Is there anyway around Hypothyroidism(controlled)

Just wanted to update this for anyone seeking information on the topic.

So after going through several recruiters I was finally able to get a recruiter to start my enlistment process. I was told that my Hypothyroid issue would need a waiver and for months I waited so that I could get waivers for both post surgical hardware and Hypothyroidism. Eventually I was told that I needed to stop taking my thyroid medication for 6 months to prove that I was stable per MEPS. This had gone against everything I had researched myself but I felt like I wasn't in a position to tell the recruiter what she did or did not know. I was told that I needed to get a written letter from my physician stating when I was officially starting the 6 month process without it. My doctor refused to recommend a 6 month discontinuance on the basis that it was dangerous for my health. I was told that I could go a few weeks or even a month before problems would start to arise, but 6 months was simply too long.

After meeting my physician I went back and spoke to the recruiter and was told there was nothing more she could do for me. As frustrated as I was I refused to give up and created an account on the GoArmy website to detail my issues. I was advised there to seek another recruiter and that the 6 month wait did not seem appropriate. We both agreed that Hypothyroidism CONTROLLED by medication is not disqualifying or needing of a waiver per the regs. It was also made clear that what MEPS would need is documentation showing that the condition was indeed controlled.

At that point, I called yet another recruiting center and explained my situation. The Sgt. I spoke to offered to look into it for me and push it up the chain to get some clarity. Two days later I called him back to see if he had made any progress and we agreed to meet and start my enlistment process all over. I had not been allowed to take the ASVAB before because they told me I had to wait for the waivers but the new recruiter made me pretest and then scheduled me to take the test. A week later I scored a 93 AFQT and my GT was 126 which seemed to help my case a bit. I found out that none of my paperwork from before had even been submitted and it seemed like a case where I was pushed aside. This time my records were sent up for a med review and I will be going to MEPS soon.

I will update again as soon as the next step is complete:-o

. I had not been allowed to take the ASVAB before because they told me I had to wait for the waivers but the new recruiter made me pretest and then scheduled me to take the test. A week later I scored a 93 AFQT and my GT was 126 which seemed to help my case a bit. I found out that none of my paperwork from before had even been submitted and it seemed like a case where I was pushed aside. This time my records were sent up for a med review and I will be going to MEPS soon.

I will update again as soon as the next step is complete:-o

Congrats, man. Was just gonna say, you should try to do everything you can to be otherwise exemplary on paper - I had three charges pop up on my live scan that would have potentially barred me from the job I was after. It took some legwork on my end (two months of retrieving letters from district attorneys and police departments exonerating me), but I can't overstate how much easier my enlistment process got after people found out I had kickass test scores and was in shape. Recruiters and commanders were exponentially more willing to go out on a limb for me when I made a good impression on them, be it through a good on-paper presence and having a good attitude, and ultimately I wound up getting memos from both the recruiting Bn CO and the CO of my new unit speaking favorably of me for my suitability review and I got the job. It's not a medical issue, to be sure, but without the support of the people I was working with, it would've been just as disqualifying. So take heart. You already knocked out a great score on the ASVAB, so do whatever you can do to show you're a physical stud, too. Not sure if they'll let you take a 1 1 1 or something, but if they do, take the opportunity and crush it. Getting a GXT from your doctor may help your case.

And it may not just be changing recruiters til you find the one you need, you may also consider looking for a new doc/endo that's sympathetic to your plight. I would never suggest you do anything to put your health at risk, but finding a doc who's comfortable with a slightly broader definition of healthy, and who is going to take your self-assessment of the severity of your Dx may be worth looking into. But again, please make sure you take care of yourself - there are other jobs in the world if this one doesn't shake out.

Also, when you get to MEPS, there will be multiple docs going through applicants' Hx reviews. This is a total intangible, but you can kind of get a sense of what they'll be like through eye contact, body language, and maybe a spot of small talk as you're going from one station to the next. I'm not saying offer to take everybody out to lunch, but ultimately it will be them approving or denying you, so even good eye contact, a smile, and a respectful nod in the hallway a few hours before your Hx will make your life easier. If it's down to two docs and the one who's been scowling everybody all day calls your name, let the next asshole in line go ahead and wait til you get the friendly doc.

But for whatever it's worth, I think you've got a kickass attitude and I applaud your efforts and perseverance so far. Best of luck, man.

Congrats, man. Was just gonna say, you should try to do everything you can to be otherwise exemplary on paper - I had three charges pop up on my live scan that would have potentially barred me from the job I was after. It took some legwork on my end (two months of retrieving letters from district attorneys and police departments exonerating me), but I can't overstate how much easier my enlistment process got after people found out I had kickass test scores and was in shape. Recruiters and commanders were exponentially more willing to go out on a limb for me when I made a good impression on them, be it through a good on-paper presence and having a good attitude, and ultimately I wound up getting memos from both the recruiting Bn CO and the CO of my new unit speaking favorably of me for my suitability review and I got the job. It's not a medical issue, to be sure, but without the support of the people I was working with, it would've been just as disqualifying. So take heart. You already knocked out a great score on the ASVAB, so do whatever you can do to show you're a physical stud, too. Not sure if they'll let you take a 1 1 1 or something, but if they do, take the opportunity and crush it. Getting a GXT from your doctor may help your case.

