The Facts and the Danger Behind the BLM Movement

Then why start off by saying they are free?
That was a little disingenuous.

It is free. It is free for me, and all the other residents of "high income areas". It only runs to places with high tax bases. The only bad part of town it runs to is the hospital, and that is to take workers from places like where I live to the hospital.

My point is that services like these are stupid. Provide a free bus to a bunch of rich white people who will never take it (despite its free cost, ease of use, and great schedule), while making poor(mostly black) people pay for a bus they need.

It is free. It is free for me, and all the other residents of "high income areas". It only runs to places with high tax bases. The only bad part of town it runs to is the hospital, and that is to take workers from places like where I live to the hospital.

My point is that services like these are stupid. Provide a free bus to a bunch of rich white people who will never take it (despite its free cost, ease of use, and great schedule), while making poor(mostly black) people pay for a bus they need.

Gee, the bus ride seeems tempting if the schedule times work out. How good is parking @ BST?

At the U of Virginia in Charlottesville, parking has been a huge problem for decades. The in town tow truck company is always busy. Some of the paid parking lots are so remote that the UVA provided bus is a must, unless you are in training for marathons. The parking garages near the Medical Center is free for patients and visitors. Employee parking is around $100/month. During football home games, the fans are treated to free parking in the hospital garage. The paid for employee slots are cut deeply in favor of game parking.

Gee, the bus ride seeems tempting if the schedule times work out. How good is parking @ BST?

At the U of Virginia in Charlottesville, parking has been a huge problem for decades. The in town tow truck company is always busy. Some of the paid parking lots are so remote that the UVA provided bus is a must, unless you are in training for marathons. The parking garages near the Medical Center is free for patients and visitors. Employee parking is around $100/month. During football home games, the fans are treated to free parking in the hospital garage. The paid for employee slots are cut deeply in favor of game parking.

U Maryland runs another free bus for employees that stops 4 blocks from me. I'll be taking that.

treated-poorly.png

Thought this meme was appropriate in the spirit and all......

...and this is the "danger" that I have been afraid of:

Citing beating of officer, Chicago's top cop says police are 'second-guessing themselves'

Chicago’s top cop said Thursday one of his officers was seriously beaten at an accident scene because the national focus on police shootings has caused officers to second-guess themselves.

Superintendent Eddie Johnson said the patrol officer told him she did not use her gun to defend herself for fear of a backlash. "She didn’t want her family or the department to go through the scrutiny the next day on national news," he said.

The injured officer, a 17-year Chicago police veteran, got into a struggle with a man who allegedly was high on PCP after she stopped at a crash scene in the Austin community on the West Side on Wednesday morning.

The suspect smashed the officer's face into the pavement repeatedly until she was unconscious, police said.

“As I was at the hospital last night, visiting with her, she looked at me and said she thought she was gonna die, and she knew that she should shoot this guy, but she chose not to because she didn’t want her family or the department to go through the scrutiny the next day on national news,” Johnson said while attending a public ceremony honoring heroic officers and firefighters.

An article written by a former Army officer and FBI special agent who spent some time downrange with the Task Force:
Retired FBI Executive to Black Lives Matter: Let’s Meet in the Middle of Some “Hard Truths”

link

My reach out is through the written words on this page. I trust you’ll read them and ingest them and though we may differ on a number of points contained therein, my earnest hope is that you sense where I am coming from and help me to understand the same about you.

black and white small.jpg

Last edited:
Weird. I went back in and looked at the first link again and I don't get why it doesn't work. Added a second link. Thanks for the heads up.

Is BLM still doing stuff? Seems like it fizzled out for the most part...

There seem to have been less police shootings recently, maybe with the rise of body cameras and increased attention to the issues there has been a decrease. Maybe that was the point of BLM. Maybe.

The point of BLM is political power for BLM. That's the case with all of these types of organizations, across the political spectrum. Now that the election is over their value has diminished greatly, but they're still out there, struggling for relevance. Like with their "outrage" over the Pepsi commercial.

The point of BLM is political power for BLM. That's the case with all of these types of organizations, across the political spectrum. Now that the election is over their value has diminished greatly, but they're still out there, struggling for relevance. Like with their "outrage" over the Pepsi commercial.

I hadn't heard much about that. At least from BLM folks. I think they were pretty much irrelevant during the election.

IF their point was bringing attention to police shootings, particularly of unarmed blacks, I think they accomplished their point. There have been less high profile ones recently. While their national prominence was also associated with the increase in body camera use may not be causative, it probably had an effect.

If their point is political relevance I think that time has passed them by.

Back