Mistakes

Wayoflife123

Unverified
Hey y’all, so I’m a 11B who’s in need of some help, But before that, let me tell you my story.
I just graduated RASP a couple of months ago, and was more than excited due to it being a dream of mine for a pretty long time now. But the weekend of the first week of airborne school, a couple of buddies and I decided to go down to Downtown Columbus to celebrate our accomplishment. Long story short, I was drinking and dancing with some girl at a bar, that girl turned out to be some guys girl and me and the guy ended up fighting which ended up with me getting arrested and being dropped from airborne. Unfortunately, I am now in a regular line unit.

I fully accept responsibility of my actions, and I’ve accepted that I cannot dwell on this mistake, but my only question is, when can I go back? Because I’ve been told varying amount of times from 2 years up to 6 months which is so like the army to not give you a clear cut answer. I’m already busting ass at my unit to prove to my chain of command that yes, I did fuck up, but I’m more than commited to come back. So in conclusion, I’m just curious on approximately how long will have to stay at my unit before I can drop a packet? And what steps do I need to take in order to get my leadership to sign off on me coming back?

Thank you.

"It's not that you were in a drunken bar fight, it's that you got caught in a drunken bar fight." my dad.

Your best bet is to call a regimental recruiter and hear it from the horses mouth. As with anything, there is always a way forward, but Ranger Regiment is pretty damn strict.

Good luck, and next time, don't get caught.

I’m planning on waiting till that 6 month mark since my separation and make that call diamondback, just so I don’t waste any more of the regiments time. Although thank you for the advice. I’m planning on keeping it to a one beer limit for now on, and staying away from Colombus skanks.

@cookie, well can’t say I’m not disappointed if it’ll take two years to get back, but regardless I don’t think my feelings will ever fade on climbing my way back to regiment. Thank you.

Hey y’all, so I’m a 11B who’s in need of some help, But before that, let me tell you my story.
I just graduated RASP a couple of months ago, and was more than excited due to it being a dream of mine for a pretty long time now. But the weekend of the first week of airborne school, a couple of buddies and I decided to go down to Downtown Columbus to celebrate our accomplishment. Long story short, I was drinking and dancing with some girl at a bar, that girl turned out to be some guys girl and me and the guy ended up fighting which ended up with me getting arrested and being dropped from airborne. Unfortunately, I am now in a regular line unit.

I fully accept responsibility of my actions, and I’ve accepted that I cannot dwell on this mistake, but my only question is, when can I go back? Because I’ve been told varying amount of times from 2 years up to 6 months which is so like the army to not give you a clear cut answer. I’m already busting ass at my unit to prove to my chain of command that yes, I did fuck up, but I’m more than commited to come back. So in conclusion, I’m just curious on approximately how long will have to stay at my unit before I can drop a packet? And what steps do I need to take in order to get my leadership to sign off on me coming back?

Thank you.
Get to Darby/Ranger School ASAP. Get your tab and as much schooling as you can, but GET YOUR TAB. Reapply ASAP, get to RASP and show up to live the dream. There isn’t really a minimum/maximum to go back, but going back with a packet that says you have your tab helps. Honestly I have nothing but sympathy man- it sucks, you got in a bad situation and got fucked and I legit have nothing but sympathy for you. Get back and crush it. You’ve done it once, do it with a tab and get to BATT!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
@DasBoot thank you man, I appreciate your sympathy, but I failed to uphold the prestige and honor of the Regiment, so I believe my punishment was fair. Neithertheless, I’ll just take this time to mature and really get my shit sorted. Then go to Ranger school, get my EIB, get deployed, anything on my resume to make me more than welcomed back because surrender is not a Ranger word.

(I sound very hooah in this, and I apologize just have very strong feelings on the matter right now)

Fact is you're going to wind up paying your RFS penance for the time being. If they kept you at Benning.....you've got a shot at it happening sooner than later. However.......if big Army pcs'd you to Bragg or somewhere else, more than likely it will be at least 24 months.

