Prior Marine Shooting for 18x Path

Who is your buddy and why does he think that SF is on the Army's chopping block? (They're not). As far as the NG- Active Duty has always wanted to take resources from the Guard. Just look at the Apache debacle from a few years ago.

As far as getting stuck, that can be tdepending on the state and unit. I'd suggest joining a NG SF unit if SF is your goal. They will be more accommodating if going to SFAS is your goal.

You can enlist into a state you don't live in if you don't want to move, just know you'll have to travel to drill on your own dime.

Once you become an SF guy it is a lot easier to switch to Active Duty if that's your desire. That's what I did. If you want to know more about that subject you can search my various posts on it.

If you want to do NG 18xray, you need to enlist into a state that has a NG SF unit. Your best bet is to contact the SF recruiter for that state. I'm not sure if they let prior service enlist NG 18xray though.

From my experience in the NG SF recruiting process for 19th Group, Utah and California have 18x available. In fact, California has just begun to revamp its program. Not sure if that’s helpful, but I do believe NGSF is not on the proverbial chopping block based on that small info I’ve gathered from my direct contact with A/5/19th out of Los Alamitos and Utah.

Who is your buddy and why does he think that SF is on the Army's chopping block? (They're not). As far as the NG- Active Duty has always wanted to take resources from the Guard. Just look at the Apache debacle from a few years ago.

As far as getting stuck, that can be true depending on the state and unit. I'd suggest joining a NG SF unit if SF is your goal. They will be more accommodating if going to SFAS is your goal.

You can enlist into a state you don't live in if you don't want to move, just know you'll have to travel to drill on your own dime.

Once you become an SF guy it is a lot easier to switch to Active Duty if that's your desire. That's what I did. If you want to know more about that subject you can search my various posts on it.

If you want to do NG 18xray, you need to enlist into a state that has a NG SF unit. Your best bet is to contact the SF recruiter for that state. I'm not sure if they let prior service enlist NG 18xray though.

Thanks for clearing that up. My buddy was an officer in a Guard unit (I think it was Cav), here in Knoxville Tennessee. Like I said, I only know the Marine side of things and next to nothing about how the other services work. I originally tried to go in the regular Army as an 18x but I was told my medical package wouldn’t make it to MEPS.

I looked at National Guard to see if they could take me and I could still pursue my goal for SF. The first Guard recruiter told me no, and this other guy told me yes.

My plan is still to eventually go Active, but I want to be careful not to leave a Guard unit too early or on bad terms.

Thanks for the correction and I’ll definitely look up your other posts.

Found both a Army National Guard recruiter who is willing to help (first choice), and THEN a Marine Gunny who knows how to get off-contract Marines in the Reserves (IMA-det), and then drop a PSEP to go Active Duty. Sooooooo. That's my second choice if Army doesn't work out.

I would be very apprehensive to land yourself in the reserves, and then trying to PSEP into active duty. Im not saying its impossible, but historically its a foot drag for anyone working the process and very rare. 9/10 guys ive seen try this get stuck in the reserves. Especially now that the Marine Corps is downsizing again.

And i chuckled at the "SF is on the DoDs" chopping block.

Last edited:
I reached out to a Army Guard buddy who told me this
“The Guard, except for very special persons, is a black hole: once in, they’ll never complete a transfer. If you want to go active, just go ahead and skip the Guard. If you want Guard SF, move to AL or Utah; red tape resists out of state recruitment. If you want to do SF support, finding a reserve unit that’s attached to an active group might be more effective.

Just my thought. The National is very politically and state-finance charged.

Something else to consider too, both NG and SF are on the DoD’s chop block right now. “

Your buddy should write for the New York Times. His info is...entertaining.

I would be very apprehensive to land yourself in the reserves, and then trying to PSEP into active duty. Im not saying its impossible, but historically its a foot drag for anyone working the process and very rare. 9/10 guys ive seen try this get stuck in the reserves. Especially now that the Marine Corps is downsizing again.

And i chuckled at the "SF is on the DoDs" chopping block.

I get it man, but I don’t have any other options except waiting on a congressional inquiry to overturn my RE-3O - which probably won’t happen. I didn’t even have a shot at Reserve because I’ve been off contract. So any crack back in the Marines if the Army doesn’t work out is my only shot. Apparently this Gunny specializes in off contract accessions. Plus she was an Admin nerd before being a PS Recruiter. So I’m crossing my fingers. Oh, and they don’t go through MEPS 😀

Update: 20th Group recruiter said reach out once I enlist.

National Guard recruiter can get me in but I’d be lying. I don’t want to compromise my integrity so I’m not choosing that route.

Marine Reserve can take me without going through MEPS. Apparently they used to have the VA doctors do a physical and sign the paperwork. It’s legitimate and I wouldn’t have to withhold anything. It’s a dicey shot at pivoting off that to Active with a PSEP package...but that’s the fastest option.

The other option is wait 1-2 years off meds and put in my enlistment package again. At that time I would be 36 or 37 so I’m not sure that’s a good idea attempting SFAS at that age. @DZ - would I still be a good candidate at that age as an E5?

