Not Work Safe Confucius say...Hum-V falling from airplane...

...goes boom if it does not open chute.

NSFW due to language - I get the humor of things that can go wrong, but it was somewhat odd at the absolute glee the soldier filming the event had over the spectacle.

Does this happen often, or is someone in BIG trouble for the death of 3 Hummers?

I would guess a couple of riggers are fucked big time.
Wonder if they had someone ETS'ing and that rigger purposely jacked up the pallets.

I understand, and it's been a while since I heard this so I could be wrong, this is why our Limey colleagues across the pond jump equipment first, then men. Past experiences, messes, and all.

I liked the "should I call it in" comment. I hope that wasn't the DZSO. I did find it interesting that two of the failures were identical (at least from that perspective).

Our riggers would purposely rig door bundles to fail, but those were jerry cans of water or ammo crates with sand. A vehicle...yikes. That was entertaining though.

A++, would jump again.

I liked the "should I call it in" comment. I hope that wasn't the DZSO. I did find it interesting that two of the failures were identical (at least from that perspective).

Our riggers would purposely rig door bundles to fail, but those were jerry cans of water or ammo crates with sand. A vehicle...yikes. That was entertaining though.

A++, would jump again.
I am surprised they didn't stop the drop after the second failure.

After playing DZSO for who knows how many Heavy Drops, 1 isn't all that unusual. However, after the second burn in, the rest should have been a wave off. Unless, 3 separate Loadmasters, in 3 separate planes, all conspired together, to sabotage the loads, this was a Rigger issue. Plain and simple.

After playing DZSO for who knows how many Heavy Drops, 1 isn't all that unusual. However, after the second burn in, the rest should have been a wave off. Unless, 3 separate Loadmasters, in 3 separate planes, all conspired together, to sabotage the loads, this was a Rigger issue. Plain and simple.
Man, it appears that I am behind on my heavy drop knowledge. If I was DZCO (and I am qualified), I would call it after the first one. Apparently I am too risk averse!

Man, it appears that I am behind on my heavy drop knowledge. If I was DZCO (and I am qualified), I would call it after the first one. Apparently I am too risk averse!
But you are controlling smaller formations, correct?

We always assumed one pallet would burn in during big formation drops.

Rarely disappointed.

Oh oh! :-o

Big Army has a Facebook account and, "They. Are. Pithed "

Army launches investigation into airborne Humvee mishap: Video

The 173rd Airborne Brigade is investigating what went wrong during an airborne drop that resulted in three Humvees free-falling to their destruction, as depicted in a widely-shared online video.

The specific malfunctions that occurred on this day are under investigation," Martinez said in an email to Army Times. "There were multiple rehearsals and inspections of the equipment prior to mission execution. We cannot speculate on what went wrong until the investigation is complete."

Martinez also hinted at the severity of the issue, writing in a subsequent email that "this investigation will receive the highest priority."

Last edited:
Oh oh! :-o

Big Army has a Facebook account and, "They. Are. Pithed "

Army launches investigation into airborne Humvee mishap: Video

The 173rd Airborne Brigade is investigating what went wrong during an airborne drop that resulted in three Humvees free-falling to their destruction, as depicted in a widely-shared online video.

The specific malfunctions that occurred on this day are under investigation," Martinez said in an email to Army Times. "There were multiple rehearsals and inspections of the equipment prior to mission execution. We cannot speculate on what went wrong until the investigation is complete."

Martinez also hinted at the severity of the issue, writing in a subsequent email that "this investigation will receive the highest priority."
That disgruntled/ETSing Rigger just got extended.
Hate to be that Company Commander, he/she will probably get screwed one way or another.

You have to wonder what response this would generate if the video wasn't online.

"Three burned in?"
(Looks the other way. PBO does extra paperwork)

"The video has a billion hits on Facebook?"
(Initiates investigation, looks for heads and careers)

You have to wonder what response this would generate if the video wasn't online.

"Three burned in?"
(Looks the other way. PBO does extra paperwork)

"The video has a billion hits on Facebook?"
(Initiates investigation, looks for heads and careers)
Three burned in could have been explained if the failures didn't appear to be identical.
Identical failures is a Rigger or material issue, experience tells us the former is probably the cause.
$100K plus worth of losses.

Three burned in could have been explained if the failures didn't appear to be identical.
Identical failures is a Rigger or material issue, experience tells us the former is probably the cause.
$100K plus worth of losses.

The first two were carbon copies. IF someone was deliberate they could have put more thought into it, otherwise there's some Warrant and Company Commander about to burn. That was funny until I remembered we're paying for that "show."

If anyone wants to enlist as a Rigger, there's some slots opening soon...

Back