USNA questions

It may not mean much to him now, but there's a quote from Douglas Adams I've thought of when things happened that changed the course of where I thought my life would go.

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be."-Douglas Adams

that quote is tres apropos for my life.... Missed USMA by one person (first alternate, nobody dropped from Beast early enough that year), which eventually led me to SF NCO.... more happier for me... I'm not sure I would have made a good officer.

Plus why do I care about how the cow happens to be? I really don't care that she walks, she talks and she's full of chalk. What's that all about?

As mentioned above, my son had a congressional nomination to the US Merchant Marine Academy. But his application was denied for the sole reason that his high school failed to submit the required documentation prior to the USMMA deadline; even though we gave school administrators had all the necessary forms and information almost 6 weeks prior to the deadline. And despite all our efforts to facilitate the process by offering assistance. My wife sent e-mails, made phone calls reminding school officials of the importance of the deadline; most of those were unanswered or unreturned. My son made repeated trips to the high school office. We ended up pleading that these forms be sent in time. They were sent...and arrived 3 days late. This great honor, this potentially wonderful opportunity was squandered because these fucking lame-ass school bureaucrats prevaricated, delayed, ignored and obstructed.

I've written the superintendent of schools and copied our congressman, but what's done is done.

I'm posting this in the hope it may help some future academy applicant. One screw-up by your high school can cost you an appointment.
I'd send a letter to one of my local TV Stations letting them know what happened, the superintendent might be a little more responsive.

I'd send a letter to one of my local TV Stations letting them know what happened, the superintendent might be a little more responsive.

I copied the letter I sent the superintendent to the US Rep who gave Chris the nomination. I think that's as far as I'll go. He won't be happy to learn one of his few nominations got wasted by school system SNAFUs. Some others have suggested the TV angle which sounds like a good way to rock some boats. I decided against it because I don't want my son's name in the news. He'll have setbacks in his life that he'll have to deal with.

Some others have suggested the TV angle which sounds like a good way to rock some boats. I decided against it because I don't want my son's name in the news. <snip>

I completely agree...the situation sucks, a lot. But this would not go well towards the the initial anonymous status one would want when going to a military academy.

I wanted to update this thread and thank everybody who responded to it. As it turns out Chris will be going to FSU in the fall working toward a degree in engineering. He's very happy, it's a good school...and his mom and I am happy he'll be only 3 hours away.

I'm proud of him for getting as far as he did in this process. And my faith in the military academies is confirmed by the fact that they turned down such a good student and good kid. To me it means you really have to be something quite special to get an acceptance.

The only regret I have is that we will never know if he would've made it into the USMMA. But sometimes things happen for a reason. ;-) Onward and upward...

Congrats to your son. I imagine that whole ordeal is frustrating, but things have a funny way of working out. When I was in your sons position, I never imagined I would be doing what I am now. Had plenty of highs and lows, but I wouldn't change a bit of it.

Sounds like your sons got a pretty good head on his shoulders though. From a current college student, one little tip for him is just to talk to his teachers. Occasionally going to them for even little issues shows he actually is paying attention to them. Doing so has paid off big at times when I really needed their help, even to the point of changing my overall grade. They will go the extra mile for the students they know are putting in the effort. He is going to have a great time, it just flies by too fast.

Congratulations, Ocaka! He is off to a good school, and being closer to home has it's advantages.

I wanted to update this thread and thank everybody who responded to it. As it turns out Chris will be going to FSU in the fall working toward a degree in engineering. He's very happy, it's a good school...and his mom and I am happy he'll be only 3 hours away.

I'm proud of him for getting as far as he did in this process. And my faith in the military academies is confirmed by the fact that they turned down such a good student and good kid. To me it means you really have to be something quite special to get an acceptance.

The only regret I have is that we will never know if he would've made it into the USMMA. But sometimes things happen for a reason. ;-) Onward and upward...

I'm glad to hear he found a good fit, and it sounds like a good plan.

And 2-3 hours is a good distance. Far enough that you're not "at home", but close enough to be there when you want to be.

I know a lot of kids from high school who went to FSU and really enjoyed it. As a 18-20 something dude he'll be in heaven with the girls up there. They've been ranked the best looking student "body" several years now. Again good luck to him- and I say all this as a Gator too

Just make sure he doesn't get caught shoplifting crab legs out of the Publix. If you think he is getting distracted by all the beautiful ladies at FSU go ahead and post that youtube video on his facebook page and that should free up some of his time on the weekends for studying.

The Academies can't be that selective....they took me after all. Is your son on an NROTC program?

Just make sure he doesn't get caught shoplifting crab legs out of the Publix. If you think he is getting distracted by all the beautiful ladies at FSU go ahead and post that youtube video on his facebook page and that should free up some of his time on the weekends for studying.

The Academies can't be that selective....they took me after all. Is your son on an NROTC program?

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: My oldest went to FSU and you're right about the ladies. D-d-damn. :-)

He is not in NROTC. I don't know if it's too late for him to get into it...I will investigate, but Dad is in backing-off mode at this time. Right now I'm just happy he got into college. I kind of hope at some point during his four years he may consider the military. My other boys are on sports-related paths so he is my last hope at my producing a future Commandant.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: My oldest went to FSU and you're right about the ladies. D-d-damn. :-)

He is not in NROTC. I don't know if it's too late for him to get into it...I will investigate, but Dad is in backing-off mode at this time. Right now I'm just happy he got into college. I kind of hope at some point during his four years he may consider the military. My other boys are on sports-related paths so he is my last hope at my producing a future Commandant.
He can sign up for ROTC when he schedules his courses.
Not restricted to NROTC either ;)

Back