do anything.

I understand most of the information.. I understand that SEALs do DA, SR, FID, UW and Rangers also do the same thing except they are an elite shock infantry force. From my understanding you would use the 75th to capture an airfield and you would use the SEALs to kill a guy in his house at night without no one knowing he was there. I understand the the 75th is moreover an infantry unit and they adhere to stricter rules and regulations and use formal military greetings whereas the SEALs are a little more relaxed and call each other by first name (what I read... could be wrong). I am rather familiar with the USMC side of special operations but I get a little confused when it comes to Force Recon vs Recon vs Deep Recon Platoon vs MARSOC. There are so many different things going on there that I am not sure exactly what each unit does and how they compare to the SEALs since they are also maritime oriented. I know that the 75th and the Green Berets are maritime capable (one ODA per company for SF I think? not sure about the 75th except I think that RRC is as universally capable). From what I understand Green Beret's are more for FID/UW missions. They do participate in DA missions but that normally the DA mission would be given to the SEALs or 75th depending on location and size of the target.

I am leaning towards the SEALs because from what I have read I understand that once you are at the SEAL Team you are given quite a bit of leeway and responsibility on your own. I heard that uniform standards and military customs and courtesies are altered and relaxed. That fits my personality as I am really laid back until it is time to train or compete. I like that the SEALs operate all over the world (jungle, arctic, desert, maritime, forests, urban, etc) and are inserted via every possible insertion technique. I think that SEALs also have the benefit of being recruited by DEVGRU, CIA -SAD/SOG, and Navy Intel/Counter Intel. I just really wonder how much ground pounding the SEALs will be doing with the draw down of forces in Afghanistan. I love the water but I wouldn't want to be stuck there 24/7 (why I am not interested in SWCC).

I am really curiuous about how MARSOC compares to the SEALs. From what I have read they are moreover a Green Beret answer to a maritime (Pacific theater) problem.

I know that I want to do combat arms so if I did fail out of SOF selection/training I feel like the USMC might be the best bet. If i signed up for 0311 and a slot for Recon... Even if I didn't get selected for Recon I could still be an Rifleman.

Thank you again. I hope that clarified.

:wall:.

If you have done all the research you claim to have done, you must, by now, at least have narrowed down your search to at least a particular branch of the service. Which branch do you think you want to join?

The SEALs really interest me. But so does MAROSC/Force Recon.

Moved.

To be blunt, this is a bucket of fail for logical reasons.

You did your research but don't understand the mission sets or skills? I'm not trying to be a dick but your post doesn't make any sense. You want our opinions and you haven't even narrowed down your focus? You're shotgunning across every service and if you had done your research you'd know for example that the 75th Ranger Regiment conducts Direct Action and Marine Recon conducts... Recon. Knowing their basic missions how can you not figure out what you're comfortable with?

Also, if you fail then wouldn't you look ata branch that offers something you'd want to do? Fail out of the Army as an 11B and you're "worldwide." Any assignment, any unit...is that what you want? Navy? Hope you enjoy whatever rate is available or what you signed up for. The list goes on. In what branch do you want to work?

Look, we have a thread a gazillion pages long where members went from "zero to hero" and I can honestly say many of us are very proud of the success represented in that thread. We've helped guys arrive at their destination and can help you, but you need to help yourself a bit before we can do anything.

Sorry I didn't reply the right way. I did respond though. Thanks again.

I don't comment to much here and tend to keep to myself, but if any of your reason for joining a certain unit is the relaxed standard and wear what you want...please look elsewhere.

I don't comment to much here and tend to keep to myself, but if any of your reason for joining a certain unit is the relaxed standard and wear what you want...please look elsewhere.

Not because of the relaxed standard.. That sounds really bad. I'm just a very motivated individual and I enjoy being given tasks and completing them. I also heard that the relationships between enlisted and Officers in the SEALs is more relaxed. I actually read it in a SOFREP article. They say that there is more camaraderie in the SEAL teams between everybody where the officers in the 75th are worried about their careers. I was not talking about wearing clothes and stuff like that.. I was talking about more brotherhood and camaraderie between all levels of leadership and the fact that the SEALs are given autonomy as SME's.

I apologize if that came off as smartass/stuck up/i'm special. I guess it seemed like those kids who say they can't join the military because if they did they would "hit a drill instructor in the face if they got yelled at." ( i always thought that was ridiculous). Not my intention in the least

https://www.google.com/webhp?source...th=1&ie=UTF-8#q=sofrep.com 75th seals&es_th=1

Mod hat off, SF hat on:

@JohhnyCrash ...son, from reading this you are fucked up as a soup sandwich. Ther was a guy on my Team who had a Master's in Mechanical Engineering and was our Senior Engineer. He was the strac-est most squared away individual you could meet.

