My Random TV Thread

I finally watched last episode of "True Detective," Season 4. Jodie Foster has to be humiliated to have participated in this nonsense.

I finally watched last episode of "True Detective," Season 4. Jodie Foster has to be humiliated to have participated in this nonsense.

I've gotten that the consensus here that it ended horribly, as in S8 GoT horrible.

My question now becomes, is it still worth watching the other 90% of the series? Was the writing and acting good up until that point? Good enough to warrant being let down in the final moments?

I know nothing will recreate the magic of S1. I thought S2 was decent and carried by some stellar acting. I never watched S3.

Two of them for you:

The Outsider, an adaptation of a Stephen King book of the same name. It's Stephen King so you expect some weirdness to the plot and that happens here. Regardless, this was a really good story (I didn't read the book) about a murder and a seemingly innocent man. Casting was solid, pace and presentation were solid, it has a good story, and kept me wanting to watch the next episode. 3.5-4 out of 5 DNA samples.
---
American Conspiracy: The Octopus Murders

What the fuck do I type here? It's a documentary about one investigative journalist following the footsteps of another investigative journalist who "committed suicide" while working a story. And boy what a story.

High level view, the "octopus" refers to a government/ shadow government conspiracy about who actually runs the world. I found the first 2 episodes compelling, the third was "meh", and the fourth was just a mess. You have all the hallmarks of a good conspiracy theory, and for what it is worth, I personally think all conspiracy theories have chunks of truth spread throughout.

Some highlights from the show:
- Reagan's election team in '80 paid the Iranian government to keep the hostages so Carter couldn't use their release in the election.
- OSS/ CIA ties throughout
- This all started because the DOJ stiffed a software company over a program sold to the DOJ
- Cocaine, weapons, and the Contras
- People who talked, but wouldn't talk, then later talked, but none of them were murdered
- Shady character after shady character

Anyway, there have to be shades of truth in this story, but damn...the messengers could be discredited by a jury of 5th graders.

2 out of 5 "I can't talk about that"

---
American Conspiracy: The Octopus Murders...
2 out of 5 "I can't talk about that"

Glad you saved me from that mess. As always, part of me wants to beleive...but I've seen tooooo much of the gov't doing things to give them enough credit to really pull anything secret off. We know Nancy Pelosi's stock trades, there are instagram accounts dedicated to it. We've seen Epstein's flight logs, but not the "client lists" yet though we've heard from the girls. That's about as secret squirrely as it gets.

Shōgun

👍🏽👍🏽

That is all

I’ve read the book 3-4 times over the years, listened to Ralph Lister’s brilliant audiobook performance just recently, and will watch Shogun when it comes on one of the networks we have…

I hope the series can convey some of the layers of thought among the Japanese characters since often what they were thinking was the exact opposite of what they were saying.

The previews look amazing.

Last edited:
I’ve read the book 3-4 times over the years, listened to Ralph Lister’s brilliant audiobook performance just recently, and will watch Shogun when it comes on one of the networks we have…

I hope the series can transpose some of the layers of thought among the Japanese characters since often what they were thinking was the exact opposite of what they were saying.

It's really well done. It started slow but last night I was pissed the episode ended. lol

I hope the series can convey some of the layers of thought among the Japanese characters since often what they were thinking was the exact opposite of what they were saying.

I read the book 5 or so years ago, and am finishing up the audiobook as a second read. It is a masterpiece. One of the best books I have read, and I truly recommend it to anyone. The difficulty I am finding with the show is that so much happens with internal dialogue.

“Christ Jesus”

Well hell…

Cote de Pablo and Michael Weatherly to Lead Unnamed NCIS Spinoff on Paramount+!

Paramount+ today announced a new series order for the next chapter in the NCIS franchise, starring Cote de Pablo and Michael Weatherly, who will reprise their roles as fan-favorite characters Ziva David and Tony DiNozzo.

“ When Tony’s security company is attacked, they must go on the run across Europe, try to figure out who is after them and maybe even learn to trust each other again so that they can finally have their unconventional happily ever after.”

Yeah, they'll do that when you dog the writers. For what it's worth though, she is 100% right in everything she says. Ziva began the series as a sexy, badass, Mossad officer - by the time she left she was a bitchy, whiny, pain in the ass who did nothing but lead Tony along and then push him away when he'd respond.

Cote de Pablo on leaving 'NCIS': Scripts weren't good enough for Ziva

I remember in 2016 when the site hated me for only posting what was online. :ROFLMAO:

I'm glad they are coming back....I always liked their dynamics. :thumbsup:

I've gotten that the consensus here that it ended horribly, as in S8 GoT horrible.

My question now becomes, is it still worth watching the other 90% of the series? Was the writing and acting good up until that point? Good enough to warrant being let down in the final moments?

I know nothing will recreate the magic of S1. I thought S2 was decent and carried by some stellar acting. I never watched S3.
Late to the game here.

If you liked the more character-driven and mystery-focused style of S1, then you'll like S3.

It's easily my second favorite of the series, and only because S1 happened to be first. Phenomenal acting and a tragically good story to boot.

I didn't even get through S4, mostly due to not having time, but 3-4 episodes in and I still wasn't feeling it.

Let us know what you think if you get around to S3 I may give the rest of S4 a stab in the meantime.

Back