The Facts and the Danger Behind the BLM Movement

Could it be an example of how culture alters perception. How for some communities the same problems affect them differently. Drug use and the WOD being indicators of variations in culture?

Looks like some crazy stuff (basically stop & frisk) has been happening in Baltimore and crime is still off the charts. I believe the frisking was to find concealed guns, which are insanely rampant in the city despite illegal as hell (avg Joe cannot get CCW). Now I think crime will get worse due to the Furguson Effect.

'Lock Up All The Black Hoodies': DOJ Report Details Abuses By Baltimore Police

Way more than just stop and frisk is fucked up in that report @lindy....

Agree. I do wonder/assume policing has gone to extreme measures because traditional methods in high crime areas is not working so supervisors adapted other techniques in order to try to reduce crime?

Do police need extra powers in areas where crime is too high and residents cannot help police themselves?

I do not think that cops are on a power trip and are inherently cruel. I do think they see the worst in humanity and get pretty tired of seeing repeat offenders doing same shit.

Agree. I do wonder/assume policing has gone to extreme measures because traditional methods in high crime areas is not working so supervisors adapted other techniques in order to try to reduce crime?

Do police need extra powers in areas where crime is too high and residents cannot help police themselves?

I do not think that cops are on a power trip and are inherently cruel. I do think they see the worst in humanity and get pretty tired of seeing repeat offenders doing same shit.
Yeah. I don't know man. I live in Baltimore now. In the city, but a world away from the bad parts of town in East and West Baltimore. I have only driven through the bad parts on accident, and I can say with confidence, there is not a lot going on in those pets of town. No places to buy food, very little in terms of work.

There are some things that may not be racially motivated but certainly seem that way. As a simple example, there is a free public transit system in the wealthy(white) parts of town, called the circulator. Totally free. While if you want to take public transport in the shitty parts, you are paying for it. Why is that? I don't need a free bus to get to work, I'll take it though. Those people in W.Baltimore need the bus to get to jobs, yet it costs them every month. Seems pretty stupid to me.

I don't think all cops are bad, as I have said before I think they have an impossible job, but creating a template in which the only choice is "black male"? That is pretty absurd.

Yeah. I don't know man. I live in Baltimore now. In the city, but a world away from the bad parts of town in East and West Baltimore. I have only driven through the bad parts on accident, and I can say with confidence, there is not a lot going on in those pets of town. No places to buy food, very little in terms of work.

There are some things that may not be racially motivated but certainly seem that way. As a simple example, there is a free public transit system in the wealthy(white) parts of town, called the circulator. Totally free. While if you want to take public transport in the shitty parts, you are paying for it. Why is that? I don't need a free bus to get to work, I'll take it though. Those people in W.Baltimore need the bus to get to jobs, yet it costs them every month. Seems pretty stupid to me.

I don't think all cops are bad, as I have said before I think they have an impossible job, but creating a template in which the only choice is "black male"? That is pretty absurd.

WHAT????

Let's grab some food & drinks!

Across the bridge on the Eastern Shore but work just south of there.:D We're in the city quite often.

You're just in time for Ravens' football!

I live in Federal Hill. Less than a mile from the stadium. I have been flying from Martin State over the Eastern Shore quite a bit.

I agree with the public transport but what's the history behind it? How many drivers are willing to drive that area? How many vehicles have been damaged in the past?

Same goes for any business, including food suppliers. What sort of incentives do they have to open in those areas and employ locals when they are 1 robbery, riot, act of vandalism away from losing money.

To the people living in the areas it may seem like a race issue since it's probably predominantly a single race in the area. But when they don't stand up for themselves against the thugs ruining things, how can they expect anyone else to help?

I agree with the public transport but what's the history behind it? How many drivers are willing to drive that area? How many vehicles have been damaged in the past?

Same goes for any business, including food suppliers. What sort of incentives do they have to open in those areas and employ locals when they are 1 robbery, riot, act of vandalism away from losing money.

To the people living in the areas it may seem like a race issue since it's probably predominantly a single race in the area. But when they don't stand up for themselves against the thugs ruining things, how can they expect anyone else to help?