You need to rethink your approach to wanting to join the military. Nobody here is gong to do your research, compare units, and compare mission sets and training for you - one - you have be self reliant; two - there is a reason that those comparisons are left off of this board; and three - it shows a lack of motivation and basic intelligence that you want us to tell you what you want to do in the military.

As you can tell, I couldn't give a rat's ass if I damage your feelings. Grow a fucking pair and do something. recruiters don't car eif you know everything about a unit, and you get into this "paralysis by analysis" mode way too easily which is a character flaw and operational detriment. Think on your feet, or go join the government in a capacity more fitting your over-analytical thinking style.

Nobody will do your work or decision making for you in the military, anywhere, unless you are a really fucked up Private Soldier who is out after an initial enlistment.

All I saw in all of your posts, is I want SOF because it's cool... here read this: https://shadowspear.com/vb/threads/why-do-we-do-this-items-to-consider.22382/

And above all - quit fucking arguing like you know everything already... Who, in their right minds, asks a fucking question of people that have experience, and then argues with them like they're an expert? A fucking political science hack, that's who.

I think you're a troll, and not the good kind, the lowercase internet troll of the lowest caliber.

I understand most of the information.. I understand that SEALs do DA, SR, FID, UW and Rangers also do the same thing except they are an elite shock infantry force. From my understanding you would use the 75th to capture an airfield and you would use the SEALs to kill a guy in his house at night without no one knowing he was there.

You clearly don't understand what you're talking about.

Look, I can pick at your post and shred at least 3 or 4 of your misconceptions. I don't know where you found your info or how you processed it, but you're wrong. Regardless, it sounds like you want to be a SEAL but you're looking for us to validate your process or talk you into something different. I will address one point: you repeatedly mention how you want a laid back, informal organization and if that's how you're looking at a SOF unit you are way, way out of your depth.

I'm not going to play Internet Tough Guy, but you aren't making any sense.

I'll address one part that pertains to me, and I'm doing so as a NON-SOF person. You stated that the SEALs really interest you, despite how flawed your reasoning for that might be. OK, got it, SEALs it is. Then you say you wouldn't want to be stuck on the water 24/7 so you're not interested in SWCC. OK, fair enough. I didn't make it through the pipeline, so I don't know how much time SWCC guys spend on the water Vs. on land. However, if you do choose to go the Navy route with aspirations of being a SEAL and you are not successful for whatever reason, guess where you will be spending your time. There's a 95% chance that it will be in a job that is "on the water". Just something to think about as you consider all this. I hope that helps.

Mod hat off, SF hat on:

@JohhnyCrash ...son, from reading this you are fucked up as a soup sandwich. Ther was a guy on my Team who had a Master's in Mechanical Engineering and was our Senior Engineer. He was the strac-est most squared away individual you could meet.

You need to rethink your approach to wanting to join the military. Nobody here is gong to do your research, compare units, and compare mission sets and training for you - one - you have be self reliant; two - there is a reason that those comparisons are left off of this board; and three - it shows a lack of motivation and basic intelligence that you want us to tell you what you want to do in the military.

As you can tell, I couldn't give a rat's ass if I damage your feelings. Grow a fucking pair and do something. recruiters don't car eif you know everything about a unit, and you get into this "paralysis by analysis" mode way too easily which is a character flaw and operational detriment. Think on your feet, or go join the government in a capacity more fitting your over-analytical thinking style.

Nobody will do your work or decision making for you in the military, anywhere, unless you are a really fucked up Private Soldier who is out after an initial enlistment.

All I saw in all of your posts, is I want SOF because it's cool... here read this: https://shadowspear.com/vb/threads/why-do-we-do-this-items-to-consider.22382/

And above all - quit fucking arguing like you know everything already... Who, in their right minds, asks a fucking question of people that have experience, and then argues with them like they're an expert? A fucking political science hack, that's who.

I think you're a troll, and not the good kind, the lowercase internet troll of the lowest caliber.

You clearly don't understand what you're talking about.

Look, I can pick at your post and shred at least 3 or 4 of your misconceptions. I don't know where you found your info or how you processed it, but you're wrong. Regardless, it sounds like you want to be a SEAL but you're looking for us to validate your process or talk you into something different. I will address one point: you repeatedly mention how you want a laid back, informal organization and if that's how you're looking at a SOF unit you are way, way out of your depth.