Update: 20th Group recruiter said reach out once I enlist.

National Guard recruiter can get me in but I’d be lying. I don’t want to compromise my integrity so I’m not choosing that route.

Marine Reserve can take me without going through MEPS. Apparently they used to have the VA doctors do a physical and sign the paperwork. It’s legitimate and I wouldn’t have to withhold anything. It’s a dicey shot at pivoting off that to Active with a PSEP package...but that’s the fastest option.

The other option is wait 1-2 years off meds and put in my enlistment package again. At that time I would be 36 or 37 so I’m not sure that’s a good idea attempting SFAS at that age. @DZ - would I still be a good candidate at that age as an E5?

I don't know the age limitations for SFAS, look them up to make sure you wouldn't be too old. Age will definitely work against you, but it's all up to you. You will be assessed on your performance, maturity, team work, etc. If you perform your age isn't going to matter.

My answer in short- no age won't matter, what matters is your preparation and physical fitness. It will just be harder to get to that point as an older dude. How bad do you want it?

I don't know the age limitations for SFAS, look them up to make sure you wouldn't be too old. Age will definitely work against you, but it's all up to you. You will be assessed on your performance, maturity, team work, etc. If you perform your age isn't going to matter.

My answer in short- no age won't matter, what matters is your preparation and physical fitness. It will just be harder to get to that point as an older dude. How bad do you want it?

Right now it's 36 for SFAS, and 35 for Army. So far it looks like this is still good.

I know your question is more or less rhetorical, but I'll answer anyway. This is something that has been on my mind since I got out. Every job I have taken since leaving has reinforced to me how bad I want this. Every time I compete with a young stud or other Veterans I realize that I can do this. Every time I push myself to the limit I realize that I was made for this. So yeah, this is something I want with every fiber of my being. I've done some mentally and physically challenging courses in the military that have given me the right "Never Quit" mentality. I think I just needed another shot. That's all I've been fighting for and that's all I'm looking for: A chance to fight. When I joined I was a nobody: 142lbs, fired from my job and no college aspirations. I made it through bootcamp against all odds and went on to take on much more physically and mentally demanding courses. Now that I know what I'm capable of I want to go all the way. I just can't sit here on the sidelines anymore.

Sounds like you have the motivation. If you know you want it that bad, wait the 1-2 years to get into the Guard, and don't injure yourself during that time.

While you wait I would keep probing recruiters or any other contacts you have to get in earlier. You'd be surprised what can get waivered.

I get it man, but I don’t have any other options except waiting on a congressional inquiry to overturn my RE-3O - which probably won’t happen. I didn’t even have a shot at Reserve because I’ve been off contract. So any crack back in the Marines if the Army doesn’t work out is my only shot. Apparently this Gunny specializes in off contract accessions. Plus she was an Admin nerd before being a PS Recruiter. So I’m crossing my fingers. Oh, and they don’t go through MEPS 😀

Maybe im not understanding. Your aspirations are to get back in are to go SOF?

So if 18x/NG SF doesnt work out, Marine Corps backdoor into your old MOS is what youre going for?

So if 18x/NG SF doesnt work out, Marine Corps backdoor into your old MOS is what youre going for?

Yes. If SF falls through then the Marine Corps is my second option because of my RE code, and TIS. If I can somehow get to MARSOC as a CSO then I’ll try that.

Yes. If SF falls through then the Marine Corps is my second option because of my RE code, and TIS. If I can somehow get to MARSOC as a CSO then I’ll try that.

You wont. There is zero chance due to service limitations(TIG/TIS/age). If you want to roll dice and skip down that yellow brick road, you can.

Im not trying to be a dick, but they have a target audience/career progression built. And the target audience is E4s and junior E5s at their 3.5 year mark

Just to me if i were in your shoes, and i really wanted to do SOF as much as youre saying you do, i wouldnt backdoor into the Marine Corps. Id take 1-2 years, write Senators, recruiting district commanders, SORB, start preparing age waivers, wait that medical period, and Id get into SOF.

I know that sounds discouraging and like an unnecessary road block and time, but i watched someone do that for 3 recruiting offices for a moral/medical waiver that shot down 3x over 4 years, and hes in the 18D pipeline now. And hes probably happy he didnt settle for a GP job.

Just my .02

Last edited:
Just for reference as far as the NG Rep 63 program (their 18X), those contracts aren’t available to prior service, or at least they weren’t when I was attempting to get one in late 2018. You can attend an SFRE with an SF battalion in the NG, you just have to find one local to you and reach out to their people. Hell, 20th group is doing a kick ass job with outreach for recruiting via instagram and other social media sources. I even know people who attended an SFRE while in the IRR and not on any type of drilling contract for the Guard/Reserves.

As for whoever told you that SF is “on the DoD’s chopping block,” find some better people to get information from because at best that’s laughable, at worst they’re being disingenuous to get you for their numbers.

Just my .02 cents.

Haha, well I feel like an idiot now. I don’t have any evidence or experience to back up what I assumed.

