First Post

Good afternoon,

My goal is to earn the 0321 MOS and serve in a Recon Battalion. Right now I am currently 22 years old and waiting in the DEP to go to a MCRD with an infantry contract. Since graduating college I have devoted my time to working, working out, and trying to gain knowledge that will help me to prepare for boot camp, SOI, and the Recon pipeline.

I started working out two years ago mainly weight lifting and running. This past summer I started running more, going on ruck marches, and swimming. My PR on the three mile is 20 minutes but right now have been running a consistent 21 minute three mile. I generally run 2-3 times per week. My goal is to run at least a 19:30 by the Recon indoc at SOI. I can walk 4-5 miles with a 45 lb pack at 15 min per mile. I will be completing 10 and 12 mile rucks before leaving for boot camp. I can currently swim a 10 minute 500 meter side stroke slick (I prefer it over the breast stroke but can still swim breast). Unfortunately the pool I swim at requires a bathing suit so I cannot swim in cammies. I have no issues with crossovers, and the deepest depth is 12 feet so bottom samples are not an issue, I just stay at the bottom longer as the depth at BRPC I heard has been increased to 16.5 feet. I can do 2k fins in the pool in 36 min but will be increasing to 2500-3000 as I am in a land locked state and cannot swim in surf. In addition to still lifting (focus is on strength) I do calisthenics and the Recon short card. I will also be attempting the long card. I love doing pull-ups and always do 23 when running a PFT. I can max out on crunches as long as I do a set every day in addition to occasional ab workouts (planks, hanging leg lifts etc.).

Currently working on knots and going through the Ranger Handbook as I will have relatively zero experience compared to lat movers. I have tried to read as many posts as possible on here pertaining to Recon, as well as documents released by the RTC, and Marine and Recon social media sites. I got a 132 GT on the ASVAB, and meet all other requirements for the Recon indoc. I believe I have gained good studying habits while at school which I hope will help me with the vast amount of knowledge and information that is taught at BRPC and BRC.

Right now my two biggest weaknesses are drown proofing and faster ruck times per mile. *** I do not at any time tie my hands or feet together when swimming***. However, I am very positively buoyant (6'1", 165 lbs, low body fat) which helps with floating and travel portions. I have been trying Stew Smith's tips for drown proofing but in regards to bobbing, somersaults, and mask retrieval I still have to release a lot of air to sink to the bottom and end up needing more oxygen to complete these tasks. Right now I will just keep working on it until I get it down. As for rucking I walk and sometimes shuffle (was told not to run during training) but I cannot seem to get under 15 minutes consistently even if I use less weight.

Thank you for letting me join, reading my post, and your dedication to your job/path as well as helping us.

I'm not Recon so I can't speak to much as too that, but there is a huge difference between slick and in cammies for the 500m. I always did CSS when I was training for testings and such, slick. First time I ever did 500m in cammies was during a test. Three strokes in I switched to breaststroke cause I wasn't going anywhere. Everyone has their own preference, but I would recommend training breaststroke just enough to be comfortable and proficient with it. Sounds like you're crushing most of the land stuff and I'll leave the rucking advice to the pros. I was a big guy as well doing drown proofing type events, mask and snorkel retrieval and stuff, it sucks. Super buoyant but it helps a lot for treading so there s that. Best of luck to you.

Good evening all and God Bless! I sincerely hope everyone is doing well.

- SOF Goal: My ultimate goal in the Army is to become a Special Forces Soldier, specifically an 18B. The drive behind my motivation of wanting to become an SF Soldier has multiple reasons behind it. One of them mainly being because my family came from an oppressed country that resulted in a mass genocide, (Khmer Rouge Genocide). Another reason is because I want to go above and beyond in serving a purpose way beyond myself. I looked into the primary missions that SF is responsible for and knew that this is what I wanted to earn the opportunity to do in the Army way before I enlisted.
It is hard for me to explain the passion that I have for why I want attend SFAS, but I feel that this is a calling. I want to earn the privilege to be surrounded by Professional's, and like minded Warriors/Brothers that chose to serve a purpose higher than themselves. I don't want to be surrounded by Soldier's full of poor choices that I am enclosed with on a day to day basis. I currently reside in Fort Campbell as a 68W & driving past 5th Group's buildings sets a burning fire in my heart to never give up on this goal. Especially when I was able to hear an SF Recruiter come speak to us while in replacement. I remember I was the only one whom was interested and stayed behind to ask questions out of roughly 200 Soldiers.

