Is there anyway around Hypothyroidism(controlled)

benroliver

Justa68W
Verified Military
Is there anyone currently serving in SF or combat roles that could shed some light on this. I am extremely frustrated at the moment but I refuse to give up. I am getting mixed answers from my research. It seems to me that I should be ok enlisting given that its not Hyper/Uncontrolled but its going to limit me on my MOS opportunities, but I cant find specifics. Some say its up to MEPs, some say give up, others say they haven't had it cause them any issues ect.... Giving up for me just isn't an option unless they drag me out of meps, even if my service means I am limited to cleaning urinals :-/

The thing is, before I was even diagnosed with it years ago I was still running cross country and fighting. I always attributed any random fatigue to my body just being tired. I always trained right through it and maintained a good diet and have never had issues with weight because I stayed disciplined. I walk around 155-160 and would often cut to 135/145 for fights. I have been on the same strength of Synthroid for years but I am not sure if the severity or lack there of will even matter if I am automatically DQed.

I do know that given the opportunity to prove myself without the medication for lengths of time I would do it in a heartbeat.:(

I have been on the same strength of Synthroid for years but I am not sure if the severity or lack there of will even matter if I am automatically DQed.

AR 40-501, para. 2-8.: Current hypothyroidism uncontrolled by medication (244) does not meet the standard.

I don't know how they would work it, but other medicated conditions will usually require 6 months without the meds before they will consider you and that will require paperwork. This won't be a quick fix, if at all, but that's for you and a recruiter to hash out, not the internet. All we can do at this point is tell you what we think about what the recruiter tells you. 40-501's pretty black and white. I wouldn't worry about an MOS until you know if you can even enlist.

You are in a quandary. You could choose to simply stop taking the meds and roll the dice; however, it appears you have already opened Pandora's box by disclosing you have medicinal-controlled hypothyroid. Anything you do now must be completely aboveboard otherwise you will be appear to fraudulent.

This is definitely between you, your recruiter, and MEPS. I would NOT give up on it, though. The other potential issue is the general shrinking of the military and budgetary issues...all branches are turning away people now who a few years ago would have made it.

I say if you are controlled by medicine, drive on. Otherwise, you will never know.

Thanks for the insight Devildoc. I have been controlled for years. I realize I opened the box, but I feel like it is my responsibility to upfront on issues like this :( I can promise this, I will do whatever it takes to be aboveboard. The only thing I can do is lay it on the line. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night if I gave up. If I am going to be considered unfit, it cant and wont be for something I can control.

AR 40-501, para. 2-8.: Current hypothyroidism uncontrolled by medication (244) does not meet the standard.

I don't know how they would work it, but other medicated conditions will usually require 6 months without the meds before they will consider you and that will require paperwork. This won't be a quick fix, if at all, but that's for you and a recruiter to hash out, not the internet. All we can do at this point is tell you what we think about what the recruiter tells you. 40-501's pretty black and white. I wouldn't worry about an MOS until you know if you can even enlist.

Agreed, I will find out more from my recruiter today hopefully. I did read this from a Navydoc on the Navy boards.

navydoc: January 19, 2015 at 6:21 am Michelle, Simple, well-controlled hypothyroidism is not PDQ. If you had/have a different thyroid condition (Graves, Hashimotos, other thyroiditis), it is potentially PDQ. I see many people on this board claim they are PDQ for hypothyroid. If indeed true, that is one of the rare times I believe a Congressional inquiry can help, because the regulation is very clear that well-controlled hypothyroidism is NOT disqualifying (although you will have to submit records proving that it is well-controlled)

Read more at: Medical Conditions Normally Not Waiverable Page-35

If it comes down to it I will try the Navy as well, the current downsizing is :mad:. What is even worse is reading these posts on forums from active duty guys using their condition to try get a medical discharge because they don't feel like managing their weight.:wall:

What is even worse is reading these posts on forums from active duty guys using their condition to try get a medical discharge because they don't feel like managing their weight.:wall:

You will find the absolute best and worst (more of the former than the latter though) of humanity while wearing a uniform. Shitbirds are everywhere, but it feels more like a personal betrayal when in uniform. Don't let that get to you, they aren't worth your time.

I'm in the same situation as OP. I have well controlled hypothyroidism and desperately want to enlist, ideally with a Rep-63 contract.

My experience has also been that you will hear something different depending on who you ask. I suppose it may really juts come down to who is sitting at MEPS that day and how they're feeling. There seem to be no definitive answers and everything is on a case-by-case basis, especially given the current climate of downsizing. It sucks.

OP, have you been in touch with MEPS at all? I tried calling them directly to ask, but haven't been able to get ahold of anyone yet.

The fact that my recruiter has pretty much stopped responding to my messages since I sent him an e-mail inquiring about my hypothyroidism doesn't bode well, unfortunately. Who knew that it would be so hard to move an enlistment forward these days :thumbsdown:

OP, have you been in touch with MEPS at all? I tried calling them directly to ask, but haven't been able to get ahold of anyone yet.

