Senior Chief SWO Edward Byers

I'm looking forward to learning more about his actions when the citation comes out, right now the details are very bare bones from what I've seen.

My favorite part of this story so far, is that the award is not posthumous, and that the SEAL was not injured in a devastating way. (from what has been released so far anyway)

Someone here recently made the observation that it sometimes seems like Medal of Honor is more likely to be awarded to the most injured after their heroic event, vs. those who do something equally amazing but come thru it unscathed. (at least physically). I searched, but cannot find that thread to give the proper credit - it was a very solid observation.

ETA:

Observation was made by @Etype.

Thanks for the link @Freefalling , your Forum-Fu is stronger than mine. (as it should be!)

Last edited:
My favorite part of this story so far, is that the award is not posthumous, and that the SEAL was not injured in a devastating way. (from what I can read so far anyway)

Someone here recently made the observation that it sometimes seems like Medal of Honor is more likely to be awarded to the most injured after their heroic event, vs. those who do something equally amazing but come thru it unscathed. (at least physically). I searched, but cannot find that thread to give the proper credit - it was a very solid observation.

Soldier who fought in Afghanistan will receive Medal of Honor

My favorite part of this story so far, is that the award is not posthumous, and that the SEAL was not injured in a devastating way. (from what has been released so far anyway)

The VC is running just under 50/50 KIA/seriously injured v unscathed over the last decade, the Brits have given 2 posthumously and one to a severely injured trooper, another to a Para who was unharmed, we've awarded one posthumously, the other 3 have been unscathed and the Kiwis have awarded one unscathed. If the George Cross is added to the mix it starts leaning towards being killed or wounded.

Congratulations and Present Arms to Senior Chief Special Warfare Operator Edward Buyers, who was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor by the President at a White House Ceremony today, 29 February, 2016; for his actions during a hostage rescue mission in Afghanistan in December 2012.

ed%20buyers.png

Last edited:
Back