The Ultimate Interview Thread

• Thread starter Boondocksaint375
  • Start date
An interview question that caught me off guard was "What would your worst enemy say about you?" Fortunately, the chip governing impulse control was running on full power during the telephone conversation and the three answers that came to mind:uhh: went unsaid.

The chip had been working moments earlier when I was asked "What is your greatest weakness?" and I managed not to say "Kryptonite.":D

LOL

I got 6 questions in this interview, same as all the applicants were getting I guess.

Luckily 2 of the 6 were about books... :D :D :D

LL

LOL

I got 6 questions in this interview, same as all the applicants were getting I guess.

Luckily 2 of the 6 were about books... :D :D :D

LL

LL--

Hopefully, one of the two wasn't one you may have encountered. You know the one. Some walks up to you and says "I'm looking for a book...about spies...it may be a novel...it has a green cover" and then seems surprised when you can't name right off.

Well, I'm surprised that I don't get an instant response, at least.:p

LL--

Hopefully, one of the two wasn't one you may have encountered. You know the one. Some walks up to you and says "I'm looking for a book...about spies...it may be a novel...it has a green cover" and then seems surprised when you can't name right off.

Well, I'm surprised that I don't get an instant response, at least.:p

No worse. I couldn't remember the name of one of the books I was referring to... :doh: :rolleyes:

LL

No worse. I couldn't remember the name of one of the books I was referring to... :doh: :rolleyes:

LL

I had a moment like that during an oral exam. I followed a hunch and decided it was best not to describe the book by its location (at the bottom of a stack books beside my bed) and the book cover color.

I was interviewing a guy once for a front desk job at a hotel, and he decided calling me Dude through out the interview was the best way to get the job. I decided, that since I was wearing a jacket and tie and he couldn't respect me he probably wouldn't respect the guest. I have learned that respect for who ever is interviewing you is a big point, even if you do think he/she is a dumb ass...

Here's a good one I just came across: "Are there any jobs in the military that you would decline?"

Had an interview with Dell last week. I walked into the room and found 3 people sitting across the table who all took turns lobbing me questions.

No questions about my technical abilities, academic knowledge, etc.; just general softballs like, "Tell us about a time you had to do something you didn't want to do."

The twist was that I had to give a three part answer: describing the situation, the action I took, and what the result was.

I consider myself a pretty decent speaker but having to come up with an answer, responding in the format they wanted, and staying coherent in the process was brutal.

That is bs. What is funny is that many of the FLEO agencies ask those types of questions requiring the SAR response. You would think Dell would focus on technical ability.

What's harder than prepping for an interview? Writing a thank you note/letter. :doh: Actually writing 3 for the same interview, and making them all different, even though with the lousy reception from the phone, I couldn't tell the three voices apart. :doh:

According to what I'm reading online, only about 5% of applicants do it, but this common courtesy/follow through can be the deal maker in a close decision.

LL

I never thought about courtesy notes, great tip :)

For every interview I go into I always try and convey three things: 1) I work great in teams 2) I am aggressive in that.I only need to be told things once and can run with it, as well as am looking to get as far as possible and 3) maybe the most important thing is that I am the first one there and the last one to leave, every day. I may not be as smart as the genius in the room, but I will outwork that person and be better, nobody works harder than I do. Then after the interview I write a thank-you for your time note and mail it to the head interviewer and any senior company people who came in. That got me the job which I am at now, and a few offers, but mind you I am not happy with my job and only have 9 months left on my contract before I change professions.

X2 on the honesty. I'm in the finance industry and too many people try and flirt with the line between brilliance and bullshit, I see them all the time at lunch trying to wade in their own shit, reputation still means something, and you don't want to get pegged as a liar, at least I don't.

That is bs. What is funny is that many of the FLEO agencies ask those types of questions requiring the SAR response. You would think Dell would focus on technical ability.

Yup, I had a FLEO interview and I was sitting across from four interviewers and those were the ONLY questions they asked. Not one question about experience, how I shot on the rifle and pistol ranges, military schools attended, nothing.

Back