I'm not going to play Internet Tough Guy, but you aren't making any sense.

I understand what you are all saying and I now understand that my logic was flawed. I have no family or experience with the military so I am glad that I posted here. I was not thinking about this in the correct manner and I really appreciate the information you have all given me. I am still interested and I will talk to a Navy recruiter tomorrow morning to start the process. I will change the way I am thinking completely. I did not mean to argue and now understand that it was disrespectful. I am a patriot and I want to serve because I love this country. When I said 'laid back' I really meant I wanted a brotherhood. To be apart of something bigger than myself and belong. I really said the wrong things and misrepresented myself while sounding pompous and arrogant.

Thank you again for all of your time and information and thank you for your service.

I'll address one part that pertains to me, and I'm doing so as a NON-SOF person. You stated that the SEALs really interest you, despite how flawed your reasoning for that might be. OK, got it, SEALs it is. Then you say you wouldn't want to be stuck on the water 24/7 so you're not interested in SWCC. OK, fair enough. I didn't make it through the pipeline, so I don't know how much time SWCC guys spend on the water Vs. on land. However, if you do choose to go the Navy route with aspirations of being a SEAL and you are not successful for whatever reason, guess where you will be spending your time. There's a 95% chance that it will be in a job that is "on the water". Just something to think about as you consider all this. I hope that helps.
Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am leaning towards the SEALs because from what I have read I understand that once you are at the SEAL Team you are given quite a bit of leeway and responsibility on your own. I heard that uniform standards and military customs and courtesies are altered and relaxed. That fits my personality as I am really laid back until it is time to train or compete. I like that the SEALs operate all over the world (jungle, arctic, desert, maritime, forests, urban, etc) and are inserted via every possible insertion technique. I think that SEALs also have the benefit of being recruited by DEVGRU, CIA -SAD/SOG, and Navy Intel/Counter Intel. I just really wonder how much ground pounding the SEALs will be doing with the draw down of forces in Afghanistan. I love the water but I wouldn't want to be stuck there 24/7 (why I am not interested in SWCC).

Not because of the relaxed standard.. That sounds really bad. I'm just a very motivated individual and I enjoy being given tasks and completing them. I also heard that the relationships between enlisted and Officers in the SEALs is more relaxed. I actually read it in a SOFREP article. They say that there is more camaraderie in the SEAL teams between everybody where the officers in the 75th are worried about their careers. I was not talking about wearing clothes and stuff like that.. I was talking about more brotherhood and camaraderie between all levels of leadership and the fact that the SEALs are given autonomy as SME's.

I think you should be a SEAL. It sounds to me like you'd make a great one.

It was sarcasm.

You seem like a good dude, grossly uninformed, but a good dude. Do a metric shit ton of your own research (search function on this site is one of the best I've seen) - you'll be shocked at the positive responses you get once folks believe you are genuinely engaged in your own development.

It was sarcasm.

You seem like a good dude, grossly uninformed, but a good dude. Do a metric shit ton of your own research (search function on this site is one of the best I've seen) - you'll be shocked at the positive responses you get once folks believe you are genuinely engaged in your own development.
Thanks a lot. I really appreciate it.

Marine Recon vs Force Recon vs MARSOC? Is this a competition:wall:? And there's no Marine "Deep Recon"(unless its balls deep:ROFLMAO:) Force does "Deep Reconnaissance" if that makes any sense. Sorry had to clear something up that was making me cringe. Back to my Hide.

I know that I want to do combat arms so if I did fail out of SOF selection/training I feel like the USMC might be the best bet. If i signed up for 0311 and a slot for Recon... Even if I didn't get selected for Recon I could still be an Rifleman.

Also man, tread carefully with wording like this, I know you don't know any better, but I am pretty sure there are a few meat eating Marine Grunts on here that that line wouldn't sit well with. Some Situational Awareness for ya dude!

Last edited by a moderator:
Also man, tread carefully with wording like this, I know you don't know any better, but I am pretty sure there are a few meat eating Marine Grunts on here that that line wouldn't sit well with. Some Situational Awareness for ya dude!

Thank you for the information. I think keeping my mouth shut is my best bet haha! I just stumbled in here like a fool.

I just stumbled in here like a fool.

No, you are ignorant. A fool won't learn from his mistakes nor will he fill his "intellectual void" once the deficit is acknowledged. The ball's in your court: fill the void or be a fool.

Back