All, please excuse my message above as I accidently typed enter while trying to tab my paragraph, my post is incomplete and I am working to finish it. My Apologies.

- (Cont'd) Right now my focus and primary goal is on retaking my ASVAB to boost my GT score in order to qualify for Selection, which I will start on after I return from JRTC at the end of March. I was 2 points short on my GT score because I simply wasn't prepared for the Math portion of the ASVAB. I have already spoken to my leaders, and expressed my goal in pursuing SF. The research I have conducted so far lately is primarily geared in preparation for SFAS. Once I meet all pre-requisites required I would like to start the process.

In the mean time, in the process of taking the steps to meeting the physical demands of SFAS, I have taken the time to go the gym after getting off work so late to prepare in SFAS for advance. I have been lurking every chance I get to search for workouts and tips in preparing so, and am not the one to post as much. However, I felt that it was time to take a step in becoming more serious about pursuing this goal. I was an Athlete in HS so I took the knowledge of what I learned from my coaches and applied it to my workouts as well. Everything I do in the gym is geared to be the best at the basic fundamentals. Running, rucking, strength and endurance. I am a highly motivated individual, and know that I am not perfect.. But I do like to believe that hard work will get you places as long as you stay committed to the process. I know for a fact I have a weaknesses that I would like to improve.

I understand being Asian American the odds are against me, but speaking with SGM Tu Lam (Retired SF) and having similar back grounds it is indeed possible. I know I am young (20 Yrs Old), but I want to earn the privilege to work with the best & have a bond with a brotherhood like no other. My current plan of action is to continue working out to the best of my ability and improving in those simple areas. I'm awaiting to receive my book "Get Selected" as there is a wealth of knowledge I hear that is useful & that I'm anxious to indulge in. In conclusion, I would like to seek a mentor in guiding me along this path to becoming a true Warrior as such an opportunity like this is invaluable. Thank you for your time all.

(Additional info regarding to my fitness)
APFT: 297, 5'6"- 160 lbs
- PU: 80
- SU: 77
- 2Mi: 13:06, I would like to be able to improve all areas because I am not satisfied with myself. Nonetheless, my weakest area is running.

Good morning,

My current goal is to obtain a TACP retraining slot. I'm a prior service Army reservist. I knew I wanted to reenlist but spent quite a bit of time figuring out what I wanted to do. I knew I didn't want to go back into the reserves as I wanted more than that. Fast track to about this time last year I started reading up on what the TACP field included and asking a close friend who had been one for a number of years. Long story short I decided to pursue that path. The amount of responsibility and effect the TACP field showed drew my interest the more I learned about it.

I'm currently using the Mountain Tactical Institute plans, which are helping me tremendously. PT is around 4-6 days a week while using the 24th SOW Nutrition Program I found on the 24 SOW website to optimize my training with the right fuel.

I'd be grateful to gain access to the TACP mentor group. Using the search function I found that there is a lot of good information there.

Thank you,

JSD

I understand being Asian American the odds are against me,

Why? WTF does being Asian have to do with anything? I know for sure SGM Lam did not say that, ever, and would have punched anybody in the face that suggested such a thing in his presence.

Do you want me to get in touch with every Asian American SF guy I've worked with and poll them? SF is even more egalitarian than anywhere else in the military... you perform, or you leave, you could be purple and if you were the best demo guy out there, nobody on the team would care, you'd catch a lot of shit, but the team would be there for you all the time.

Don't try to play a pity card like that, it shows weakness of character and a victim attitude.

Hello Mentors of Shadow Spear,
I am a 22 year old EMT-B hoping to enlist as a 68W to become a flight medic in the 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment. My decision to become a medic in the Special Operations Aviation Regiment over all other Special Operations Regiments was largely due to their Creed and unique operations. Primarily operating in the dark, casualty extractions in hostile locations, and never leaving a comrade to enemy hands, all these characteristics about the Regiment left me in awe and a burning desire to become a part of the Regiment.

