First Post

Hello, my name's Andrew.

To piggyback off of my introduction, I'm looking to attend SFAS and join the Army Special Forces community with the preferences of an 18E, learn an Asian or South American regionally appropriate language, and be transferred to 7th or 5th group; these are only preferences however. Should aptitude or needs suggest another MOS/language/group be more appropriate, I would be grateful to change.

I've been looking into this career field for roughly two years and have put a lot of reason and careful consideration into why I have the preferences I do. Everything from personal appearance, to my current MOS have influenced my preferences. As a 13F, I've learned basic skills such as CFF and LANDNAV. It is to my understanding that although basic soldier skills, these are both critical to every Special Forces Soldier. Being well versed in other Fire Support platforms leads me to think that 18E be the best place for me. I have yet to take a DLAB, but I would receive personal enjoyment learning South American/Asian culture.

I make it a goal to reference daily tasks to some of the pieces of literature that I read pertaining to the SOF mindset. (A Message to Garcia, The Warrior Ethos, etc.) I also have read a lot of literature about the history of Army Special Operations units. I do my best to incorporate optimism and reason into every situation, as well as mastery of basic soldiering tasks. I started out my Army career a PT failure, but make continous effort and improvement to reach my goals.

My current plan of action is to continue self-improvement both it be mental and physical, maintain open-mindedness, as well as begin the THOR II workout program in preparation for SFAS.

My current plan of action is to continue self-improvement both it be mental and physical, maintain open-mindedness, as well as begin the THOR II workout program in preparation for SFAS.

Just curious, what kind of physical shape are you in right now, a baseline APFT? Also how far or near in the future would SFAS be for you?

Just curious, what kind of physical shape are you in right now, a baseline APFT? Also how far or near in the future would SFAS be for you?
@Border

You mean well, but since this is the SOF Mentor area, please leave the question asking and advice to those Verfied Members who fall into that category.

Thanks.

Hello, my name is Reid.

I am seeking admittance into a SARC mentor group preferably, but I would also be perfectly content with a Marine Recon group or MARSOC. I'm currently 18, almost 19, years old and have just graduated high school. As I said in my introduction post, I am enlisted as a Corpsman in the Navy (Leave for RTC on August 7th) with hopes to go FMF then Recon. I'm focused on my immediate goal of excelling in basic, but also want guidance and advice in completing my long-term goal of becoming a SARC.

My motivation for aspiring to become a SARC is to be capable of being both a medical provider while also a proficient operator. I have always wanted to do something worthwhile with my life and have developed a deep admiration for medicine. I love the special operations mindset of both never quitting and continually seeking to improve oneself. I want to help people on their worst of days, and bring our servicemen and women back home to their loved ones. I also strive to be an operator who is capable of performing small, concise assaults to slowly weaken and dismantle terrorist operations. This is why I want to be apart of the special operations community because of their unique capabilities in war and their function as the tip of the spear. I love the fact that a SARC can be both a Recon operator, capable of a plethora of unique and important mission sets, and a medical provider who is highly trained to provide battlefield aid. I have thought of Pararescue intensely, but feel that being on the ground from beginning to end is a better option for me.

My main focus currently is to continue to improve my overall fitness and increase my PST times/numbers. I joined the swim team this year which helped improve my swimming capabilities exponentially. I went from a 9:27 500m freestyle time to a 6:53 by the end of the year. I have been working with my recruiter to learn the CSS and to improve my overall comfortability in the water. Improving my water confidence is currently my biggest goal, while I'm also striving to improve my run times. I understand I have a very long, arduous road ahead of me and am fully committed to my end goal. I just got my NREMT-B and took a Phlebotomy class which I hoped would help prepare me to excel in Corpsman school and beyond. Additionally, I have done extensive research on Recon and special operations as a whole, which hopefully will prevent me from asking any ignorant questions. I have been in contact with two SARCs who have helped me immensely and have helped me get to where I am now, but due to their unavailability at times (they're both active duty) I am not always able to contact them. I want to be the best that I can be in order to help my future team and would appreciate any guidance and help that a mentor group could provide. I welcome any help and advice!

