Thoughts on the Army E-Sports Team?

I imagine Army already has great connections into the “tough guy/gal” demographic. I suspect they may be looking at recruiting technically inclined folks who may not be physically gifted for high demand/low density fields like cyber, SIGINT, and electronic warfare.

Ya know, I would have happily donated a testicle to stay in and reclass... but noooooo

The Marine Corps has (had?) a wrestling team that falls under Recruiting Command. The people they attracted were wrestlers who wanted to be on the wrestling team. Very much a self-licking ice cream cone. The only interaction I had with them was with people who joined the Corps so they could be on the wrestling team, but didn't make the cut and were soured on the Marines because of it.

I mean I guess you are right. I think in the wrong eyes it could turn a lot of people away with the whole "they are a bunch of geeks and aren't tough, why should I join" mentality. Oh well, there are two sides to every idea I guess...

I think we need the best nerds our country has, but not to be playing games. We need the nerds who can defend networks, write code, and hack. Most gamers, in broad terms, can't. We already have events that invite people to hack the Government to target and recruit from.

Building a game, such as America's Army, is a recruitment tool. Paying people to play games is in my opinion not something that is a recruitment tool.

I imagine Army already has great connections into the “tough guy/gal” demographic. I suspect they may be looking at recruiting technically inclined folks who may not be physically gifted for high demand/low density fields like cyber, SIGINT, and electronic warfare.

Want to hate this so much...can’t cuz it’s true. :(

@BloodStripe , for Cyber jobs, many of the skilled candidates aren’t “clearable” and we cannot compete with private sector pay. The result is we attract the JV folks.

Want to hate this so much...can’t cuz it’s true. :(

@BloodStripe , for Cyber jobs, many of the skilled candidates aren’t “clearable” and we cannot compete with private sector pay. The result is we attract the JV folks.

Tracking. Which is why I'm okay changing rules for high impact jobs, such as cyber. Thats a conversation for a different thread, though.

I think we need the best nerds our country has, but not to be playing games. We need the nerds who can defend networks, write code, and hack. Most gamers, in broad terms, can't. We already have events that invite people to hack the Government to target and recruit from.

Building a game, such as America's Army, is a recruitment tool. Paying people to play games is in my opinion not something that is a recruitment tool.

So... As one of the people that was in the center of development on America's Army(AA) and privy to a bunch of things. AA was, I kid you not, the Army's most successful recruiting campaign of all time. It brought a bigger impact to recruiting over the main 5 years than the 20 year "Be All You Can Be" campaign. Aside from its other uses (ever wonder how the Army built the virtual shoot houses?) it hit the exact demographic the Army is looking for. (Faces in the poster are blacked out and nametags blurred as several of them are still active).

Gaming has changed a lot since then. Now you have a huge audience watching the efforts of a small number of highly skilled gamers as a regular event. It's not unusual for a gamer to spend twice the time watching others as they do playing. And they are still in the same demographic aside from a few holdouts like me that are out of recruiting age. Games like Call of Duty and Battlefield that are eSports capable and which are, as far as they can be, like the real world are a very viable recruiting tool. Add in targeted advertising that is available in streaming venues like twitch and there's an opportunity to get directly in the faces of potential recruits. Associated tools like Discord give a chance for the recruiters to directly interact with interested people while the event is happening.

Whether I think it will be successful or not, I think it is certainly worth the attempt.

So... As one of the people that was in the center of development on America's Army(AA) and privy to a bunch of things.

My old Company Commander, who went on to be the 20th Group commander, probably worked with you. Randy Zeegers.

---

Break, break...who said the gov't shutdown is a bad thing? It brought @lindy and @0699 back to the forum. :D

I had great fun with that game so thanks for developing it. I think that was around the time the SF bit came out.

People used to get upset because I'd be putting down suppressing fire with the M249...that's camping O_o

I had great fun with that game so thanks for developing it. I think that was around the time the SF bit came out.

People used to get upset because I'd be putting down suppressing fire with the M249...that's camping O_o

I wasn't on the actual dev team. I was technical lead for SCI who was the hosting company. I did server side messaging and data analytics for AA:O and AA:SF along with many other top franchises (CoD, BF, Far Cry, UT2K3, etc.)

My favorite was running the M24 on Mountain Pass. I had a screenshot one time where I got 4 people with one bullet right at the start of the round. They were screaming hacker at me...

Now back to our regularly scheduled thread

Break, break...who said the gov't shutdown is a bad thing? It brought @lindy and @0699 back to the forum. :D

I’m DOD so still “working”; I’m in a staff job and hate it with all my soul. Trying to get back in the field since we haven’t had an international incident in quite a while.

“Drunk American found passed out on President of Rhodesia’s couch...again”

Back