First Post

Hello, everyone. I have been reading posts on these forums for about the past six months now and feel I am ready to make my first post in this section because I am moving on to the next stage of my life. This might be pretty long, so bear with me.

A little bit about myself
I guess I will start with giving an intro on who I am. I am 18 years old and have lived in central Texas my whole life, but I will be moving to the University of Arkansas for the next four years to earn a degree in Criminal Justice. Growing up I was raised to be humble and take pride in my work, my parents and older brother taught me to work hard for the things that I have and to not take them for granted. I have had a job since I was 15 in order to buy myself my first and second trucks. (I now have a LBZ duramax for any diesel guys on here) I have always been one to stay pretty active, I played lacrosse and ran cross country from 5th to 8th grade until I did my first cross country mountain bike race. I realized I had some potential in cycling so I gave up lacrosse and took up bike racing. I raced on the state level my freshman to junior years in high school and was training to go to nationals when a back injury took me out. My senior year I worked with the local racing team teaching new kids how to progress in the mountain biking world while I let my injury heal. I am all squared away with my back injury and have just recently shifted my focus onto progressing my PT in terms of running and bodyweight workouts. I enjoy spending my free time outdoors hiking, camping, mountain biking, and have recently picked up sport climbing.

Why I want to join the Military
Growing up I have always been fascinated with the military. I have relatives who served in the past and my older brother is now an Aviation Officer in the Army. Joining after college seems like the only logical thing for me to do, I want to be a part of something bigger than myself and desire to make a difference. I feel I would not be satisfied with my life if I didn't give back and serve others. I want to gain a different perspective because I feel that our society today generally takes what we have in this country for granted.

What do I want to do in the service?
I have always known I wanted to serve I just didn't know what I wanted to do until I turned 16. I was out on a training ride with my team one day when we were heading back to the trailhead and we came across a runner who went into cardiac arrest. Having no medical training I did not know what to do to help this man. It was the worst feeling knowing he needed help but not being able to do anything that could help him in that immediate situation. Since that day, being raised a Christian, I felt that I had been called to helping others and want to be able to save lives. So I did my research and found ParaRescue. I believe in their mission and what they do. Until about a week ago I was dead set on going for the pipeline after college. About a week ago I read amlove’s thread “what’s your backup plan.” Reading this really put into perspective how difficult these SOF selections are. While I have never been one to just quit something because it is hard, I thought about all the variables at play. I always told myself that I would train up for it over my four years in college and just never quit. But it isn't always that simple. I stepped back and realized I may not even be able to get cleared medically due to my ears. As a kid I had lots of ear infections and had to get surgery on them. I have always had trouble with them in the water. Recently when I went scuba diving in florida I ruptured one of my eardrums in a situation that I think most people wouldn't have. If anyone has info on the medical requirements regarding the ears and pressurization to get cleared for the pipeline I would greatly appreciate it.
Over the past two weeks I have been exploring other options in the service that aren't as water/dive intensive. I came across the story of Technical Sergeant Robert Gutierrez and how he saved multiple lives when he was operating in a JTAC role directing CAS. I looked into the TACP/JTAC job and pipeline and have been trying to learn as much about it as possible. From what I understand until you go to the STS side you don't live in the pool like the PJs and CCTs do which is a plus to me due to my situation. This job is very appealing to me because of the small brotherhood, being kind of a wildcard in between the Army and the Air Force, and the potential to go to many schools and to progress to a STS unit if you apply yourself and work hard. While this Job isn't saving lives the way PJs do, I feel like I would be able to make a big difference by protecting the guys on the ground I would potentially be with by calling in CAS. Since doing this research I have becoming very interested in this career field and only want to learn more.

PT
As of right now I am working on getting my PT up to the TACP schoolhouse standards and plan to be far past them when I enlist after college. I am 5’10” and about 145#s. I need to put on weight to get more durable for rucking but my leanness has been helpful with my runs. I did a 6:17 mile with two weeks of light training. I can do 14 deadhang pull ups, and have not tested my timed push and sit ups yet. I am from from where I want and need to be but I have time to get there.

Apologies for this intro being so long, I wanted to get it right the first time.

I hope to learn and sponge information from this site in the future.

Thank you to all who make this website possible, G.