Thanks for reading thus far and feel free to correct me in any way. I understand I'm seeking to join an elite group without a whole lot of experience to back up my aspirations. I am fully willing to elaborate on anything and to wait until I have actually experienced military life. I just feel like it would be foolish to not prepare for a pipeline that most people fail out of. Thanks again and have a great day!

I was directed here to make my first post:

I'm a Senior in High School and I'm currently waiting on a 68W Option 40 Contract. I joined the forum to soak up as much knowledge as possible on selection. More specifically, the best way/program to get physically fit for RASP. I'm sure with enough research, I'll figure it out. For the meantime, I'm very interested in joining a mentor circle.

Im a 30yr old (yes I know Im an old guy and pushing the age limits) ICU nurse. I have always been intrigued by the grit and tenacity of our guys at the tip of the spear. I had always thought of SF as a young mans career. I had mentioned my loved and support and dreams wishing I had know enough about it at a younger age. Unknown to me the nurse I was talking to was a former 18F in the 90s, he told me about the 18x program and how I should look into the 18D. Once I saw that I still was within the age range. Ive been training my ass over for a little over 8months. This is definitely something I wake up everyday thinking about. I was even more intrigued to see the Army has a SF dive program. I very comfortable in the water and do multiple 3mi+ open water swims yearly. Any insight anyone can give me on specific things to approach the recruiter with that someone without any military background might not know to ask. Thanks again !

I am currently a 26 YOM Firefighter/EMT-B and will soon graduate with my Paramedic certification. I have always wanted to serve and any service at all would be an honor. I waited until now because I wanted to age a bit and gain experience before trying out for a service that values integrity, maturity, leadership, and intelligence. I have had Special Forces in my sights for 6 years now due to the mission and the way they go about accomplishing it. I have spent that time preparing (stalking the shadows of Professionalsoldiers.com and heeding the wisdom there) and I am hopeful I can spend even more years always striving to be better in the company of others who expect nothing less. What could be better than specializing in language, culture, building rapport, combat, training a nation's citizens to fight for themselves, learning vast amounts of knowledge about a plethora of subjects, all while furthering the big picture and getting paid to spend every day with your best friends?

I spend every shift day on duty working with people of extremely varied demographics, class, and ailments. It is one of the busiest districts in the city right in the middle of the worst heroin mortality rate in the United States. My very first structure fire had a trapped person inside and regardless of how nervous I was you could find me beside my brothers eating smoke. Our attrition rate is awful because no one wants to deal with the tempo for so little money. Why stick around and do so much for "so little" when you can make more doing less? I wouldn't trade a day of being with my guys who earn their place every shift, stay professional, who have my back and whom I would never let bake alone, constantly improve and stay humble, do a job so few can do, and all because they want to be there. That is how I see Special Forces. My current job contains only the smallest facets of what you do. To try out for the big leagues would be an absolute honor.

Due to my prior medical background, the dream is to earn an 18D slot. I look forward to the connections I make on this forum and would be happy to help any who ask in regards to a PT buddy or questions about my civilian job if you are looking to get a start in it.

First post. Reviewing and researching as much as possible. Looking to go ID ANG for TACP.

Re-posting this from my Introduction post
I am new here. Prior service AF. 2E653 and SF Augmentee. Was in LE for about 3 years. Been in the Telecom/Network world as an engineer.
I am working towards re-enlisting AG, probably ID as they are the closest TACP base to where I live.
Spoke with several CCT, both AD and ANG and now looking for local UT/ID TACP to discuss experience and thoughts.
Going to review the Mentoring section right after this.
Couple items I will be reviewing is the work/life balance for ANG guys and seasoning within TACP.
Happy to be here and look forward to taking in as much as I can.

