What Are You Currently Reading?

While I was gone I read two books.

The first was Writer, Sailor, Soldier, Spy: Ernest Hemingway’s Secret Adventures. I thought this was an interesting look into everything he did, and all of his war journalism (and actual involvement), leading up to his investigation by the FBI. A little slow at times, but well worth the read.

The second books was Chasing the Demon, which is a history of the goal of supersonic flight. The history and development of the major players during WW2 was good, but I expected a little bit more on the actual flights. The book is roughly 260 pages, and I don’t think they even mentioned the Bell X-1 until about page 220. I would still recommend the book, just don’t expect something like The Right Stuff.

Just finished the 60+ hour audiobook version of Shogun brilliantly voice-acted by Ralph Lister. I think it's the greatest novel I've ever read (at least 3 times) and Lister brings the audio version to life. A monumental, incredibly unique and exciting work, both the book and Lister's inspired performance.

Just finished the 60+ hour audiobook version of Shogun brilliantly voice-acted by Ralph Lister. I think it's the greatest novel I've ever read (at least 3 times) and Lister brings the audio version to life. A monumental, incredibly unique and exciting work, both the book and Lister's inspired performance.

“Christ Jesus”….

Such a great book and so well voiced.

My wife and I still say that to each other in his voice when we are surprised…

“Christ Jesus”….

Such a great book and so well voiced.

My wife and I still say that to each other in his voice when we are surprised…

I found Lister's website and emailed him to tell him how impressed I was and he was kind enough to reply. He said he very rarely heard from listeners.

James Clavell's Tai Pan and King Rat were also good.

I think after the success of Shogun he was under pressure to write more novels and the quality of his work suffered. But nothing can equal that epic. And yeah, great cursing throughout, lol.

found Lister's website and emailed him to tell him how impressed I was
Cool that he responded back to you.

I emailed Noam Chomski once to kindly tell him how I felt about his, IMO, anti -American rhetoric. He responded back and we actually had a short but decent discussion via email. I didn't expect to hear back because he's famous and we don't agree on much, but he was cordial and took the time to expound and also point out some of his pro- American views.

I emailed Noam Chomski once to kindly tell him how I felt about his, IMO, anti -American rhetoric. He responded back and we actually had a short but decent discussion via email. I didn't expect to hear back because he's famous and we don't agree on much, but he was cordial and took the time to expound and also point out some of his pro- American views.

Christ Jesus, don’t get me started on Chomski.

I am currently reading page 74 of the "What Are You Currently Reading?" thread and I have to say - it is quite captivating...
...but books?
No thanks!

Ah, you're at the Noam Chomsky part. Great thread, but can't give a full review while it's still a work in progress.

It doesn’t surprise me he did so. He is a true believer.

The Two-Parent Privilege: How Americans Stopped Marrying and Started Falling Behind.

The Two-Parent Privilege

A data-driven look at the benefits of children raised by two parents.

My wife and I were talking about this the other day. Some of our kids friends have difficult lives and surprisingly it's not dependent on having both parents in their lives. Together or divorced. Some of the most worrisome friends have both parents in the same house but they have 8 siblings. So there's no time for her. Others with single parents or divorced parents are amazing little humans.

I think this is a symptom of the huge problem of laziness, in every aspect of life. Marriage is hard, parenting is hard and together it can be even harder. But I think it's because they aren't willing to do the work. I'm not saying it all gets easier but when you actually communicate with your partner and work as a team, it is easier.

My wife and I were talking about this the other day. Some of our kids friends have difficult lives and surprisingly it's not dependent on having both parents in their lives. Together or divorced. Some of the most worrisome friends have both parents in the same house but they have 8 siblings. So there's no time for her. Others with single parents or divorced parents are amazing little humans.

I think this is a symptom of the huge problem of laziness, in every aspect of life. Marriage is hard, parenting is hard and together it can be even harder. But I think it's because they aren't willing to do the work. I'm not saying it all gets easier but when you actually communicate with your partner and work as a team, it is easier.

There are single parents (by choice or default through death or divorce), and we all know kids who ended up thriving. Inversely, there are kids raised in a 2-parent home that ended up doing quite poor.

What is interesting is that most tomes like this approach it from a political/cultural perspective but in this case it's an economic perspective, and apolitical. Even people on the left have read this book and come away saying, "well she's right. you know..."

I think it's pretty evident that the kids who end up being the most productive are kids from a 2-parent family, but I have not measured this so my opinion is just that, an opinion.

You are right, marriage is hard and you have to communicate and work as a team. None of it is easy.

Back