National Guard SF and Army SF Difference?

Let me say this about that....I've had the privilege of commanding a Special Forces A Detachment and a Psychological Operations detachment, both sometime in the distant past. The missions are complimentary and several of the skill sets (language, area orientation) are similar, if not identical. But it's somewhat unusual for the personality types to be similar. In most cases the physical requirements are different. There was no enlisted pipeline for MOS 37F when I was in, but things have changed. Not everyone on my PSYOP detachment was airborne qualified, for example. Never the less, to use an analogy I borrowed from CSM William Edge, the handle is as much a part of the axe as the blade....

Last edited:
The best search function on the internet.

Found by clicking the magnifying glass icon.

ETA: Updated.

Last edited:
Not much to add on the SF stuff, or Psyop on the SOF side. But when they rolled with us, the Infantry, they normally either had a vehicle with a speaker or had it backpack mounted and played messages on our operations. They got shot at and when needed returned fire. The TPT that was assigned to my battalion was a reserve team out of Dallas TX, and were some of the best group of guys I got to work with. They had their missions that we would support with security and we also had our missions that they would support. Sometimes we worked for them and sometimes they worked for us. It worked well, and towards the later years of my time in the Army, I thought heavily about crossing over to 37F.

FYI I cannot recall their call sign right now, but something like Maverick 96 (maybe)? Those boys were some shooters and the O'l boy running their team was all about mixing it up. I've got a picture somewhere, but won't post it due to opsec. Great team, nothing but praises. And that coming from someone who spent time supporting a platoon of ST2 and an ODA during the same time frame. Those TPT boys I would roll out with any day of the week, not so much ST2 guys and let's just say I wasnt that fond of the ODA either (more of an ego issue than an operational), although they were way more tactically and technically proficient and their planning was spot on, way more than the ST2 plt.

Anyway, just giving an opinion from a grunts POV having worked with a few SOF units... Also keep in mind, this was like 16-17 years ago, I am sure a lot has changed since then.

345th PSYOP C0 (A) (Formally of Dallas, they moved the unit to Lewisville, TX...still Dallas metro area)

Your welcome ;-)

Glad you had a good experience with my former unit...we always wanted to be an asset to any unit we were attached to, and not be a burden.

Small world huh bubba? I know there are a couple of people on here who know the TPT Team daddy I'm talking about, was with the USMS on the civilian side and former USMC Infantry officer. Solid dude with a solid team...

ETA: sorry for the side tracking the thread. Just offer some outside opinion, I'll take it to PM.

Not much to add on the SF stuff, or Psyop on the SOF side. But when they rolled with us, the Infantry, they normally either had a vehicle with a speaker or had it backpack mounted and played messages on our operations. They got shot at and when needed returned fire. The TPT that was assigned to my battalion was a reserve team out of Dallas TX, and were some of the best group of guys I got to work with. They had their missions that we would support with security and we also had our missions that they would support. Sometimes we worked for them and sometimes they worked for us. It worked well, and towards the later years of my time in the Army, I thought heavily about crossing over to 37F.

FYI I cannot recall their call sign right now, but something like Maverick 96 (maybe)? Those boys were some shooters and the O'l boy running their team was all about mixing it up. I've got a picture somewhere, but won't post it due to opsec. Great team, nothing but praises. And that coming from someone who spent time supporting a platoon of ST2 and an ODA during the same time frame. Those TPT boys I would roll out with any day of the week, not so much ST2 guys and let's just say I wasnt that fond of the ODA either (more of an ego issue than an operational), although they were way more tactically and technically proficient and their planning was spot on, way more than the ST2 plt.

Anyway, just giving an opinion from a grunts POV having worked with a few SOF units... Also keep in mind, this was like 16-17 years ago, I am sure a lot has changed since then.
Once I’m fully vetted, I’ll tell you I actually commanded that company for awhile.

Small world huh bubba? I know there are a couple of people on here who know the TPT Team daddy I'm talking about, was with the USMS on the civilian side and former USMC Infantry officer. Solid dude with a solid team...

ETA: sorry for the side tracking the thread. Just offer some outside opinion, I'll take it to PM.
Small world fo-sho! His initials are MM. One of my guys. He used to get us into the Marshall center’s training facility for CQB and MOUT training.

Back