I have been talking with an Army recruiter for the past week. I will take the official ASVAB on Monday, December 3rd, 2018. I didn’t do very well on the practice test, so I’m using March2Success to study. I am confident that I can get a sufficient General Technical (GT) score if I focus on mathematics. My goal is to either be a Special Forces Candidate (18x) or get an Option 40 contract. The Option 40 contract interests me more, but I believe I would enjoy doing either job, so I’ll take whatever my recruiter says is available.

I know this implies everything goes perfectly, so my backup plan is to enlist as an infantryman if I am not qualified.

My main priority right now is to get a 110 GT score.

I have been talking with an Army recruiter for the past week. I will take the official ASVAB on Monday, December 3rd, 2018. I didn’t do very well on the practice test, so I’m using March2Success to study. I am confident that I can get a sufficient General Technical (GT) score if I focus on mathematics. My goal is to either be a Special Forces Candidate (18x) or get an Option 40 contract. The Option 40 contract interests me more, but I believe I would enjoy doing either job, so I’ll take whatever my recruiter says is available.

I know this implies everything goes perfectly, so my backup plan is to enlist as an infantryman if I am not qualified.

My main priority right now is to get a 110 GT score.
I'm by no means a super intelligent guy, however I was able to score with a 110 GT using the practice tests. They're very effective.

I'm by no means a super intelligent guy, however I was able to score with a 110 GT using the practice tests. They're very effective.

I found out yesterday that the GT score is composed of the Word Knowledge (WK), Paragraph Comprehension (PC) and Arithmetic Reasoning (AR) scores, so now I feel confident that I can get a 110 GT score.

I just got back home from MEPS.

I do not know my GT score yet, but I am pretty sure that it is sufficient for the MOS that I want.

Hello all,

I came to this forum a few months ago, loud and with my head unknowingly lodged inside of my 4th point of contact, asking for some help on picking an MOS and what would be the best track to joining the 75th. For me, Ranger Batt was like a dream and the little kid inside of me was all riled up and giddy about the idea of running around, killing bad guys. My motivation a short time ago was just that; kill the baddies. That's a bit different now, so I'd like to try again, but this time ask more seriously.

(TL;DR at bottom)
--

Recently, I graduated BCT and after going through it I've learned quite a bit about myself, my goals, and that I am a long way from anything SOF related. It was a big eye opener to me. I truly realized the meaning of the 25m Target that has been preached in a number of threads around here and I have also learned that every day brings a new, smaller target that you need to handle if you want to reach your bigger end goal. Whether it be getting through PT for the day, completing the daily ruck march, or just making sure you don't look like crap when you get in formation. I told myself when I left for BCT that if the 75th was my goal, I needed to prove it to myself each day and if I could do that, then I would come back here.

After going through BCT, talking with my Drill Sergeants, and taking several nights to really think over what I would like to do, I've never been more motivated to reach my goal. However, I've learned that I can't do it alone. Teamwork and Support make the operations go more smoothly and I'd like to request some help with reaching my goal. I'm willing to put in the work, to do the research, and to dig until I can't anymore. If y'all are willing to provide me with that little bit of guidance and allow me to pick y'alls brains so that I can make myself successful in this long road, I will return your kindness with as much gratitude as I can give and hopefully a result of me becoming a member of something far, far bigger than me.

My Goal(s):
My initial goal when I left for BCT was to make a career I wouldn't regret. That hasn't changed, but after Basic I've come up with a little plan to help me do that. I've given myself a few smaller little steps that I want to achieve. If I can do that, then I can end my career satisfied. I was unable to get Option 40 in my initial contract. If that rules out my chances of getting into the 75th until I re-up or entirely, then I will make the best of my career as Airborne or Air Assault.