Good morning everyone,

I am training to go US Army SF. The reason that this is my goal is because, as many, this has always been a dream of mine. Something in my gut that I have always felt a need to do. I sat here for a minute trying to pinpoint an exact reason, but there are many, it's just an overall need. I read a lot of the posts in here and honestly that early post by @Tropicana98 explained it best. I'm sure many have said similar things and meant it, but it's how I feel, question my personal statement if you wish, but it's what I feel I need to do. I have been studying to become a civil engineer, but after halfway finishing my degree and working in field, I don't have a heart in it. One thing my mom has always told me is to find that dream job, something that will make me happy so I don't wake up with regrets thirty years down the line. Engineering, at least for right now, is not it. Granted, I do love the field, but not taking the chance to fulfill the goal of becoming a member of the Army SF community is something I know I will regret down the line. Therefore, I am busting my ass to be as prepared as I possibly can be. Currently, I am working through the THOR SFAS prep program. Being a former Olympic weightlifter and power lifter, I have the strength, but my endurance is where I am focusing most of my effort (because holy hell do I suck wind while running), but this is my issue and not what I am looking for a mentor to help with, although if someone wishes to be a partner in my runs and rucks, it is always appreciated. From what I have found there is a plethora of information on the internet on how best to prepare, but having someone beside you that has the same goals or has reached the goals you wish to obtain is an invaluable asset.

I know that based on the numbers my chances are slim, from statistics I have seen on this forum as well as others, there is less than a 10% chance of passing SFAS going in as an 18x, but someone has to make up that 10%.

That being said, I have been debating op40 and again pulling from Tropicana's post and what a former Professor once told me, the true way to find someone who knows the subject is to ask them to explain it and if they can do it simply then they know it; and if I haven't experienced it how can I teach it. So that may change my course.

If there is someone in the New Jersey/New York area who wishes to push me past my limits and crush me, I promise to do the same. If you wish to just stay in contact to track mutual progress or share stories on how somethings just suck, that's fine with me too.

There are so many more things I can rant on about, but hopefully that gives enough of an insight to my mindset.

Thanks for reading,

Matt

Hey guys, thanks for serving, as I have not had that privilege, yet. I am 31 years young and ready to serve. I have a Graduate degree focused in leadership and have some skills I've gained through life experience and training that I hope to offer in service for my country. I'm not sure if I am the best fit for SF, but I am willing to give it all to find out. I want to join NGSF and hope to be an 18D, but I am wiling to serve wherever needed. I understand the process for the NGSF tryout and the long road that follows.

Some of the steps I have taken thus far include: speaking to several recruiters, an SF family member, SF friends, and most importantly my wife. Physically, I have dropped 12 pounds in 20 days, running and cross-training. I still have a long way to go but I am aiming for a perfect on my PT test. I have also been studying for the ASVAB.

I have decided not to go the Rep63 route, rather enlist in the NG first, and go for the next group’s tryout in March. The recruiter is ready to send me to MEPS, but I need to sift through all the hype and promises and get some concrete facts on paper. I also need to decide my MOS, leaning towards 68w - I am already and EMT.

I am grateful for this forum, and the quite professionals still willing to help their teams by instructions and aspiring those who wish to serve.

Thank you.

I wasn't that kid growing up that knew exactly where I would end up. I had ideas about what I wanted to do when I "grew up" but nothing really stuck. I wasn't a very social kid growing up. I kept a small circle leading up to high school. I've played sports my whole life but I was always the smallest kid on the field. But the one thing I had that many kids at my age didn't was heart. I worked my ass off during my high school years of playing football and being on the powerlifting team. I hit puberty and turned out to be a good athlete. I earned a division II football scholarship. To make a long story short: I played for two years, had a rough break up with "the one", and decided that there was something more out there for me. I wasn't very fond of "jocks" because of the lack of intelligence (in most cases). My family always told me that the army would be perfect for me. I always had the inner desire to help people and thought that joining the army would give me a great opportunity to do so. I qualified for any mos but I knew that the infantry would be best for me (at least physically). I went though infantry 11B OSUT and was offered an 18x contract. I had a lump in my throat when the liaison offered me the contract because I knew that this is what I had been looking for my whole life. I have always wanted to be surrounded by people with relentless drive and heart. I graduated OSUT as my platoon honor graduate and am currently in Airborne hold-over. I am exhilarated to kick off the start of my 18x contract. I have been infatuated scrolling through the many threads and post this site has to offer. I'm very happy to have found a place with SOF members that are willing to help guide an SF baby in the right direction. I look forward to asking some of you guys questions about your experiences and the pipeline in general. Thank you for taking your time to read this.

