Two SEALs lost at sea

For those who have never done VBSS, it’s hard to comprehend just how dangerous the mission set is, even getting onto the vessel is extremely difficult.
Honestly i think sometimes we assume away some of the risk because our VBSS teams do the mission very well. It is as you say incredibly dangerous, especially in adverse weather and seas. RIP frogmen.

I always assumed the animosity for the SEALs was mostly out of jealousy.

Tough men doing tough things so we can be safer. My thoughts are for the families now, and their recovery.

I always assumed the animosity for the SEALs was mostly out of jealousy.

Tough men doing tough things so we can be safer. My thoughts are for the families now, and their recovery.

My animosity has nothing to do with jealousy.

But I don't want anything bad to happen to them. At the end of the day we're all sailors in the same Navy. As a spouse and as a parent I can't imagine the not knowing. At least give me a body.

For those who have never done VBSS, it’s hard to comprehend just how dangerous the mission set is, even getting onto the vessel is extremely difficult.

During a MCT training cycle, there was a "calm" sea day and we got to go for a joy ride and attempt the ladder. I think I made it up 4 steps and landed on my back. I was grateful I didn't have to climb or fast rope onto a moving ship. Rather hear everything over the radio.

I hope they are found for the families and team's.

During a MCT training cycle, there was a "calm" sea day and we got to go for a joy ride and attempt the ladder. I think I made it up 4 steps and landed on my back. I was grateful I didn't have to climb or fast rope onto a moving ship. Rather hear everything over the radio.

I hope they are found for the families and team's.

I never did apply for the SOF support tag, but I was (SOF support), I was assigned to NSWG 4. I did it in the Caribbean, under "meh" weather and seas, and it was absolutely challenging.

It was inevitable I guess, Fair winds gentleman…

Military ends rescue search for Navy SEALs lost in maritime raid on ship with Iranian weapons

WASHINGTON (AP) — The 10-day search to rescue two Navy SEALs lost in the Arabian Sea during a mission to board a ship and confiscate Iranian-made weapons has been ended and the sailors are now considered deceased, the U.S. military said Sunday.

In a statement, U.S. Central Command said the search has now been changed to a recovery effort. The names of the SEALs have not been released as family notifications continue.

The more I read about this, the more I cannot shake the possibility that these men were loaded with gear to the point of having no buoyancy were they to hit the water; a terrible visual to imagine for both Sailors.

I won’t even pretend to understand how a mission like this is supposed to work, but I will be interested to read whatever reports are released after the investigation.

The more I read about this, the more I cannot shake the possibility that these men were loaded with gear to the point of having no buoyancy were they to hit the water; a terrible visual to imagine for both Sailors.

I won’t even pretend to understand how a mission like this is supposed to work, but I will be interested to read whatever reports are released after the investigation.

Not to mention the sea state, height of the fall, any impacts that occurred along the way, and a whole bunch of other stuff I don't know.

A little more to the story. That was primarily a USCG mission. The SEALs were in theater and shopping for something to do, asked to do it. The coasties told one of the SEALs 'hey, you are wearing too much gear.' SEAL told him to piss off, he knows what he is doing. SEAL was being butt-pushed up the ladder, which was about 4' or so above the side of the boat, hand slipped off the rung. Fell between the big boat and the smaller VBSS craft. Buddy went in right after him.

Guy who told me is not one for RUMINT or tall takes, so I believe him until something says not to.

Back