-Physical Goals: Score 280 on the APFT, and once I get to 280, get to 290, then 300. Run 2 Miles in 10-12 Minutes. Run 5 Miles in 45 Minutes. Score 80-90 P/Us in 2 Minutes, Score 100 S/Us in 2 minutes.​
-Deploy at least once or twice to a combat zone to gain experience.​
-Earn an Airborne or Air Assault slot, then a RASP slot.​
-Join the 75th.​

Preparation:
In order to prepare for the long road, I'm going to put together an exercise plan to keep me in shape and build my "operational fitness" to a standard that helps me stand out from my peers. In addition, I've already begun reading and researching my MOS so that I can excel at it. My Drill Sergeant provided me with some tools and things that I need to know if I want to stand out, and I've already started learning what I can.

My PT isn't great, but I do sets of push-ups and sit-ups each hour daily, I run and ruck regularly whenever I get an opportunity, and I've adjusted my diet to be more healthy and provide me with more nutrition. I'm not a nutritionist in the least, but I do my best.

Current Physical Shape:​
  • 2 Mile Run: 13:30 average.
  • Push-Ups: 64
  • Sit-ups: 69
  • 5 Mile Run: 55-60 Minutes, average (pre-BCT. Haven't run 5 miles since I left, yet.)

Motivation:
My motivation for wanting to go Ranger Batt is somewhat complicated because I have multiple reasons.

First, I want the challenge of it. In BCT, the daily challenges I faced gave me drive to push myself harder and really reminded me of why I joined. There weren't challenges every day, as some days were easier than others, but each training event gave me something to learn and I did my best to absorb it all. i pushed myself to prove that if I wanted to go 75th, then I needed to act like every single step I took was a qualification requirement.

Secondly, I want to be able to say that I did it. That I was one of the few who made it to one of the best Regiments in the world and I fought with some of the greatest fire-breathers on the planet. Having that pride in my heart and the ability to say that I earned the scroll is enough motivation for me to just breathe.

Third, my family has pushed me along and provided me with the support to achieve everything I've done. If I can put on that Tan Beret and wear that scroll just once for my family and show them that I could reach something I never thought I ever would, then I'm willing to fight for it.

TL;DR:
I'm a highly motivated trainee fresh from BCT who is willing to put in the time and the work to become one of the leanest, meanest Army Soldiers. I'm currently of mediocre PT-Shape, I eat healthy, and I'm doing a lot of prep to help make me one of the best of my MOS. If y'all would be willing to allow me to join your Mentor Group and provide me with guidance along the way to help make me successful, I would be eternally grateful and would give you my all.

Thank you,
-Haldex

I am a 29 year old, six year veteran of enlisted Naval aviation. I joined the Navy after withdrawing from college and carried that failure mentality with me as I failed out of the Navy Special Operations program I initially enlisted for. I was extremely fit but mentally unprepared and allowed reservations to creep in until I was overcome with self-doubt. I didn't quit in a moment of stress, I quit after a weekend of thinking and I will forever live with that regret. Fortunately, I landed a job for the rest of my enlistment that was challenging, enjoyable, and allowed me to thrive in an environment of controlled chaos. I separated from the Navy, travelled a bit and finished my Bachelors degree while working as an IT contractor. I visited an Army recruiter to discuss the 18x program around the same time I had been accepted to graduate school and ultimately decided on the later for two reasons. 1) Furthering education is never a waste and 2) the next time I immerse myself into the military it will probably be until I no longer can, so enjoy the liberties of a civilian in the meantime and enlist soon after my 30th birthday.

I will complete my Masters of Science degree in Conflict Resolution by October and the plan is to visit an Army recruiter around June to get the ball rolling for the 18x program once I arrive back in the states as I currently study abroad. I completed the THOR3 14 week workout program last summer and by the end I was rucking 70 lbs. at consistent 14 minute miles. I am now simply running twice per week and rucking once (50 lbs.), all at distances between 3-7 miles. Also, a few gym sessions per week lifting light-weight high-repetitions with a strong emphasis afterwards on stretching and recovery. I tend to overtrain causing strains and I'm starting to realize as I creep up on 30 that injuries take longer than a week to heal like they used to so I am pushing myself to work through a regimented maintenance phase of fitness. I plan on beginning the THOR3 program again in April to gain that strong focused baseline and then finishing the summer with by running, rucking, and crossfire style workouts leading into my hopeful enlistment.

