Is there anyway around Hypothyroidism(controlled)

It is official!! I am now officially a 68W noob and I managed to get the 20k back plus the 3k. So i got 23k bonus with my 4 year contract. I actually ship out in a matter of days to Ft. Jackson :thumbsup: and then Ft. Sam :-). I am so happy I cant even begin to explain. Thanks to everyone who has helped me to this point.
Hello sir, I also have hypothyroidism and want to join but I've had trouble as well. No recruiters seemed to have an idea about if I could join and I had a med read sent to meps and they disqualified me. My recruiter told me to get a blood test and he sent in the results from that one test. That was over a year ago now and my wife joined the Air Force and I moved with her. I went to my first doctors appointment on base and my doctor, who is a Captain in the Air Force, said I shouldn't have been disqualified and that he also has hypothyroidism himself. I am also determined to get in as it's been my dream since I was a kid and I am going to try again this time with the help of my doctor and hopefully a recruiter who is willing to help. Sorry for the long background info lol. I was just wondering if you were able to take your synthroid in basic or how that worked? I'm glad I found this thread and it has given me hope along with my doctor!
Thank you!

Benroliver, congratulations!

I just wanted to add to this repository of information, since it's probably the most relevant Hypothyroidism thread on any of the SOF boards at this point.

As mentioned, I had written to every recruiter in the state. I got all kinds of answers; some folks rejected me out of hand. To make a long story short, I submitted all my hypothyroidism-related paperwork (which meant getting new notes from doctors that treated me in the past. I asked them to specifically write "Condition is fully controlled by medication" in the note) -- it all got sent up to MEPS for a pre-screen ("can-we") - that came back within a matter of days and I was cleared to go to MEPS.

MEPS went by without a hitch. The doc really didn't seem all that interested in my hypothyroidism at all, just asked what medication I was taking and how I take it (synthyroid, 50mg, daily) -- I got a 111 on the PULHES and was cleared to enlist without requiring any sort of medical waiver.

So I think the take away is: If you have hypothyroidism that is controlled by medication, don't be dissuaded from trying to enlist. Most recruiters have no understanding whatsoever of what it is or how it might affect your enlistment. If anyone tells you it's an automatic disqualifier, don't believe them - it's clearly not. Find one that is willing to submit your paperwork (make sure you have enough paperwork to credibly document your condition) and don't spend too much time worrying about this stuff. From what I could tell the doc was more interested in my duck walk and whether I was circumcised than he was concerned about my hypothyroidism.
Hello sir, I am currently trying to get in as well with hypothyroidism. I was wondering how it went with your synthroid in basic? Did you take yours with you to basic or did they give it to you when you arrive? And also where did you keep it throughout? Any info would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you

@Alistair Abrew FYI, you just responded to two guys who haven't been on the site in over a month; one never returned after his original posts. You may or may not hear from them.

Ah ok thank you. Worth the shot though!
Hello sir, I am currently trying to get in as well with hypothyroidism. I was wondering how it went with your synthroid in basic? Did you take yours with you to basic or did they give it to you when you arrive? And also where did you keep it throughout? Any info would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you

Man I apologize for not seeing this. I have not been able to get to the site lately due to AIT, graduation, and PCSing so I apologize. The key for me at Fort Jackson was to visit he sick call at the reception battalion to get the Synthroid prescribed by a military physician. When I moved to my basic training company I showed them the bottle and told them what it was for and they let me hold onto it and be responsible for taking it.

Man I apologize for not seeing this. I have not been able to get to the site lately due to AIT, graduation, and PCSing so I apologize. The key for me at Fort Jackson was to visit he sick call at the reception battalion to get the Synthroid prescribed by a military physician. When I moved to my basic training company I showed them the bottle and told them what it was for and they let me hold onto it and be responsible for taking it.
No problem thanks for the response! I actually swore in September 14th! Found out my first recruiter never sent my med read and my new one sent it up to meps and got cleared no problem. The doctor cleared me since I had my two normal tests within six months which is what the regs say. Then I went back to my liaison who called up to the surgeon general because they didn’t think I should’ve been cleared. The lady at the surgeon general’s office said I’m good and to bring a 3 month supply of my synthroid to basic. (I’m joining the Air Force) So yeah it was pretty confusing but finally figured it out. Hopefully other people with hypothyroidism find this thread as there’s not really any info online and no one seems to know about it. Appreciate the response and congrats on your graduation!

So I figured I would update this again since I lurk here often and it has thousands of views. I started this thread just over 2 years ago as a civillian with a dream and never gave up. I am finally getting my shot at special operations this coming April and I couldn't be more proud. It has taken work, patience, and sacrifice. I would encourage anyone who reads this thread to do your homework and not give up. Read the regs, seek advice from people with experience, work hard, and be patient because nothing worth it is easy.

So I figured I would update this again since I lurk here often and it has thousands of views. I started this thread just over 2 years ago as a civillian with a dream and never gave up. I am finally getting my shot at special operations this coming April and I couldn't be more proud. It has taken work, patience, and sacrifice. I would encourage anyone who reads this thread to do your homework and not give up. Read the regs, seek advice from people with experience, work hard, and be patient because nothing worth it is easy.
Hello, I know it’s 2019 and you might not read this reply but if you do I just wanted to thank you for all the information regarding joining the military with a thyroid problem. I’m currently going to this process also, I want to join the military but I have gotten denied because I drink medication. My thyroid problem is controlled and i live a normal life. The only branch that gave me a little hope was a navy recruiter he told me to get my medical information and he would submit it to see if I got approved. I’m hoping I have your same luck and I can join.

@AiraM

Please do not post on the forum again until you have written and posted your required introduction post.

I know it's very late in the history of this post, but great story and glad it turned out well. No need to violate HIPAA, but if comfortable to post in open forum, I am curious what the etiology of the hypothyroidism was for the original poster. As a physician who has been involved in MEPS before (just once and prior to that once as an incoming soldier), I agree that I can't imagine a recruiter really having much insight in what I put in my notes/recs. Happy it turned out well for all here

I know it's very late in the history of this post, but great story and glad it turned out well. No need to violate HIPAA, but if comfortable to post in open forum, I am curious what the etiology of the hypothyroidism was for the original poster. As a physician who has been involved in MEPS before (just once and prior to that once as an incoming soldier), I agree that I can't imagine a recruiter really having much insight in what I put in my notes/recs. Happy it turned out well for all here

Sorry for the delay. The original guess was Hashimotos. The biggest concern for myself and the physicians has been stability on the medication.

Hi OP! Your thread has really given me hope!! I am trying to enlist in the Air Force, however I have a thyroid issue. My TSH is 5.37 which is high, but my T3 and T4 are within normal range. I found this per the Air Force regs (to join): "Current hypothyroidism unless asymptomatic and demonstrated euthyroid by normal thyroid stimulating hormone testing within the preceding 12 months." I don't know what this means exactly... but I am seeing a doctor on Oct 24th to go over my labs and to see if the doc will diagnose me with anything, and if I will need medication.

I was about to give up on trying to enlist but then I found your thread.

Fight. All of you...FIGHT. Maybe it works out, maybe it doesn't, but self-inflicted weakness isn't well received. You define your character, in uniform and out.

Back