I have been preparing by following Mountain Tactical Athlete's Virtue Series as well as the Jeff Nichols Interval Running Plan.
My current scores are:
P/U: 70
S/U: 80
2 Mile: 13:00
Pull-ups: 12

Academically, I am brushing up on my EMT knowledge and studying a very brief version of Anatomy/Physiology. I have been considering working for as an EMT-B for a few more months and enter paramedic school in an effort to increase my chances.

My greatest weakness is my indecision; I am struggling to put my foot into the door due to my lack of knowledge, confidence, and foresight. I continue to run thoughts in my head that I will not be selected to enter Green Platoon or that the 68W packet has a requirement I am unaware of. I understand that an indecisive mindset is a fatal mindset out in the field, and a direct violation of the Creed.

I feel that asking for guidance in physical readiness for SOAR selection would waste a mentors time when I have all the tools to succeed from the SORB SOAR site and this forum. Academically, I understand that my work ethics and effort in BCT and AIT will have a direct effect on my chances. Due to the competitive nature of selection for any Special Operation Regiments, would it be recommended I achieve a EMT-P certification before enlisting? In the case that my packet is not accepted, I am prepared to work as a 68W for the duration of my contract.

Any criticism and corrective advice would fall on earnest and eager ears.
Thank you for your time and service

Greetings everyone,
I am 29 years old, prior Air Force and looking to pick up an 18X contract. I have spoken to a recruiter, just to verify that my age would not be an issue. My recruiter informed me that I do not need to retake the ASVAB since my GT score was over 110. I haven't gone to MEPS for a physical yet, but I have my hearing and eyesight scores from my last physical on active duty and I bounced them off of AR 40-501, and read through the rest of the appointment and Airborne/SF requirements and am confident I don't have any issues.
I have started going to the gym for the first time in years, right now I'm concentrating solely on barbell strength training. It is my understanding that the Q-course isn't about brute strength, but I'm pretty sure I need to be stronger than I am now. Physically I know I need a lot of work in all areas, right now I'm looking at a 191/300 for the 18-21 Age Bracket APFT. I know I need drastic improvement in every area, and I'm taking steps.
Push-ups: 45
Sit-ups: 53
2 Mile run: 15:20
Pull-ups: 8
5 Mile run: 44:00
4 Mile ruck, 35 lbs: 56:49
I purchased and read "Get Selected for Special Forces" by MAJ Joe Martin, and have been putting the information in that book to practice. I did my first ruck this weekend and have started toughening up my feet and learning to care for them properly. I've already racked up two minor injuries that I am attributing to being under-educated and over-ambitious. I have since started stretching and doing warm-ups and cool-downs in conjunction with exercise, lesson learned.
I have zero land-nav or map reading skills or experience. I recently joined my local orienteering club but have only taken part in one event with them so far, but they have events scheduled 2-3 times a month for most of the summer and fall. I intend on making as many as I can. I have also started studying FM3-25.26, but I admit I am having trouble teaching myself. I'm counting on the activities with my orienteering club reinforcing some of the concepts I'm reading about.
Thanks for reading my spiel, and I appreciate any and all feedback.