The fact that my recruiter has pretty much stopped responding to my messages since I sent him an e-mail inquiring about my hypothyroidism doesn't bode well, unfortunately. Who knew that it would be so hard to move an enlistment forward these days

MEPS? They are still haggling me about even attempting for the waivers. Originally my issue was the hardware I have in my forearm from a MMA injury. The surgery was so long ago it took me some time to trace back and find all of the paperwork. I had gone to an ortho and had them do a full write up, take new x-rays, and give me a good recommendation but the recruiter refused it all. Several hundred down the drain :(. From what I read hypo controlled doesn't even need a waiver, you just need two back to back blood workups within 6 months that show stability. I have not even discussed the thyroid issue yet because we were so hung up on what I thought was going to be an easy waiver for my arm. Well I finally have everything I need for the arm and I am trying to get back in touch but the recruiter that was originally working with me is on maternity leave lol:-o :wall::ack:

So I had been in touch with the Maryland National Guard about a REP-63 (18x) contract for their SF company. Finally hassled the recruiter long enough for him to follow up with "his superior," and he said no dice. Waivers for hypothyroidism are not being approved at this time ("no chance"). He also said that even if an initial waiver were pushed through at MEPS, it would be impossible to get an airborne physical with a med waiver, thereby disqualifying me from any SOF unit. This SUCKS.

This recruiter can only speak for the Maryland National Guard at this point in time. However, he said that his best guess is that this would be the case across the board, i.e. that Army Active Duty as well as the other services would have the same policy.

Just thought I'd update this thread in case anyone else with this condition is doing research and trying to figure things out. If you are, good luck. My next course of action is to e-mail some recruiters from other states that have SF company's, as well as check with the Air National Guard about their PJ enlistment options. It's a slim chance, but who knows.

I just e-mailed literally every other recruiter in the state and incoming answers are ranging from "no way in hell" to "yea this is no problem, just have your documentation." - I think this shows that with specific issues like this, many recruiters aren't sure themselves. In any case, it is important to note that the people making the decision are the guys at MEPS and NOT the recruiters. My sense is that the recruiter will tell you whatever he feels like or think he knows (no offense to recruiters, this is my personal experience).

As far as MEPS goes, I have no personal experience, but have perused many an internet forum looking for anecdotal evidence. There too it seems like whether or not you are granted a waiver may be based less on formal policies and more on the current recruiting climate (e.g. are they hurting for bodies?) as well as more arbitrary factor, e.g. is the doctor happy today and does he like you.

If you really want it, find a recruiter who is willing to push your paperwork through to MEPS for a med read and see what they say. Their opinion is the only one that matters.

I just e-mailed literally every other recruiter in the state and incoming answers are ranging from "no way in hell" to "yea this is no problem, just have your documentation." - I think this shows that with specific issues like this, many recruiters aren't sure themselves. In any case, it is important to note that the people making the decision are the guys at MEPS and NOT the recruiters. My sense is that the recruiter will tell you whatever he feels like or think he knows (no offense to recruiters, this is my personal experience).

As far as MEPS goes, I have no personal experience, but have perused many an internet forum looking for anecdotal evidence. There too it seems like whether or not you are granted a waiver may be based less on formal policies and more on the current recruiting climate (e.g. are they hurting for bodies?) as well as more arbitrary factor, e.g. is the doctor happy today and does he like you.

If you really want it, find a recruiter who is willing to push your paperwork through to MEPS for a med read and see what they say. Their opinion is the only one that matters.

upload_2016-9-26_17-26-34.png

One of the side effects of going off your thyroid meds can be uncontrolled hypertension... truly a double edged sword....

So I just wanted to update everyone. Everything is actually going well with my recruiter, I am just waiting on the waiver for my hardware which shouldn't (cross fingers) be too much to worry about. My recruiter that I am working with now, Sgt. Wilson, is confident and I cant thank her enough for the work she has put in the last few weeks.

I am hoping to go to MEPS soon once I have this hardware waiver. I know its a long shot but the only thing I can do is be hopeful. I just feel like I need to take this 1 step at a time. If I can enlist as a 68W then I will work from there. I don't know if SF would ever give me the opportunity to try out but the best I can do finish my degree(so close!), score well, and stand out in training.

I know that if I at least do everything in my power but still get denied the opportunity I can hold my head high :( . I have been dreaming about this for years and now that I finally have the opportunity and I am almost through it; I cant hide my excitement lol. I am just ready to prove myself.

Sorry X SF I meant to reply to your post in the one above. As for not taking the medication, throughout the years there have been long periods where I was not on the medication. Insurance related, ect... Up to this point at least I am pretty well aware of my bodies reaction to the lower thyroid. The first few weeks are just irritating, moody, slight fatigue. After that period I feel pretty normal, just not quite as much energy, but nothing I can't manage if for some reason I didn't have access to meds. I spent years training, fighting, and running cross country before I ever even knew it was low.

I had just accepted that as my reality. I do understand that it can be very different for others. My case is pretty mild and has not progressed. I do not have any weight problems or other issues because I am pretty disciplined. I never had issues with blood pressure either, but maybe when I get older I will.

Did they do labs for TSH when you were first worked up? Have they looked at your TSH recently?

Ya they do. So as an example, a few months back I had not taken my medication for a week or two before I went in for an appointment and the nurse insisted she take my blood anyway and forgot to inform my doc. Because of this, they increased my dosage for the first time but immediately after taking it I felt like I was getting a racing heart in the mornings. When I went back in to retest my doc told me that my TSH was low with the new test which was an indication of what I was feeling. They dropped my dose back down to normal and its been fine ever since.

It has been a while since I read anything on the different mechanisms so I am not even sure what the exact cause is for mine. I think when they first tested me years ago they had assumed after the first test that it could be Hashimotos but needed to do more tests. I know for sure it isn't a tumor or anything like that What do you guys think? I could just message my doc on my web portal we have, takes a day or two for him to respond.

Back