And it may not just be changing recruiters til you find the one you need, you may also consider looking for a new doc/endo that's sympathetic to your plight. I would never suggest you do anything to put your health at risk, but finding a doc who's comfortable with a slightly broader definition of healthy, and who is going to take your self-assessment of the severity of your Dx may be worth looking into. But again, please make sure you take care of yourself - there are other jobs in the world if this one doesn't shake out.

Also, when you get to MEPS, there will be multiple docs going through applicants' Hx reviews. This is a total intangible, but you can kind of get a sense of what they'll be like through eye contact, body language, and maybe a spot of small talk as you're going from one station to the next. I'm not saying offer to take everybody out to lunch, but ultimately it will be them approving or denying you, so even good eye contact, a smile, and a respectful nod in the hallway a few hours before your Hx will make your life easier. If it's down to two docs and the one who's been scowling everybody all day calls your name, let the next asshole in line go ahead and wait til you get the friendly doc.

But for whatever it's worth, I think you've got a kickass attitude and I applaud your efforts and perseverance so far. Best of luck, man.

Appreciate the response man, Advice taken:thumbsup::-)

Ok gentlemen I need some grown up advice before I make a stupid decision. I go into MEPS Wed/Th and they did not have any 68W slots for me to reserve but they had a 68C with 20 grand attached. They reserved it because there was only 1 slot remaining. Now my guess is the practical and "smart" choice is to take it and finish my degree take the free LVN and forget the Hooah:( Given my medical history in this thread and the fact that im 31 is it the smarter decision to go 68C because I may never get the chance to go Airborne or drop a packet for Rasp as a 68W? :-/

68C with $20K sounds pretty good. You will be where the bulk of the Army medics are, and doing bedside medical care. There is a Nursing shortage nationwide, and if you decide to leave the military there will be jobs out there for you. Something I would look at is if there is a program that has a pathway to an RN/BSN. You have to like taking care of sick and injured.

You are correct about the different pathway, but it is not a "bad" choice at all. You never really know what will turn up for you in the military. There are career "broadening" roles, and you can find yourself as an ER or ICU medic. There are other specialties that are open in brick and mortar patient care areas. I'd say take the 68 C, the $20 K, and find your perfect spot in the medical world.

Let us know how things turn out, and what you decide on. This has been a long road for you and I'm glad you have a pathway defined for you. At the age of 31, you will bring a level of maturity that others may draw from.

Thanks for the reply Red Flag 1, I will update this after I get out on Thursday. I am not sure if I will be able to sleep in the hotel on Wednesday lol.

It has been a long difficult road for you. We like to see a guy make it in the military. When you give us feedback, it provides an information flow for others with similar problems. Hang in there, things should go OK. Just keep thinking about the extra $20,000 you'll be getting8-):D.

So mini update, I met with my recruiter today before they took me to the hotel. I begged and pleaded and got me a 68W reserved. I told them I would give up my bonus if necessary. I still get a small one but I signed 4 instead of 6 so I have a few more options, especially since I am not far from my degree. I am feeling good:sneaky: Just have to get through tomorrow.:thumbsup:

Thanks!

Good luck tomorrow and let us know how things work out for you.

It is official!! I am now officially a 68W noob and I managed to get the 20k back plus the 3k. So i got 23k bonus with my 4 year contract. I actually ship out in a matter of days to Ft. Jackson :thumbsup: and then Ft. Sam :-). I am so happy I cant even begin to explain. Thanks to everyone who has helped me to this point.

It is official!! I am now officially a 68W noob and I managed to get the 20k back plus the 3k. So i got 23k bonus with my 4 year contract. I actually ship out in a matter of days to Ft. Jackson :thumbsup: and then Ft. Sam :-). I am so happy I cant even begin to explain. Thanks to everyone who has helped me to this point.

Awesome man!

Benroliver, congratulations!

I just wanted to add to this repository of information, since it's probably the most relevant Hypothyroidism thread on any of the SOF boards at this point.

As mentioned, I had written to every recruiter in the state. I got all kinds of answers; some folks rejected me out of hand. To make a long story short, I submitted all my hypothyroidism-related paperwork (which meant getting new notes from doctors that treated me in the past. I asked them to specifically write "Condition is fully controlled by medication" in the note) -- it all got sent up to MEPS for a pre-screen ("can-we") - that came back within a matter of days and I was cleared to go to MEPS.

MEPS went by without a hitch. The doc really didn't seem all that interested in my hypothyroidism at all, just asked what medication I was taking and how I take it (synthyroid, 50mg, daily) -- I got a 111 on the PULHES and was cleared to enlist without requiring any sort of medical waiver.

So I think the take away is: If you have hypothyroidism that is controlled by medication, don't be dissuaded from trying to enlist. Most recruiters have no understanding whatsoever of what it is or how it might affect your enlistment. If anyone tells you it's an automatic disqualifier, don't believe them - it's clearly not. Find one that is willing to submit your paperwork (make sure you have enough paperwork to credibly document your condition) and don't spend too much time worrying about this stuff. From what I could tell the doc was more interested in my duck walk and whether I was circumcised than he was concerned about my hypothyroidism.

Back