Regiment is going to want to see you establish a solid track record all the way around before they entertain the idea of bringing you back into the fold and giving you another shot.

To reiterate what DasBoot said, do everything you can between now and then. Max all your APFT's. Get your EIB. Occupy as many line positions as possible e.g. RTO, grenadier, AG, MG, TL, Get as many schools as possible and get your Tab.

Stay out of trouble, keep your nose clean, walk the straight and narrow and let all of that, do the speaking for you when you submit your packet back to the Magic Kingdom.

Good luck.

@Centermass will do, I didn’t get RFS’d according to the 1st Sgt I just got my orders dropped. I doubt that changes my situation at all. Anyway, yes this is a setback, but I’m just happy I have a chance to get another shot at it.

@Ooh-Rah I’ll be sure to come back, and give sit reps on my situation with each milestone I pass. Thank you all again, this community has been more than supportive and extremely informative.

Onward and Upward,

@Centermass will do, I didn’t get RFS’d according to the 1st Sgt I just got my orders dropped. I doubt that changes my situation at all. Anyway, yes this is a setback, but I’m just happy I have a chance to get another shot at it.

@Ooh-Rah I’ll be sure to come back, and give sit reps on my situation with each milestone I pass. Thank you all again, this community has been more than supportive and extremely informative.

Onward and Upward,
Actually that does help as you don’t have that RFS status on your packet and you don’t gave an NTR/DNR with a timeline. You might get back a whole lot quicker, honestly.

Really! Wow, that’s some bitchin news. Yeah what he said was if he was gonna RFS me he’d have to give me an article 15. So instead he just dropped the orders entirely, but I’m still gonna try to go to ranger school within in the next year because like y’all said it’ll speak or itself and much more than words.

My old squad leader spent some time in leg land after being in Battalion, I don't recall the specifics of what he did to get in trouble. Anyhow, he got his Ranger tab while assigned with the Stryker Brigade and made his way back to 2/75. He's since had an awesome career... spent some time with BN Recce, went to Key West to be an instructor at CDQC (Makes an appearance on Surviving the Cut), came back and ran a platoon at 1/75... now is a 1SG at 6th RTB.

Hopefully this provides a little motivation to keep your eye on the target.

thank you @275ANGER! @Hillclimb for your stories and support. I feel as though I have matured alot in the short time since my separation. Just seeing the way the guys at my current unit act and present themselves has given me a newfound appreciation for just how special the regiment is. I was spoiled by the highly motivated individuals I was surrounded by. My buddy who I went through RASP with is here too (he recycled but was short one push-up the second go around) and we both talk about we were on the highway to regiment, but took a wrong turn and took the dirt road back. I believe even though we both failed in different capacities this challenge will make us even better Rangers when we make it back. I’ll post again after I make it through PRC.

Hey y’all so there was a mix up on when the next PRC class was, so I actually started at the beginning on this month. My class has one more week of just administrative stuff to do (DTS, RPA, etc) and then I’ll be flying out this Friday for the July 1st class. Goes without saying that I’m incredibly excited to start, and what’s even better two buddies of mine are going at the same time. One at 3rd ID and another from Batt. Hoping we all get in the same company, but regardless I’m sure I’ll make some good friends during the suck. If I get time I’ll try to give a sitrep after each phase, but until then wish me luck.

Hey y’all so there was a mix up on when the next PRC class was, so I actually started at the beginning on this month. My class has one more week of just administrative stuff to do (DTS, RPA, etc) and then I’ll be flying out this Friday for the July 1st class. Goes without saying that I’m incredibly excited to start, and what’s even better two buddies of mine are going at the same time. One at 3rd ID and another from Batt. Hoping we all get in the same company, but regardless I’m sure I’ll make some good friends during the suck. If I get time I’ll try to give a sitrep after each phase, but until then wish me luck.

That's great news, man. Keep us posted. And for God's sake don't go out to any cheesy slopchutes and keep your pecker anchored.

Back