First Post

I know it's been over a year since somebody posted in this forum, but this is newest one I could find that seems to pertain to the posted instructions of one intro post and one "First Post" before requesting to join an mentorship group. If I am missing something let me know and I will correct it.

I am 26 years old and am currently serving in the WA ARNG as a 35M HUMINTer and Russian Linguist. I started my military career in 2013 in the Coast Guard Reserves as an ME assigned to a Port Security Unit (a part of the former Coast Guard Deployable Operations Group). During my 3.5 years there I was a Tactical Crewman and Engineer on a 32' TPSB and acted as a unit instructor in everything from weapons and tactics to TCCC and boat crewman skills. After a nine month stint in Cuba I transferred over to the WA ARNG with the intention of trying out for 19th group. My recruiter was a long tabber and convinced me to go 35M with Russian in order to gain other skills rather then just how to run a gun that would hopefully make myself more valuable on an ODA later. I am now looking to either go through 19th group's selection program or try and transfer to active duty on an 18x contract, but my ultimate goal is to be AD SF hopefully sooner rather than later. While I try and research and weigh the options as well as work through the paperwork, I am also working towards my BA in Intelligence Studies and prepping physically for SFAS.

I currently hold a 2/2+/2 DLPT score in Russian and my rough scores from my last APFT that I can recall off the top of my head were:
60 pushups
90 situps
15:00 2 mile

I am currently doing calisthenics five days a week, lifting 4 times a week focusing on total body movements and lifts that help with rucking, running 2-3 days a week depending on my schedule and rucking 2 times a week with a 55lbs ruck.

I am focusing on getting my pushups and run back up to pre language school scores and lowering my ruck time of 15min miles as much as I can without running under weight.

I want to join SF because of the mission set and the opportunity to work with people who are squared away, motivated, and love what they do. I love teaching and interacting with people of other cultures and I want to be in a unit where I can do that and always be pushed to be better than I am now. In over ten years of being an instructor, the one thing I've learned is that no matter how much you know or how good you are there is always a way to be better and always something new you can learn and I hope to bring that mindset to SFAS, SFQC, and later an operation ODA.

Not sure if this is the correct sub-forum or need to repost this to "SITREP", @Ooh-Rah ?

I reached out to Co A 5/19th SFG (A) Recruiter a week ago, and also filled out the NationalGuardSF.com form(no reply yet). I'm trying to establish the first steps of seeing if I can join as prior-service, and hopefully attend the next SFRE out here in California(September17-20). One step at a time, let's see if I even qualify to get back in. As of right now, after reading the qualifications and my research I don't see anything that would prevent me from re-instating my Secret clearance and no medical or legal issues. Physically, my endurance should be good to go as I prepare for another 4 day backpacking trip to the Eastern Sierras in a couple weeks, and lifting/working out in the garage pain cave.

Respected members,

I am approaching my 30s and I currently live in Southern California, near the beaches.

Special Forces is my calling. It was during my time serving in the Army National Guard that I have discovered that voice. I owed it to my unit and my own intuition which helped nurture that desire. During my service, I pushed my own capacity as a soldier, to which I have the grittiness of the leaders in my unit to be thankful for. They helped drove me forward. I also began then to read about the SOF, which did to me two things. First, the readings educated and steer me toward an interest in Army SF. Second, the accounts in books, reports, and citations, ground my perceived reality of what it may be like to be a Special Forces soldier. It has been a while since I left the Guard, nonetheless, the call for me to earn my place in the Special Forces still remains.

Please consider letting me join the mentor group.

I will be reaching out to a recruiter soon. Meanwhile, I am preparing for the SFAS by staying engaged with the relevant literature and media, making opportunities to practice field skills, and improving the ways I recondition physically. Here is my current PT performance of the past few months: pushup 86, situp 86, pullup 18, 2-mile 13m24s, 6-mile 44m43s.

Back