I reached out to a Army Guard buddy who told me this
“The Guard, except for very special persons, is a black hole: once in, they’ll never complete a transfer. If you want to go active, just go ahead and skip the Guard. If you want Guard SF, move to AL or Utah; red tape resists out of state recruitment. If you want to do SF support, finding a reserve unit that’s attached to an active group might be more effective.

Just my thought. The National is very politically and state-finance charged.

Something else to consider too, both NG and SF are on the DoD’s chop block right now. “

So that brings up a ton of questions.

@AWP I know you know a lot about the Guard and it’s mysterious ways. Is my buddy right? I’m in Tennessee. What are my chances of trying to transfer to 20th Group from living in Tennessee? I asked my recruiter specifically for the Guard equivalent of an 18x contract but he told me he couldn’t do that. Is that true? What are my options?

Not sure if my input helps at all but I was following your posts as I'm attempting to work my over to SFAS with the 20th. I'm a prior Marine, 36l7 yrs old and just enlisted about a year and a half ago with the TN Guard, currently in 4/278th HHT. Our unit in Knoxville is the home base for all of us in the ACR in TN. In my personal experience (which was much like yours) I got hooked up with a recruiter in Nashville who put me in. He really was able to help me a great deal with getting back in after being out of service since 2011. From what I've found so far it's going to be impossible to get my unit to sign off on me going to SFAS, so I just emailed a recruiter directly with the 20th SFG in Alabama (SFC Anderson) and he recommended I ETS and then reach back out to them once I do to enlist into a support role with the purpose of attending SFAS. I enlisted as a combat medic but GT score was a couple points too low (has to be 110 for SF anyway) so they allowed me to enlist under a different MOS with the intention of reclassing to medic, a year and a half later I haven't even been able to retake the asvab let alone attend school for either MOS so it's looking like I'm going to have to wait it out. If I had known then I would have enlisted into a support role to begin with but wasn't aware it was even an option until after the fact. Not sure if sharing my story will help you at all but thought I'd share in the off chance it does. Best of luck to you brother.

Not sure if my input helps at all but I was following your posts as I'm attempting to work my over to SFAS with the 20th. I'm a prior Marine, 36l7 yrs old and just enlisted about a year and a half ago with the TN Guard, currently in 4/278th HHT. Our unit in Knoxville is the home base for all of us in the ACR in TN. In my personal experience (which was much like yours) I got hooked up with a recruiter in Nashville who put me in. He really was able to help me a great deal with getting back in after being out of service since 2011. From what I've found so far it's going to be impossible to get my unit to sign off on me going to SFAS, so I just emailed a recruiter directly with the 20th SFG in Alabama (SFC Anderson) and he recommended I ETS and then reach back out to them once I do to enlist into a support role with the purpose of attending SFAS. I enlisted as a combat medic but GT score was a couple points too low (has to be 110 for SF anyway) so they allowed me to enlist under a different MOS with the intention of reclassing to medic, a year and a half later I haven't even been able to retake the asvab let alone attend school for either MOS so it's looking like I'm going to have to wait it out. If I had known then I would have enlisted into a support role to begin with but wasn't aware it was even an option until after the fact. Not sure if sharing my story will help you at all but thought I'd share in the off chance it does. Best of luck to you brother.

Thanks man, yea it looks like you spoke to the same recruiter at 20th that I did. He told me to reach out to him once I enlisted. I’ll need to wait at least a year to build my medical waiver package for MEPS. How are they waiving your age for SFAS? I’ll probably be about 35 or 36 if I make it to SFRE and then SFAS.

Thanks man, yea it looks like you spoke to the same recruiter at 20th that I did. He told me to reach out to him once I enlisted. I’ll need to wait at least a year to build my medical waiver package for MEPS. How are they waiving your age for SFAS? I’ll probably be about 35 or 36 if I make it to SFRE and then SFAS.

I had previously emailed another recruiter as well as Anderson, I shared my details as far as my prior time in service, MOS, my age etc and neither of them said anything about my age. I'd have to go back and find the posts but age was my #1 question also, I figured I had aged out already, but there have been a few posts floating around in here where some current or prior SF guys have indicated age isn't really a factor? (Maybe someone who knows better than I will chime in) To my understanding though there's not a specific age cutoff (if there is I haven't found it and haven't seen anyone say there was) as long as one can perform and obviously does well at the SFRE they would be allowed their shot at attending SFAS? Obviously, I don't have any firsthand experience, and we both know there's no guarantee, this has just been my understanding after researching a lot both in this site as well as outside this site. Additionally, I this it was an SSG Kamber who returned my first email with the 20th, and he forwarded me the packet to have my command sign and submit as well as gave me the date for the next SFRE for me to come attend (I'm just not where I need to be physically yet).

I forgot to mention, the recruiters did tell me I would if my command wouldn't allow me to attend then I would have to ITS to an Alabama unit if still in, but then SFC Anderson recommended for me to ETS and then reach back out when I do since I'm a year and a half into a 3 year contract already and technically not even classified under an MOS yet. I'll end up being 37 almost 38 by that time so I'm hoping age isn't an issue.

Back