Greetings everyone,
I am 29 years old, prior Air Force and looking to pick up an 18X contract. I have spoken to a recruiter, just to verify that my age would not be an issue. My recruiter informed me that I do not need to retake the ASVAB since my GT score was over 110. I haven't gone to MEPS for a physical yet, but I have my hearing and eyesight scores from my last physical on active duty and I bounced them off of AR 40-501, and read through the rest of the appointment and Airborne/SF requirements and am confident I don't have any issues.
I have started going to the gym for the first time in years, right now I'm concentrating solely on barbell strength training. It is my understanding that the Q-course isn't about brute strength, but I'm pretty sure I need to be stronger than I am now. Physically I know I need a lot of work in all areas, right now I'm looking at a 191/300 for the 18-21 Age Bracket APFT. I know I need drastic improvement in every area, and I'm taking steps.
Push-ups: 45
Sit-ups: 53
2 Mile run: 15:20
Pull-ups: 8
5 Mile run: 44:00
4 Mile ruck, 35 lbs: 56:49
I purchased and read "Get Selected for Special Forces" by MAJ Joe Martin, and have been putting the information in that book to practice. I did my first ruck this weekend and have started toughening up my feet and learning to care for them properly. I've already racked up two minor injuries that I am attributing to being under-educated and over-ambitious. I have since started stretching and doing warm-ups and cool-downs in conjunction with exercise, lesson learned.
I have zero land-nav or map reading skills or experience. I recently joined my local orienteering club but have only taken part in one event with them so far, but they have events scheduled 2-3 times a month for most of the summer and fall. I intend on making as many as I can. I have also started studying FM3-25.26, but I admit I am having trouble teaching myself. I'm counting on the activities with my orienteering club reinforcing some of the concepts I'm reading about.
Thanks for reading my spiel, and I appreciate any and all feedback.

You have along road on the physical side of your journey... keep at it, but the clock is ticking on the window closing.

You have along road on the physical side of your journey... keep at it, but the clock is ticking on the window closing.

The injuries are frustrating, but I'm thankful they are minor and happened early. I am concentrating a lot on physical therapy-type strengthening exercises, as well as mobility and flexibility work. It is my hope that this work combined with a gradual increase in training will help to minimize any future injuries.

The injuries are frustrating, but I'm thankful they are minor and happened early. I am concentrating a lot on physical therapy-type strengthening exercises, as well as mobility and flexibility work. It is my hope that this work combined with a gradual increase in training will help to minimize any future injuries.

I'm talking about your PT numbers. They're a little low across the board, if you're not able to get 270 overall while exhausted, and still hit a 12 mile ruck under 3 hours with 65 lbs dry, you're not going to make the cut.

@usaf2t3 -
Based on the numbers you posted, you will not pass the minimum standards on the initial APFT. The minimum passing score on the entry PT test is not less than 70 points in each event with a total score of 210. Example, you can max the push-up and sit-up event but run the 2-miles in 1530 for a total score of 266 but you will fail the overall PT test because of the run score. If you fail one event, you must take the entire test over - not just the event you failed.

Please keep in mind that these are the bare minimum performance numbers - passing with 70/70/70=210 may get you in the door, but historical statistics show that turning out less than a 270, like xSFmed stated, is going to stack everything against you. The course is designed to break the most fit troops down to their near breaking point. If you are only putting up "passing" numbers, you are going to break down faster and make yourself MUCH more prone to injury. I am NOT trying to discourage you - I am just offering some expectation-management. Joe Martins book is not a bad resource for you to use - but you need to understand that you should be able to EASILY pass those minimum standards with a bad case of stomach flue at 7am on new Years day.

If you are only carrying a 35 pound ruck, you are going to get left behind.

Consider this for weight/load management:
On a good day, when you pass the line of departure - your body armor, radio, water, basic load of ammunition, and individual weapons are going put roughly 70 to 80 pounds of equipment on top of you.
Countless studies done by the DOD over the last 50 years have repeatedly preached that "no soldier carry more than 50 pounds for any length of time" all the while adding more bullshit to your load.

Yep - radios got lighter - but now, EVERYONE carries a radio, not just the RTO. Gone is the reliance on a lensatic compass - but now you have to carry extra batteries for your pocket sized GPS. The M16A2 shrunk down to the size of an M4 but now you have more weight in gadgets attached to the rifle than you did when the gun was six inches longer.
Water and bullets still weigh the same.
...and we haven't added the weight of food, extra socks, first aid gear, and emergency signaling devices.

When you consider the actual load being carried when you head out on an extended dismounted patrol, you can plan on carrying anywhere form 90 to 130 pounds of crap through varying terrain. THAT is what you should be shooting for as a goal if you want to be successful in the SFQC. The Uwharrie National Forest has nothing but contempt for SFQC students and humping a student ruck during SUT/Robin Sage will quickly expose a candidates true level physical readiness.

I wish you the best of luck - don't give up, don't give in... just keep moving forward towards your objective.

