USNA questions

Gunz

Combined Action
Verified Military
My youngest son is an "official" candidate to the Naval Academy. I have no illusions, neither does he. His goal is to become a Marine officer. He had some trouble with AP calculus in 11th grade (got a D!) but he can take it again online and expunge the original grade.

I've heard that a congressional nomination is more important than the senatorial one. Is that true?

Is there any significant difference in the training pipeline to 2nd Lt between USNA graduates and civilian college grads?

What is an officer's advantage (aside from the prestige) in the Marine Corps or Navy of having graduated from USNA as opposed to a good civilian university?

Last edited:
I can only speak on the first point: apply for all nominations for which he is eligible. I got a Congressman's primary nom, and my bro got a senatorial nomination a year later. Apply for both, the only thing that matters is that he gets a primary nom from one of them. The legislators offices crosstalk so the same guy doesn't get a primary from one and an alternate from another.

Good luck!

I credit the Naval Academy with forming me into the officer that I am today. That can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on how you view me. I struggled throughout the Naval Academy (and the prep school) and came out far better for it. I recommend the program and believe in it's system. That being said, alot of guys at the top of that pyramid think themselves far better then they are and I always felt that some of the best leaders came from the bottom third who had to push themselves past their perceived limits to survive.

You don't receive any preferential treatment in the Marine Corps when you graduate. Hell most people don't even know I'm an alumni. The only real difference is that you don't have to go to OCS if you are a Naval Academy graduate.

I know I truly regret two things in life; one of which was not accepting my acceptance letter to the USNA back in 04.

Best of luck to your son. As has already been said, apply for both. I was already an enlisted Marine when I applied so my application route was a little different. I first applied on a dial up connection in Monrovia, Liberia and saw the opportunity to go as an opportunity to never stand post again. I had a happenstance flight one day from Chicago to Norfolk where I sat beteeen not one, but two Navy Captains. I believe because of their guidance and stewardship that I was accepted. I am still an email correspondent with one of them who is now a full Rear Admiral (Ret).

I've heard Army side gives preferential treatment to West Pointers but that was for Blackhawk training spots. Could be different elsewhere.

Ocoka One, two things to keep in mind that are beneficial if your son is particularly interested in making a career of the Marine Corps coming out of USNA: the first is the “guaranteed” quick report date to TBS upon graduation, and the second is the 5 year service obligation at commissioning. USNA grads report to TBS usually no more than 40 days after graduation (sometimes as little as 10 days). Unless you get hurt and can't finish the POI, and depending on the length of your MOS school, you could be in the FMF in as few as 7-9 months after starting TBS. 2ndLts from other commissioning sources must spend upwards of a year in limbo in the civilian world waiting for their TBS spot. The 5 year obligation (I'm speaking specifically in terms of Ground designated USNA 2ndLts) allows for multiple (2-4) opportunities for looks at career designation. It often happens that many 1stLts not commissioned through USNA must request to extend their EAS just to get 1 look. If they are passed over after that 1 look...that's it, they have to execute their EAS.

Just a couple of items to consider, although they are certainly not important enough to be considered deal breakers for refusing an opportunity to commission from another source. Good luck to your son.

I appreciate the input, sir, thanks. Many, many bridges to cross for him.

Last edited:
Encourage him to join here also. Advantage of joining as opposed to just reading is the ability to use the Search Function.

LL

There is/was a youngster with great potential who wanted USNA, and would have done well there. He was a fail with the eye guys everytime I ran him there, red and green looked the same to him. Turned him into a USMA '92. There are always options.

Chris attended the USNA alumni association dinner in Clearwater on Oct 8th. He'll interview with Sen Rubio's nomination board on the 25th. He's re-taking calculus and acing it thus far. And he's applied to USMA and the Coast Guard Academy as well. Thank you all for your input.

Last edited:
In the Marine Corps infantry, nobody gives a shit if you went to an Ivy League or other prestigious school. They care about dedication, competence, and ability.

In my battalion I personally know officers who hold degrees (some multiple) from Harvard, Princeton, Colombia, Yale and the USNA. They are respected and admired for their ability to lead Marines, and you would never know they went to such institutions unless you pried it out of them. My current platoon commander had an appointment to the USNA and studied there for two years but left for Arizona State University. It is a very rigid culture at the Academy, and not everyone wants to spend their college years that way. While it is an honor to be accepted, I would advise your son to really do his research before committing.

In the Marine Corps infantry, nobody gives a shit if you went to an Ivy League or other prestigious school. They care about dedication, competence, and ability.

In my battalion I personally know officers who hold degrees (some multiple) from Harvard, Princeton, Colombia, Yale and the USNA. They are respected and admired for their ability to lead Marines, and you would never know they went to such institutions unless you pried it out of them. My current platoon commander had an appointment to the USNA and studied there for two years but left for Arizona State University. It is a very rigid culture at the Academy, and not everyone wants to spend their college years that way. While it is an honor to be accepted, I would advise your son to really do his research before committing.

Rog your last and I couldn't agree more. He's under no pressure to go the service academy route and he's free to leave the path at any time. But he's extremely competitive.

It's not easy to gauge an 18-year old's perception about his future. Sometimes I think you can't know how you will do at something until you're actually doing it.

Thanks much for your comments.

Last edited:
My son goes before Senator Rubio's committee on the 25th, and Senator Nelson's committee on the 29th.

Anything I should tell him to be prepared for?

Last edited:
Chris goes before Senator Rubio's committee on the 25th, and Senator Nelson's committee on the 29th.

I've advised him the following:

Speak up.
Stand straight.
Yes, sir; Yes, Ma'am etc (Obviously)
Don't sit until you're asked to sit.

And other than that, I'm not sure what to tell him. I've noticed that many of the application questions have to do with diversity. He shouldn't have a problem there, his best buddy is from Sri Lanka. But I suspect diversity may come up.

Is there anything else I should tell him to be prepared for?

Questions with no real right or wrong answer.

Back