Good morning,

Throughout the process of researching, training, and enlisting, I've been confronted with the question of why I want to be a member of the SOF community many times. To be absolutely honest, I don't exactly know. I've had an innate feeling of 'not belonging' since I was in grade school. Call it being a black sheep or a misfit, if you will. Something was always missing. My mode of thinking, my wants in life, my opinions just never seemed to match my contemporary's. My standard in life, my standards for myself, were viewed as 'outside' because they were important to me. Then I found a community in the military. When I was a midshipman, training with a previously enlisted Navy EOD officer candidate and other midshipmen who wanted to serve in Navy SpecWar, I found a feeling of belonging. I found men of a higher caliber. These were men who I knew, or at minimum felt or hoped, I could count on. And I knew they could count on me. It isn't just about being 'the best' for me. Of course, that's part of it. I want to be the best human being I can be. I want to be dangerous, but honorable, and with integrity. But it's more than that. I have a deep, inexplicable desire to be a quiet professional who shares the love of brothers whose bond is forged by adversity. I want that challenge. I want to 'fail'. I want to learn my limits and raise them, conquer them.

This may all sound cheesy or cliche but it's an honest answer.

Good evening Gentlemen,

My specific SOF goal is to become an Airborne Ranger. I've felt a call to serve since I was a young boy and upon diligent research into the SOF communities I have come to find Ranger Regiment drawing me in the most. Despite holding a full time job, I began training to achieve a level of fitness worthy of seeking an 11x Option 40 contract recently and gave myself a mock APFT yesterday. I scored a 168; a total failure in my eyes, but a starting place nonetheless. I look forward to scoring 300's regularly before I approach a recruiter. I feel that hard work over the course of the next months will put me in a position to achieve my goal.

I have yet to take a RPFT, but I look to do so in two weeks time. I recently re-located to an area near one of the Ranger Battalions and would be humbled and incredibly appreciative to be able to work with a mentor as I take on this journey.

Thank you all for your time,

Dub

For my first post, I would like to say thank you to the ShadowSpear community again for allowing me to participate in this forum as a whole as I begin to learn a little bit more about SOF.

I will keep it to the point as I have been on this forum for the past two days reading and researching some of the other threads pertaining to what I would like to have the opportunity to do if given the chance. A little bit about myself, I first wanted to join the military after doing Navy ROTC in high school. I am now 24 years old and in the Air Force Reserves. I wanted to join the military earlier back in 2011 after I graduated school as a Marine, but was given the opportunity to play sports in school. For the first year and a half of my college life I played soccer at a Junior College in the upper region of my state. I then transferred to a 4 year institution to finish playing and finish up my degree. I was not able to make the team but the school itself is a good school and has great degree options. I joined the Air Force back in June of 2014 to help out with school and to go ahead and get my foot in the door for the military. Everything happened in its time and I am happy for the position I am in. Currently I am deployed (first deployment) but will be heading home soon it has been an experience and I have learned a lot.

My current AFSC is Air Transportation as an Aerial Porter so I know aspiring to be SOF is a big stretch from that. I've always known that there is more to be done out in the world and that more can be done. From helping a stranger to being there for those closest to you. Whether its being on a sports team or a special operations team being on the team is the big ticket item that matters most to me. Working hard with like minded men that want to get the job done and bring home the win, whatever that win is. I will be honest, until I researched it and read up on it I was ignorant to the fact that the Air Force even had special operations. I found this information out in basic training and since then have had no other thoughts than wanting to join. As mentioned before my interest is in Pararescue due to the nature of the guys that join and what they live by. "The Things We Do That Others May Live" is a humbling ethos and takes a person of humility to make that kind of sacrifice. I am grateful to have read some of the stories of the Admin and Staff on here as well as the introduction threads for the mentoring resources for those wanting to be SOF. I thank you for the resources as I will continue to read and apply and if any question should still formulate I will not hesitate to ask.

With Pararescue as my target I have started to take steps towards getting ready for the physicality of this venture. There were a lot of post concerning school and joining any of the SOF for the military and what I got out of all of them was to go ahead and finish school while I am in. I have two years remaining in which I will train and test myself concerning the PAST so that I will be fit enough to pass above the minimum standard for each event. I started swimming before I went on deployment as well as during when time provided. Moderate weight lifting and calisthenics have not been a problem but I know I can push myself a little harder in that area. The same can be said for running. I do not have any numbers as to where I am currently but I can do a pre test for myself and get the numbers on that.

If I have missed anything I apologize and make any corrections needed. I am open to any and all feed back and would like to know how I should proceed concerning finding a recruiter in my area to go ahead and start communicating my plans. Thank you again for this opportunity to learn and soak up all the knowledge from those who have gone before myself and others who aspire to be where you already are.

For my first post, I would like to say thank you to the ShadowSpear community again for allowing me to participate in this forum as a whole as I begin to learn a little bit more about SOF.
...rest of post...
J, good post. I know it seems like an insurmountable task- it's not. Start making one decision- one ACTUAL decision- each day to move out towards your goal. Workout when you don't want to, give time to develop yourself and study your given aspirations, do mobility, something. Every day.