<Mod Edit to fix "tagging" of usaf2tc - Rah>

Last edited by a moderator:
I want to be an ODA because I like the UW mission, and a lot of the missions SF do, I like the idea of training indigenous populations to fight against their oppressors. I find we should confront evil wherever it lies, I dont have the experience to say that SF do just that, but from what I've read, it is what they do. That being said, it's taken me a while to actually conceptualize why I want to do it, and even longer to just take the first step, that being joining and graduating BCT/AIT

I decided when I was a Junior in high school that I wanted to join the military. At the time I wanted to be Navy, I thought Sea duty would be cool as hell, plus the added benefit of travelling the world. However, when I talked to a a Marine recruiter I would later decide on being a Marine, after all shooting guns AND travelling on ships was a lot cooler than just ships, that is what I set my sights on 3-4 years ago. One major problem, I was 18, 5'7 and 250 lbs of fat. Obviously, nobody wanted me, and for some damn good reason. So I worked. I worked on and off, often times losing motivation for months at a time. Eventually, once I was down to 220, I got serious and began contemplating what I actually wanted to do, which led me to SOF, at the time I decided on MARSOC. The idea of facing a challenge I'd never faced before, something so far out of my league it would take everything I had inspired me. Pass or fail I just wanted to try.

By this time I had already graduated, working at a KFC and hating every second of it (Admittidely it wasn't that bad, I was just impatient). I just wanted to be in the Marines and was tired of monotonous excersize and dieting. It just never felt like it was going anywhere. About this time, however, I realized that I only wanted to be a Marine for the name, and that my motivation was superficial, it just wasn't real. This was around March of 2015, and it took me two years and a lot of soul searching to figure out what I wanted. Once I was down to 190, I decided on the Army, and Special forces with it, and while I never actually lost the desire to be in SF, I can't say I was as determined to do it. After all, I had to face reality. I may have been losing weight, but the muscle and fitness were hard to gain. I did a lot of pathetic self pity, if I'm being honest, and felt that SOF would be too hard, but it was always there in the back of my mind. Eventually I sat down and talked with an Army recruiter, he talked to me seriously about my chances at being in an SOF unit. He recommended that I don't choose 18x simply so I can get time in service, mature up, and learn a skill so I can be an actuall asset rather than an immature kid. Hell, I may even find that I don't want to be SF during or after Basic So I took his advice and ran with it, I enlisted as a 35S, which got the security clearance out of the way early and a chance at SOF support already there.

Now that I'm at my first duty station, been out of BCT for 5 months, and AIT for 1, I can say now more so than ever I want to be SF. BCT was good for me, as I was at Fort Jackson while they were just testing out a new culminating event based on the Marine Crucible, "The Forge" as they called it. My Battalion ((1-34)OPSEC?) was one of the first few to go through it. I believe we rucked 15 miles with 40lbs the first night, and at the end of the week would have gone around 50 total miles. Truth be told, I dont know the exact distance heard different things, honestly it sucked, but I'd do it again. I believe this is why I am far more confident in myself in regard to SOF selection, albeit, still a ways to go.

Admittidely, my plan is sketchy, and I'm not too confident in its effectiveness, so I've decided to use the Ranger 12-week preparation for now, as I lack the knowledge and experience to make my own, and will be using what I take from that as a building block to make my own plan.

As for back-up plans, be the best SIGINT soldier I can be. Of course, I've also looked into SOF Support, and lucky me my Sergeant just so happened to have done that, CID, CI, and a few other jobs.

As for mentorship, I have this whole cite to use. But personal advice and conversations never hurt, thank you for reading this long winded, and very likely poorly put together post.

