Russia looking for a prisoner swap…

Wait, Paul Whelan wasn't part of the deal?? We let Viktor Bout go for... Brittney Griner? Jesus we suck as prisoner exchanges.

Well at least Whelan has his white privilege to keep him warm and fed in the gulag.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/12/08/politics/paul-whelan-cnn-interview-brittney-griner/index.html
When you responded earlier, I was pretty shocked that you didn't mention it- makes sense now.

For the record- Whelan's charges are completely made up (or at least appear to be). Griner's charges were 100% valid- she actually did what the Russian's accused her of doing.

And now, we have no leverage to get Whelan. Russia got what they wanted (aren't we at war with the evil Russians? Why are we negotiating with them now?) and we got absolutely nothing in return.

Disgusted isn't even the start to how I feel about this.

EDIT TO ADD- What the fuck is the difference between Mark Fogel and Brittney Griner, again?! Fogel had a small amount of prescribed medical marijuana and got 14 years- but Griner gets out? Wow, I wonder what the difference between Fogel's case and Griner's case are?!

Last edited:
When you responded earlier, I was pretty shocked that you didn't mention it- makes sense now.

For the record- Whelan's charges are completely made up (or at least appear to be). Griner's charges were 100% valid- she actually did what the Russian's accused her of doing.

And now, we have no leverage to get Whelan. Russia got what they wanted (aren't we at war with the evil Russians? Why are we negotiating with them now?) and we got absolutely nothing in return.

Disgusted isn't even the start to how I feel about this.
If Whelan didn’t do what the Russians said he did, I.e. espionage on the US’s behalf, we should get him back. False charges, national sovereignty, “don’t fuck with our citizens,” etc.

But check this out—if he **did** do what the Russians said he did, we should try even harder. “Go into this hostile country and commit acts that might get you killed. Don’t worry, we totally got your back… and less it’s more politically expedient for us to ignore you in favor of the demographic du jour.

Griner was in jail for something she **did** do. For herself. Her sentence was bullshit but she committed a criminal act in a country that DGAF about her excerpt for her utility as a political pawn. As I said earlier I’m glad she’s home. I’m deeply resentful that Whelan isn’t.

Last edited:
If Whelan didn’t do what the Russians said he did, I.e. espionage on the US’s behalf, we should get him back. False charges, national sovereignty, “don’t fuck with our citizens,” etc.

But check this out—if he **did** do what the Russians said he did, we should try even harder. “Go into this hostile country and commit acts that might get you killed. Don’t worry, we totally got your back… and less it’s more politically expedient for us to ignore you in favor of political expediency and the demographic du jour.

Griner was in jail for something she **did** do. For herself. Her sentence was bullshit but she committed a criminal act in a country that DGAF about her excerpt for her utility as a political pawn. As I said earlier I’m glad she’s home. I’m deeply resentful that Whelan isn’t.

Whelan definitely seems like a patsy as opposed to an actual spy.

Dude was longtime friends with a FSB agent. He liked mentioning it so much that his family was aware of the guy, and his parents may have even met him.

Pretty easy to plant a USB on him and claim he was "soliciting Intel sources" that way.

Paul Whelan: The strange case of the ex-marine jailed for spying in Russia

Whelan definitely seems like a patsy as opposed to an actual spy.

Dude was longtime friends with a FSB agent. He liked mentioning it so much that his family was aware of the guy, and his parents may have even met him.

Pretty easy to plant a USB on him and claim he was "soliciting Intel sources" that way.

Paul Whelan: The strange case of the ex-marine jailed for spying in Russia
This brings to mind a few parallels with former Marine Hekmati in Iran from a decade earlier.

Once tortured in Iranian jail, ex-Marine fights spy claims

This is the best thing to ever happen to Brittany Griner. In publicity alone it’s worth tens of millions. She’ll get endorsement contracts. She’s making a 100k before taxes playing women’s BB. Her male counterparts are making astronomical salaries in comparison.

Nobody knew her. Now everybody knows her. She doesn’t have baggage like Bergdahl, and her sexuality and race are custom made for today’s over-exaggerated woke-culture advertising trends.

