Thoughts on the Army E-Sports Team?

RoastedToast

Armament Dawg
Verified Military
For those of you on the Army side I'm interested in your opinions on the whole idea about creating an esports team that is essentially being used as a recruiting mechanism.

Isn't any kind of sports team, e or otherwise, basically just a recruiting tool?
I mean I guess you are right. I think in the wrong eyes it could turn a lot of people away with the whole "they are a bunch of geeks and aren't tough, why should I join" mentality. Oh well, there are two sides to every idea I guess...

I mean I guess you are right. I think in the wrong eyes it could turn a lot of people away with the whole "they are a bunch of geeks and aren't tough, why should I join" mentality. Oh well, there are two sides to every idea I guess...

I would wager most people who think that probably wouldn't be the type to watch e sports.

I mean, I'm a giant geek but even I can't watch it. It's like golf; fine to play but shit to watch.

Isn't any kind of sports team, e or otherwise, basically just a recruiting tool?

That's the argument, but there are a LOT of these things out there, and they count against our force cap. Being in a unit that was just directed to consider the impact of getting dropped to 65% manning, I tend to be skeptical and resentful of this type of thing, especially since I'm unaware of any studies that show X activity creates Y recruiting effect. Why not slap a National Guard sticker on someone's shirt like they do to NASCAR cars and call it done? Why does it have to be Soldiers?

That's the argument, but there are a LOT of these things out there, and they count against our force cap. Being in a unit that was just directed to consider the impact of getting dropped to 65% manning, I tend to be skeptical and resentful of this type of thing, especially since I'm unaware of any studies that show X activity creates Y recruiting effect. Why not slap a National Guard sticker on someone's shirt like they do to NASCAR cars and call it done? Why does it have to be Soldiers?

I think that's an equal argument. You could just set up a recruiting booth outside these events too and save on time, money and manpower and possibly have a more direct effect.

Well I'll say it wasn't any poster or any other gay shit that influenced me to join. It was nothing more than my mother crying and asking me where to buy a gas mask, after 9/11...

Well I'll say it wasn't any poster or any other gay shit that influenced me to join. It was nothing more than my mother crying and asking me where to buy a gas mask, after 9/11...

It wasn't the gay shit that influenced you; you found that in the Infantry.

I imagine Army already has great connections into the “tough guy/gal” demographic. I suspect they may be looking at recruiting technically inclined folks who may not be physically gifted for high demand/low density fields like cyber, SIGINT, and electronic warfare.

My experience.
I remember at one point the offices at a certain MCB used to connect over Basewide network and have a LAN party Half Life1 MP with , talk about morale, we'd shit talk with everyone. Eventually that got shut down because, "I'm not happy, until you're unhappy." Nothing better than the Gunny and LT cursing you out for trip mine frag.

Army B's back in 2005 hosted many LAN parties, "at the drop of a dime," we'd call quits 2hrs prior to formation. Continued even after I left Germany 2006.

Overall, I'm on the fence on this one.
  1. real life rage quitting, happens alot, getting a dose of real-life Call of Duty and not being able to reset and redo. Nothing like watching your wrestling buddy say "Shits getting too real" while rockets are coming down, while he's fished out 3 mangled cigarettes and lights only 1 while the other 2 just hang out.
  2. Albeit America's Army"game" came out... it was different. In a way AA was a good recruiting conversation ice breaker for indecisive individuals that didn't have a clue what to do with their life. May have put a few junior Audie Murphy's in. If it did, and it was you then mission accomplished.
  3. In a way neither good nor bad, Army can do just about anything, only caveat the team represents the Army as a whole (naked pyramids and whatnot) and I don't see why the Army has to stamp their name on a team of otherwise nondeployable might-as-well-be civy gamers in uniforms.
Not sure if I'm missing the point, but I understand extra visibility gets manpower, but will it get quality manpower?

Back