Not Work Safe Confucius say...Hum-V falling from airplane...

My Spidey Senses tell me the dude laughing and mocking the failure will get burned too...just for general purpose.

That guy is a fucking idiot, IMO. Nothing funny about what happened in that video. #Clownshoes.

ScreenHunter_550%20Apr.%2024%2001.10_zpsrici9gxs.jpg

That guy is a fucking idiot, IMO. Nothing funny about what happened in that video. #Clownshoes.
Makes me wonder if the same guy was the one who posted it. @Freefalling also hit the nail on the head. No viral video, no mandatory head-rolling.

No viral video, no mandatory head-rolling.

Hell, we could do a multi-page thread on that topic alone. Off the top of my head -
- Puppy thrown off cliff
- Snipers pee on dead bad guy
- West Point Pillow Fight
- Marines rap-dancing on Iwo

Hey now.. As a former 173rd and 82nd guy.. Equipment burn-ins are a lot better than the other option..

And stole the picture.

Last edited:
I understand, and it's been a while since I heard this so I could be wrong, this is why our Limey colleagues across the pond jump equipment first, then men. Past experiences, messes, and all.
That's the same way we do it, equipment then personnel. Heavies are on stand alone passes, door bundles and personnel on same pass with bundles going first.

DZSO failed to run a safe operation, needs to burn.
As long as the winds were within tolerances and there were no personnel or vehicles on the DZ, the DZSO is fine.
ETA-
Does this happen often, or is someone in BIG trouble for the death of 3 Hummers?
Rarely. Units rig their own equipment with the help and supervision of enlisted riggers at the heavy drop facility. Then some assortment of rigger NCOs, WOs, and/or Os inspect the work.

The investigation is the standard military type. They collect evidence from the scene and inspect the records at the rigger shed to make sure everyone was current/qualified.

Last edited:
While I was there, we had lots of rucks burning in. Ended up being a training issue. After the 4th or 5th extra barrel was dead lined.. They started taping up the quick release

That's the same way we do it, equipment then personnel. Heavies are on stand alone passes, door bundles and personnel on same pass with bundles going first.

As long as the winds were within tolerances and there were no personnel or vehicles on the DZ, the DZSO is fine.
ETA-

Rarely. Units rig their own equipment with the help and supervision of enlisted riggers at the heavy drop facility. Then some assortment of rigger NCOs, WOs, and/or Os inspect the work.

The investigation is the standard military type. They collect evidence from the scene and inspect the records at the rigger shed to make sure everyone was current/qualified.
Then who should have called a no-drop for safety?

Then who should have called a no-drop for safety?
Heavies burning in isn't a safety hazard. They are already on the ground by the time the personnel start jumping.

ETA- In regards to one of them being on fire, that would be a judgment call (never seen it in the regs, but probably a good idea).

No drop for personnel is vehicles moving on the DZ, high winds, or low flying aircraft.

ETA-
While I was there, we had lots of rucks burning in. Ended up being a training issue. After the 4th or 5th extra barrel was dead lined.. They started taping up the quick release
Which quick release were they taping??? That is DEFINITELY not an approved technique from the Advanced Airborne Course.

Last edited:
The DZSO has the worse job for the OP, he doesn't get paid, but everything falls on his shoulders...:wall:

We'll see how this investigation plays out.....gonna be messy!!!!!:-"

Heavies burning in isn't a safety hazard. They are already on the ground by the time the personnel start jumping.

ETA- In regards to one of them being on fire, that would be a judgment call (never seen it in the regs, but probably a good idea).

No drop for personnel is vehicles moving on the DZ, high winds, or low flying aircraft.

ETA-

Which quick release were they taping??? That is DEFINITELY not an approved technique from the Advanced Airborne Course.
I still think I would have stopped the heavy drop after #2 burned in, looking identical to #1 burning in would be suspicious (to me anyway).

The most I personally witness/had was two malfunctions. A Gamma Goat doing the Wile E. Coyote thing (chute opened about 100' off the ground doing little to stop the Goat) and a 141 with a hung load (and no, I am not talking about a crew member).

Maybe shit has changed and you are getting more malfunctions, which would be understandable, all things considered.

Just commenting based on my experience.

Right?! That was always my point.

It was just a single thing of masking tape over the equipment release. Sorry. My airborne verbiage is weak now that I don't jump equipment anymore.

I still think I would have stopped the heavy drop after #2 burned in, looking identical to #1 burning in would be suspicious (to me anyway).
It looks like a Bn or BDE task force, and that are jumping at Graf. That's a huge expenditure of man-hours and unit money to make that all come together. You have a limited number of passes due to fuel and airspace reconciliation (especially in Germany).

The DZSO is completely in the clear when it comes to rigging deficiencies, however, he's going to have to answer to the man if he calls a no drop for something outside of his scope of duties.
The DZSO has the worse job for the OP, he doesn't get paid, but everything falls on his shoulders...:wall:

We'll see how this investigation plays out.....gonna be messy!!!!!:-"
It's the same for a JM. If you inspect a dude, then he does something stupid or otherwise messes up his equipment, it could be your ass.

Last edited:
It looks like the rigger responsible for that amazing video will be charged.

Army soldier charged after Humvees destroyed

A U.S. Army soldier has been charged after three Humvees were destroyed during a parachute drop last year.

Sgt. John Skipper, with the 173rd Airborne Brigade, was charged in May with destruction of government property and making a false official statement, a brigade spokesman said Tuesday, according to Military.com.

We taped the QR strap to the lowering line with..... double layer masking tape, leaving either half or a third exposed. Enough to grab onto and release on purpose, but enough resistance to inadvertent release due to movement. lowering line was checked again for secure attachment by the safety on movement up from the rear to the door when we hooked up.

That soon to be private dun fucked up....and tried to lie about it as well.

Yeah, driving the equipment off the DZ is garbage.

Given the choice of a good troop or good piece of equipment, which would you prefer burn in? I think that was the differentiation being made.

This is why we never dropped anything but beat up pieces of shit on practice or demo LAPES drops. In fact, we dropped the same palleted jeep so many times it was only about a foot tall.

Back