Don't meet the minimums, go for the maximums. Always. You won't always get there; that's fine. I don't want perfect candidates. I want candidates that are trying to be perfect.

J, good post. I know it seems like an insurmountable task- it's not. Start making one decision- one ACTUAL decision- each day to move out towards your goal. Workout when you don't want to, give time to develop yourself and study your given aspirations, do mobility, something. Every day.

Don't meet the minimums, go for the maximums. Always. You won't always get there; that's fine. I don't want perfect candidates. I want candidates that are trying to be perfect.
@amlove21 I can't tell you enough how much this encourages me especially coming from a PJ. I will do my due diligence to give it my best and my all as well as continuing to research and plan.

Hello everyone,
I am currently 18 years old living in Pennsylvania and am currently a senior in high school. I am a very athletic person...I played football and baseball and most importantly of all I wrestle (lets not forget this is the realest sport out there xD), so all I am trying to say is I am in decent shape, and I know I still have great stamina. On 20170504 I enlisted in the U.S. Army DEP as an 11x. A couple months later I acquired an Option 40. During the summer I was not able to workout much due to me having my own lawn care business (surprisingly very successful lol), but now that school is starting next week I am getting together with my recruiter and his old Ranger buddy and we are coming up with a training program specifically for me. So I can "prepare" myself as much as you possibly can for RASP, even tho I know there is no such thing of completely preparing yourself for a selection course.

Now that you have my background I can explain to you exactly why I wanted to get an Option 40 so damn bad. Mostly it all started when I became really good friends with a certain kid in my town, his dad was a Vietnam Green Beret, who went SERE instructor, and also a Sniper school instructor for a year. At this point I had already decided I was going to join the Army but I knew in the back of my mind that the conventional Army just wasn't enough for me. After hearing multiple stories about his dad and what the Beret's did, I was hooked. I started doing mad research on all the Army's SOF units. After a while I came across the 75th Rangers and I fell in love with everything they were about. Honestly, and I know this might sound like I'm some sort of bandwagoner or something, but the term "Even SEALs have to call 911 sometimes" is I think what completely hooked me. I started reading up on the 75th literally anytime I had a chance to use my phone. After I read what their training was like and what sort of requirements you had to meet, I knew this was a challenge I would ABSOLUTELY LOVE to accept. I guess that's the wrestler in me, any good wrestler loves a challenge. I began speaking to a recruiter as a Junior and before my Junior year ended he had me enlisted with the promise that since I was his first Junior to enlist in the DEP I would get the first 11x Option 40 that he got. Sure as shit about 2 months after I enlisted, I got it. That's when I knew it was game time. The challenge was accepted, and I will do everything in my power to prepare myself as so. All I know is that I have about 10 months to prepare myself as much as possible and then everything after that is to just not give up. I know this is something I can tackle, I've never given up on anything in my life, and I don't plan to start now. I am going to use this forum as much as possible to my advantage and I hope to get into a mentor group to get even greater help. This forum is so great and I thank every single one of you who help people like me on the daily.

Good afternoon gentlemen,

Wanted to post here and give a quick breakdown on who I am, what I'm doing now, where I'm trying to go, and why I want to join SOF.

My name is Wyat and I'm from central Texas. Went to college at Texas A&M and graduated in 2015. Following graduation I enlisted in the U.S. Coast Guard with the intention of becoming a helicopter rescue swimmer. Served six months at my first unit as a non-rate (person who hasn't completed A school) and attended A school with big expectations and a ton of enthusiasm. However, my "die before I quit" attitude wasn't enough to make up for physical and mental weaknesses that I didn't know I had. I failed out after completing eight weeks of the 24 week selection program. Upon failing out, I was assigned to an active rescue swimmer shop at Air Station Elizabeth City where I performed the job of an E-4 rescue swimmer, minus the search and rescue. This was mostly sewing patches on flight suits and performing basic, supervised maintenance on survival equipment. The guys were top notch but the job was not something I wanted to do as a career. After continuing to train with the swimmers for three months at the shop, I started at A school again. However, my attitude had changed and I DOR'd four weeks in and was sent out to the fleet. As a side note, if anyone has questions about being a USCG rescue swimmer or the training pipeline, I'd be happy to answer them with the limited information I have from personal experience.

I'm currently on a medium endurance cutter stationed in St. Petersburg, Florida. My job is primarily sanding rust and painting over what I sanded. It's underwhelming but I get to work with really fun and engaging guys and we make the best of it. I've also had the opportunity to get a number of qualifications, which I've done as quickly as possible.