The world is yours, chico, and everything in it, so say goodnight to the bad guy.

Last edited:
Did some more reading up on Whelan. He was a Marine, but apparently not a very good one. To say the least.
Gotta address this one sir. If ‘any American released is a good American’ and we can’t weigh the value of the black lesbian anti-American bball player, then we also get to completely ignore this guy’s service record.

Just wanna be consistent in our approach to this one. Berghdahl was also a historic piece of shit, but we figure that out from DC.

Gotta address this one sir. If ‘any American released is a good American’ and we can’t weigh the value of the black lesbian anti-American bball player, then we also get to completely ignore this guy’s service record.

Just wanna be consistent in our approach to this one. Berghdahl was also a historic piece of shit, but we figure that out from DC.

I'd have prioritized Whelan over Greiner not because he's a former Marine or anything, but because he's not a celebrity. His story doesn't have the social media reach of Greiner's. Her family and friends can keep her case (if not her) alive with a simple post seen by millions within days if not hours. Whelan's not so fortunate.

Every American is equal, but at some point you have to rack and stack, you know?

I'd have prioritized Whelan over Greiner not because he's a former Marine or anything, but because he's not a celebrity. His story doesn't have the social media reach of Greiner's. Her family and friends can keep her case (if not her) alive with a simple post seen by millions within days if not hours. Whelan's not so fortunate.

Every American is equal, but at some point you have to rack and stack, you know?
Oh I totally agree here. I am not NEARLY as good a human as people here on the board. The common counter narrative currently is, "Well, what? We shouldn't have gotten ONE American home then?" No. In that context- and considering we gave up a freaking arms dealer that planned to kill Americans- no, we should not have gotten Griner, exactly for the reason you mentioned re: visibility/zeitgeist presence.

We should have gotten Whalen and Fogel (in that order) and then Griner. Or no one and continued to negotiate. Now we have no leverage, and what's worse- we open up the possibility that the only thing you need to do is kidnap a prominent liberal American and you can get whoever you want in return.

This is the best thing to ever happen to Brittany Griner. In publicity alone it’s worth tens of millions. She’ll get endorsement contracts. She’s making a 100k before taxes playing women’s BB. Her male counterparts are making astronomical salaries in comparison.

Nobody knew her. Now everybody knows her. She doesn’t have baggage like Bergdahl, and her sexuality and race are custom made for today’s over-exaggerated woke-culture advertising trends.

The world is yours, chico, and everything in it, so say goodnight to the bad guy.
Eh, if you follow women's basketball she's been one of the highest profile players for awhile. For a variety of reasons.

First of all, apologies to @757 for me not noticing he beat me to this meme.

Second, I posted this meme to Havok Journal's FaceBook page this morning, and it got immediately taken down, and we got an infraction, for "violating community standards."

Our satire site, Article 107 News, got unpublished entirely a few weeks back for publishing other memes critical of Biden Administration policy.

I guess "community standards" on FaceBook means "anything the Left doesn't like.

But then again, we all already knew that.

In other news, Vice President Harris made a statement today: "No woman of color should ever go to jail for a minor drug possession charge. That's a black man's role in our society and I should know."
That’s not true.
First of all, apologies to @757 for me not noticing he beat me to this meme.

Second, I posted this meme to Havok Journal's FaceBook page this morning, and it got immediately taken down, and we got an infraction, for "violating community standards."

Our satire site, Article 107 News, got unpublished entirely a few weeks back for publishing other memes critical of Biden Administration policy.

I guess "community standards" on FaceBook means "anything the Left doesn't like.

But then again, we all already knew that.
No shit? The Chapo meme got taken down?

F-that. I’m going to post it right now.

According to Facebook, the above meme violates community standards on "dangerous individuals and organizations." What is that policy, you might ask?

1670617805485.png

"Symbols, praise, or support." Is there any of that in the above meme? No. No the fuck there isn't. It's suppression of political content that FaceBook doesn't like. Pure and simple.

What recourse do I have? None.

FaceBook has never cared when we satirize or criticize the political right, which we do in fact do. Only when we poke the left that shit like this happens.

Can't wait for someone to do to FaceBook what Musk is doing to Twitter.

Back