Gentleman,
My name is Alex Campbell, I am 26 years old, I served 4.5 years in the Marines and am currently in the CT national guard as an 11b I work full-time and am a full-time college student. I enlisted in the marines in 2010 because honestly, I wouldn’t have made it into any college. I had graduated with a 1.9 GPA from high school knowing that I decided to take the alternate route and join the military like my grandfather had done. I went into the Marines hoping for infantry, but I signed an open contract for construction utilities being told I would be a “Combat Engineer”. After I graduated Marine Combat Training all “Combat Engineers” became 1391 Bulk Fuel Specialists. I was 19 when I first got into the fleet I hated my job, but I did my best to stick it out and learn my trade after two years I LAT moved over to Counterintelligence and Human Intelligence 0211 I was 22 and became a Sgt shortly after the move. I failed the CI/HUMINT course and here’s why. I was immature, I had a chip on my shoulder thinking that I was some hot shot because I made rank quick and was chosen to go to one of the harder courses that the marines had to offer. I thought that I was going to be top in the class because of my time in Camp Lejeune’s On the Job Training where we sat for a year going over intelligence disciplines, report writing, and other aspects of the job. What I did not take into consideration for the course was my maturity, my immaturity made it difficult to click with the team and even though I did well on tests and briefs I was far behind my peers on collection the most important aspect of the job. I failed the course and that failure stuck with me until my extension ran out in the marines.
My experience in the marines showed a lot of my character flaws, I was immature I let my success inflate my ego which turned detrimental to a team environment, my hubris led to me being unable to accept failure and not seeing what a powerful tool failure could be in terms of self-improvement. When leaving the marines I found a job as a carpenters apprentice where I failed every single day for 6 months, but instead of having the attitude of “Im a marine I can do anything” I became focused, I took the extra time to improve what my failures showed me whether it was an inappropriate sistering of a joint or if a railing was warped due to the supports not being level or if the wood was a poor cut. I took this time as an apprentice to do what I didn’t in the marines and that is to put my frustration and pride aside and use failure as a tool to improve myself and be a better asset to the company I worked for. This turned into long days and over nights but became a valuable life lesson that I apply to everything today.
I decided to step away from carpentry and attend college full time to pursue a degree in criminal justice. However, this time in school I was going to apply myself, I was going to learn because “a man is only worth what he does know and what he is willing to learn”. With my change in attitude my performance was vastly different from high school though I was denied to the colleges I applied to the lessons I learned in life allowed me to maintain a position on the deans list on each semester however there is room for improvement and I will constantly seek that. I recently joined the National Guard as an 11b and with my change in attitude and found out that they have special forces units. I would like to be a part of something greater than myself, something that relies on the betterment of self, so the team can thrive. That is why I would like to attend SFRE and hopefully become a part of a team.
My goals to achieve in Special Operations:
1). Like in life, I want to learn, to become the best version of myself as possible to be a part of, and contribute, to a cause greater than myself.
2) I want to serve my country and use my experience to hopefully lead a team one day.
Things I can improve on:
  • Smart training. I tend to overdue things and in these efforts, I end up getting hurt. It took an impinged shoulder and knee bursitis to have me realize this.
  • Proper time management: As a full time student and a full time night janitor I have a hard time finding a good schedule to facilitate lifting and running. Any help will be appreciated.
  • Land Nav: Currently I am looking at land orienteering clubs in my area, but I can’t find any and Boy Scouts of America will not facilitate the type of land nav I need. I have been using AKO and MOL classes, but nothing beats hands on training. I will try to contact the SF units in Rhode Island and Mass to see if I can drill with them and learn.
  • Fitness and Nutrition: I currently powerlift, row, and do yoga. I understand that Powerlifting is not the answer it may make me strong, but my endurance has dropped significantly. I eat pretty healthy currently I am reading the Renaissance Periodization nutrition guide and speak regularly to a nutritionist, but I am open to suggestions on what changes I can make to better recovery.

I want to be an ODA...

You want to be an entire ODA? Impressive goal, a couple of us on the board have 2, maybe 3, SF MOS's... I really want to know how you're going to be an NCO, Warrant and Officer at the same time.

Yes, I am messing with you to let you know clarity of thought and communication is an integral part of being on an SF Team.

You want to be an entire ODA? Impressive goal, a couple of us on the board have 2, maybe 3, SF MOS's... I really want to know how you're going to be an NCO, Warrant and Officer at the same time.

Yes, I am messing with you to let you know clarity of thought and communication is an integral part of being on an SF Team.

I'll be honest, I didn't know what word or nomenclature I wanted to use.

Back