Retention and Recruitment Crisis

As a recipient of NJP, I certainly have my druthers. Confined me to barracks, give me extra duty, make me write "I won't be disrespectful or insubordinate to officers again" a thousand times on the blackboard. But please, please don't screw with my pay (which did happen, the first time).

Last edited:
As a recipient of NJP, I certainly have my druthers. Confined me to barracks, give me extra duty, make me write "I won't be disrespectful or insuborn it to officers again" A thousand times on the blackboard. But please, please don't screw with my pay (which did happen, the first time).
I got in trouble in Infantry OBC and had to do a five-page paper on... I don't remember. It was stupid. To make matters worse, my computer crapped out and I had to have it completed by Monday. Joke's on my instructor though... my computer didn't work but I knew someone who had one that did. And that's how I started dating my wife. ;)

I got in trouble in Infantry OBC and had to do a five-page paper on... I don't remember. It was stupid. To make matters worse, my computer crapped out and I had to have it completed by Monday. Joke's on my instructor though... my computer didn't work but I knew someone who had one that did. And that's how I started dating my wife. ;)

That's an awesome story!

Once upon a time I was ashamed of the debt I had to pay for my sins, but after a while I realized it really wasn't that big a deal. Plus, when I got my commission it made me very relatable with enlisted.

The thing was, I didn't even deserve it. My IOBC platoon was tight, I liked pretty much everyone in it. One day our platoon trainer, a captain, was yelling at us for something we legitimately dorked up. I said something along the lines of, "Yeah you dumbasses need to get your shit together" as a joke, probably because I was the dumbass responsible for what happened... I don't remember. At any rate, the captain thought I was mocking him (I wasn't) and blew up on me. Whatever. A five-page paper? LOL, I'll have it done during my lunchbreak. And I'm going to use a bunch of words I know you don't know and will have to ask me what they mean.

...if my computer works.

And I'm going to use a bunch of words I know you don't know and will have to ask me what they mean.
Back in the day, when I was an IOBC platoon trainer, I had a lieutenant who was going to pull that on me...after all, he was a graduate of a trade school on the Hudson River and I was an up from the ranks, no degree plebian...I graded his book report (The Defense of Duffer's Drift) with a red pen...bled all over the thing...misspellings, punctuation issues, subject-verb disagreement...he took offense, talked it over with a former upper classmen who was the aide de camp to the assistant commanding general of the Infantry School...talked to the general at Founder's Day or the Army-Navy game or some such event and the general wanted to take a look at how the shortage-produced, reserve commissioned, OCS scum had managed to defame our future CJCS...and when he was done, there were more red marks on his paper and he had to write a book report for the general after writing a general-approved apology to his platoon trainer, yours truly.

Back in the day, when I was an IOBC platoon trainer, I had a lieutenant who was going to pull that on me...after all, he was a graduate of a trade school on the Hudson River and I was an up from the ranks, no degree plebian...I graded his book report (The Defense of Duffer's Drift) with a red pen...bled all over the thing...misspellings, punctuation issues, subject-verb disagreement...he took offense, talked it over with a former upper classmen who was the aide de camp to the assistant commanding general of the Infantry School...talked to the general at Founder's Day or the Army-Navy game or some such event and the general wanted to take a look at how the shortage-produced, reserve commissioned, OCS scum had managed to defame our future CJCS...and when he was done, there were more red marks on his paper and he had to write a book report for the general after writing a general-approved apology to his platoon trainer, yours truly.
Many officers possess a shocking level of writing (in)ability.

Lost my Good Cookie for having beer in my room as an E3. Instead of taking the hit, punk ass bitch dimed the whole room out to Gunny when he got caught coming back from the liquor store.

Lost my Good Cookie for having beer in my room as an E3. Instead of taking the hit, punk ass bitch dimed the whole room out to Gunny when he got caught coming back from the liquor store.

That dude didn't fall down a flight of stairs shortly afterwards?

I had heard that they went from biannual (semi-annual? Twice a year), to once, then forgiving all prior failures.

I saw that too, but N1 dropped a memo on the 3rd taking it to a whole 'nother (lower) level. I'd presume some rates/ communities will still have height and weight standards (though I've seen some chunky aircrew), but Big Navy is essentially out of the PT business with that memo.

terminalcwo on Instagram has it up if anyone wants to link to that post.

I saw that too, but N1 dropped a memo on the 3rd taking it to a whole 'nother (lower) level. I'd presume some rates/ communities will still have height and weight standards (though I've seen some chunky aircrew), but Big Navy is essentially out of the PT business with that memo.

terminalcwo on Instagram has it up if anyone wants to link to that post.

To be honest, I am a big fan of the graduated PT test. You know, combat arms and those with a higher need a fitness have a harder test than someone who is in personnel. That sort of thing. But I am 100% opposed to getting rid of any PT test.

Likewise, we all know that the tape test sucks and there needs to be something better, but I don't think we should give up the idea of getting rid of obese sailors and soldiers.

To be honest, I am a big fan of the graduated PT test. You know, combat arms and those with a higher need a fitness have a harder test than someone who is in personnel. That sort of thing. But I am 100% opposed to getting rid of any PT test.

Likewise, we all know that the tape test sucks and there needs to be something better, but I don't think we should give up the idea of getting rid of obese sailors and soldiers.
Concur. Obese troops negatively impact readiness by being less able to do their jobs, have more sick days, etc. Moreover, a significant miliary-related expense is medical care, which tends to affect sick / weak / obese people more, both in-service and over a lifetime.

Back