The buses run dude, they are a city service. They are just free where the need is the least.
Stand up against thugs? Against guys who have no qualms killing you? There is a scene in the Wire, which obviously is fiction, but it points out a very realistic issue.

That security guard gets murdered later in the episode.

Sure it isn't race only, it also has to do with poverty.

The buses run dude, they are a city service. They are just free where the need is the least.
Stand up against thugs? Against guys who have no qualms killing you? There is a scene in the Wire, which obviously is fiction, but it points out a very realistic issue.

That security guard gets murdered later in the episode.

Sure it isn't race only, it also has to do with poverty.

I know they run but the city is obviously not getting tax dollars from those areas to pay for the services or to pay for damage, service disruptions. Someone has to pay for it. I agree it shouldn't be at cost to the rider if the rest of the city is free but are you willing to pay a major increase in taxes or pay so others can ride free? You may but I doubt the majority will.

Oh I understand the threat of standing up to them. But what other options are there? No one would stand for a mass roundup and incarceration. That's what it's going to take. You won't rehabilitate all of them and then they'll just want to go back and do the same shit.

The scene from The Wire @TLDR20 posted plays out in North Minneapolis everyday. The people who live there know they are powerless to stand up to the gangs there, to the point where there are multiple recent unsolved murder cases because the people in the neighborhood are terrified to talk to the police. If I took a few minutes to Google, I could find cases where witnesses, or potential witnesses, have been murdered.

To top it off, police presence has dropped, as have arrests. What is frustrating for those officers is that the same people who camp outside the precinct calling them murderers, Uncle Toms, etcs, are now the same people complaining that the police are not doing enough to keep their neighborhoods safe.

Minneapolis police officers face accusations of 'slowdown'

There was a time I was very judgmental about such things, but as I get older I realize how fortunate I was to win the gene pool/family lottery. Born into an average white suburban family and never really wanted for anything. Cannot say I would be where I was today if I was born a crack-baby with no idea who my dad was, and had to watch my mom give blowjobs to strange dudes just to keep from getting evicted.

I know they run but the city is obviously not getting tax dollars from those areas to pay for the services or to pay for damage, service disruptions. Someone has to pay for it. I agree it shouldn't be at cost to the rider if the rest of the city is free but are you willing to pay a major increase in taxes or pay so others can ride free? You may but I doubt the majority will.

Oh I understand the threat of standing up to them. But what other options are there? No one would stand for a mass roundup and incarceration. That's what it's going to take. You won't rehabilitate all of them and then they'll just want to go back and do the same shit.

To the first part. We live in one city. Taxes from all parts help all parts. The county is a different story. Our taxes fund all the buses, the free one should go to those that it would most benefit, not the other way around. There would be no increase in tax money, we already are paying for both a free bus, and subsidizing the pay bus.

To the first part. We live in one city. Taxes from all parts help all parts. The county is a different story. Our taxes fund all the buses, the free one should go to those that it would most benefit, not the other way around. There would be no increase in tax money, we already are paying for both a free bus, and subsidizing the pay bus.

Concur. It seems to be upside down. Perhaps they are just trying to get more revenue, and are using the busses for income, rather that a service to the community.

The Circulator was intended to bring shoppers to the Inner Harbor and used to be privately sponsored by businesses but now is funded by taxes on the parking garages.

Charm City Circulator running $11.6M deficit

The criminal elements are getting their free rides on the dirt bikes and 4-wheelers that are stolen from the suburbs.

The inner city buses sound pretty f'd up so why don't locals try to self-police their community?

New to MTA bus commuting, shocked by the poor service | Baltimore Brew

Last edited:
The Circulator was intended to bring shoppers to the Inner Harbor and used to be privately sponsored by businesses but now is funded by taxes on the parking garages.

Charm City Circulator running $11.6M deficit

The criminal elements are getting their free rides on the dirt bikes and 4-wheelers that are stolen from the suburbs.

I know how it is funded. I just think that it should be used better.

Back