The forums have been a wealth of knowledge and I hope to gain even more by joining a mentoring group. Thanks for having me.

-RJ

I am 23 years old, recently signed my contract/swore in/etc etc. I have no college and mostly 'entry level' labor experience. I'm motivated by a range of factors, none that so much pushed me towards this individually, but in sum pointed me this way and no other. Some of it's a basic desire to prove myself, some of it is honestly philosophical, the money and benefits I'm not as concerned about. I've wanted to join for some time but it seems recently that things really came together to make it happen. My immediate goals are obviously to pass selection and make it to a unit. More immediate than that would be a APFT score of 300 by the time I finish the portion of OSUT that corresponds to BCT. I'm no stud now but I remember high school PE and the scoring on the APFT seems like a 300 should be laughably easy after 5 or 6 weeks of dedicated work. I'm much more concerned with breaking my feet in as much as possible, and getting my mass up. My long term goal is to spend some time with SF and one day shoot for Ranger Recon.

I am not nearly as prepared as I'd like to be (I take a little solace that the consensus appears to be that no one can truly 'be prepared' for selection), but that's why Im here, right? Pointers. I'm not physically unfit per se, I can run several miles at a reasonable pace, lift my own body, and so on, but I wouldn't call myself for either. I recently quit smoking for the most part, and I sit on the scrawnier side. I scored well on the ASVAB/PICAT (?) in all my composite scores, so I hope that translates well in practice. In sum, I'm not much better prepared than any person who walked into a recruiter off the street. I'm not relying on my intellect to carry me, but I'm certainly counting on mental fortitude more than some of the guys who are going for selection soon or entering the pipeline like me. Would love a chance to join a mentor group, to help focus my efforts and to help the forum remain unclogged. Thanks a million I'd advance

Attachments

• 1547590303068-1620742810.jpg
    1547590303068-1620742810.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 8
I am 23 years old, recently signed my contract/swore in/etc etc. I have no college and mostly 'entry level' labor experience. I'm motivated by a range of factors, none that so much pushed me towards this individually, but in sum pointed me this way and no other. Some of it's a basic desire to prove myself, some of it is honestly philosophical, the money and benefits I'm not as concerned about. I've wanted to join for some time but it seems recently that things really came together to make it happen. My immediate goals are obviously to pass selection and make it to a unit. More immediate than that would be a APFT score of 300 by the time I finish the portion of OSUT that corresponds to BCT. I'm no stud now but I remember high school PE and the scoring on the APFT seems like a 300 should be laughably easy after 5 or 6 weeks of dedicated work. I'm much more concerned with breaking my feet in as much as possible, and getting my mass up. My long term goal is to spend some time with SF and one day shoot for Ranger Recon.

I am not nearly as prepared as I'd like to be (I take a little solace that the consensus appears to be that no one can truly 'be prepared' for selection), but that's why Im here, right? Pointers. I'm not physically unfit per se, I can run several miles at a reasonable pace, lift my own body, and so on, but I wouldn't call myself for either. I recently quit smoking for the most part, and I sit on the scrawnier side. I scored well on the ASVAB/PICAT (?) in all my composite scores, so I hope that translates well in practice. In sum, I'm not much better prepared than any person who walked into a recruiter off the street. I'm not relying on my intellect to carry me, but I'm certainly counting on mental fortitude more than some of the guys who are going for selection soon or entering the pipeline like me. Would love a chance to join a mentor group, to help focus my efforts and to help the forum remain unclogged. Thanks a million I'd advance

Review your intro and my notes before posting again.
https://shadowspear.com/vb/threads/hello-folks.30995/#post-535045

Back