Leading Millenials in the Military

To me they are the "never deployed, life in garrison, everything was harder back in the day folks". You probably don't fit the mold. There are many, many who do. Me and @amlove21 both came to a similar conclusion independently about guys like that.

@Muppet you missed my whole point. I said the people from the 80's had kids, those kids are the every kid gets a trophy kids. They are also the ones who don't understand vaccines, and think gluten gives them herpes...

All this is pretty much just me bullshitting though. I love to have these generational arguments because I think they are fucking stupid.

Some deployed. Grenada, Panama, and many other Central and South American countries. While not getting engaged, it wasn't always rainbows and unicorns in those cold ass German winters either. It wasn't all life in garrison. Also, I don't think it was harder but it was different.

To me they are the "never deployed, life in garrison, everything was harder back in the day folks". You probably don't fit the mold. There are many, many who do. Me and @amlove21 both came to a similar conclusion independently about guys like that.

@Muppet you missed my whole point. I said the people from the 80's had kids, those kids are the every kid gets a trophy kids. They are also the ones who don't understand vaccines, and think gluten gives them herpes...

All this is pretty much just me bullshitting though. I love to have these generational arguments because I think they are fucking stupid.
Agree with @TLDR20 on this, we have had a couple conversations about it. In the end, the arguments are just silly.

Speaking as a dude that has close contact with this age group day in day out- and I would argue the archetype and most alpha, aggressive millenials out there- there really aren't that many differences. The challenges aren't that great. The biggest problem comes from the "old guard" bitching about the "new kids" instead of helping those new guys and gals find their way.

I don't have much in common with guys that retired before 2001, and the guys going through school now aren't going to have a lot in common with me in 20 years. But I care about the mission and I care about the career field enough to get over the instagram posts and twitter rants and dumb ass social media involvement. With intrusive guidance, of course.

I love to have these generational arguments because I think they are fucking stupid.

Well yeah. My dad and his friends were all WW2 vets and they all thought the baby boomers were a bunch of fucking whiny pussies. Goddam right it's stupid.

My mistake bro. Mis-read...And agreed.

M.

All of these are subjective judgments, agreed. There are other criteria which mark generational boundaries as generalities that have been validated; to name one, the use of and understanding technology. There's a whole library of boring literature on how to teach, lead, and manage the different generations, especially since very few people go to one employer and stay there until retirement.

All of these are subjective judgments, agreed. There are other criteria which mark generational boundaries as generalities that have been validated; to name one, the use of and understanding technology. There's a whole library of boring literature on how to teach, lead, and manage the different generations, especially since very few people go to one employer and stay there until retirement.

Sure. That I get. That is researched, and based in objective data. Saying "these kids are lazy" and "these whiners all think they deserve a trophy" are not things that make a conversation productive. These are things that make whoever is being described defensive. Just look at my original post and the responses. A couple of "not me" responses. That is all these generalizations really garner in response.

Sure. That I get. That is researched, and based in objective data. Saying "these kids are lazy" and "these whiners all think they deserve a trophy" are not things that make a conversation productive. These are things that make whoever is being described defensive. Just look at my original post and the responses. A couple of "not me" responses. That is all these generalizations really garner in response.

No doubt; I totally agree. I am just trying to sway some thinking to the other end of the spectrum because some people do believe there is nothing but soft, subjective, behavior-based "definitions" to generations. I agree with your assessment.

Saying "these kids are lazy" and "these whiners all think they deserve a trophy" are not things that make a conversation productive.

Agreed. This is what I have been trying to convey in my posts, but TLDR20 said it better. As someone who has led soldiers in three decades, I didn't see a whole generation of lazy, whiners. There where individual lazy, whiners in the ranks in all three of those decades. There where always soldiers who wanted trophies, ie an award for doing their job. The only major differences I witnessed I believe where cause and effect of cultural change within the Army. I always considered the technological abilities of the younger generation a force multiplier. I agree that discussion and study of leadership is always productive, as long as it is not simply an argument.

Agree on the non-deployed aspect, but one reason was force structure. We were "deployed in-place" all over Europe and the Pacific.
The real ops tempo started in Aug 1990, and never let up.

Well you don't have to be biblical to understand you can't judge a person without self evaluation. I will doubt, my kids will be accused of being lazy, unproductive, or unmoral. Unless they are put into a generational pool...

Back