Failing out of A school has caused me to become more honest with myself. I've learned to not assume you have all the answers. To be realistic about what you're trying to do. To know where your own limitations are. But it's also caused me to have a large amount of self doubt. I doubt whether I'm capable of achieving great, difficult things. Whether I can make it through something that requires my best at all times. And I don't know whether I can get that fire in my belly back.

I want to become a member of the SOF community because I want that fire again. I want to know that I can overcome huge obstacles. That I can accomplish something because I gave it everything I had. And because I want to be around people who feel the same way.

I still have about two years left on my Coast Guard contract. During this time I want to keep achieving small victories that will lead toward my big goal, which is to become a member of the 75th Ranger Regiment.

Thank you for reading and I hope this post has been in the style and example desired for this thread.

Respectfully,
Wyat

I've sat here and wondered about how I would word my answer to the question presented for the thread, for a little bit now and while I don't think it's the best out of what I've seen so far reading through. It's still the best answer I can come up with so here it goes.

Like most people here, I wanted to be in the military when I was a kid that or a chef, or a police officer, hell I thought I could be a doctor at the same time. Obviously I didn't know what I really wanted when I was a kid, but looking back there is one common thread among those careers and it's helping people. Whether it be protecting, caring for, or serving a good meal to someone it all correlated with helping people. As I was growing up I always tended to be the quiet kid who was always reading, I would speak up when I felt it was needed but I always preferred to listen and guide or rather teach instead of direct or dominate. I'd stick up for the little guy or try and help others with problems they were going through as much as I could. I'd hate watching someone suffer through something and not be able to do anything about it.

Fast forward to when I'm 14, I'm still the same just an aloof to cool for school teenager who thinks he knows better than his parents. I grow distant to my parents as most do at that age and on July 16th 2009 my father died of a massive heart attack. It devastated me I don't think I ate food for almost a week. My mom was just as distraught probably even more so. I became lost and had no motivation for anything, while I still was the rock for my friends and mom I stopped really caring what I did. To shorten a long phase in my life I fucked up quite a bit and made some decisions that I would do differently if I had a second chance.

But, it is what it is, the decisions we make in life help form who we are and help teach others so they can avoid the same mistakes we made. I slowly climbed out of what I believe was depression and started to be a productive member of society, while I still was lost and had no idea what I wanted to do with my life I was finally not just going through the motions.

Fast forward to this year and I find out my uncle has stage 4 cancer, always trying to be the rock for people and putting others first I'd always put on a strong face and be there for everyone else before I'd deal with my own problems. But seeing him like that, let me just say you never fully appreciate how terrible of a disease cancer can be until you see a strong 6'1" 220lb grown man turn into nothing but skin and bones. I'm not going to lie, it rocked me. Hard. On our way back I cried silently thinking to myself I'd give my life for that man so that he could be healthy again.

Sitting in the back seat I finally realized what I wanted to do and something that I've always done is help people whether it be big or small if you were my friend I considered you family and if you were what I considered family I would move heaven and earth for you. So I decided I want to join the Navy and enlist as a Corpsman, with hopefully being attached to a Marine unit. I want that brotherhood and that camaraderie and be their for my guys when no one else is able to.

Eventually I would like to try and become a SARC or an IDC but I'm not disillusioned about becoming either I understand the long road before me, I'm aware of the attrition rates and I know how difficult both are to become and if I fail them so be it. I'll learn from it and build upon it and hopefully try again and if that doesn't work then so be it. No matter what happens I'll serve proudly and try to be the best damn Corpsman I can be.

Like I said it's a long journey before me beset with obstacles and challenges at every turn, but I'm ready for it.

Out of respect for anyone reading I'll try to keep this as direct as possible

I'm 28, college grad, EMT, youth counselor, pursuing masters in healthcare, wanting to go into pararescue.
Spoke to a recruiter a while back but military acceptance didn't seem likely based off a charge from years ago that was ultimately dismissed.
I took it on the chin as best I could- got more serious about getting into master's degree program, started competing in jiu jitsu, kept working out.
Recruiter called me some months ago saying there's now a waiver he thinks he can use to get me in.
Because I'd require a waiver, I want my PAST scores to be as competitive as possible before I start the process.
Recent best scores, not adhering to the PAST time format:
500y swim: 8:55
1.5 mile run: 9:30 (I should hit 9:00 when I re-test myself in a few days)
Pullups: 26
Sit ups: ~80
Pushups: ~80

I'm using the Stew Smith 6 week 1.5 mile run program and his PJ fitness prep program. I'll start his PAST prep program next week when I finish the run program. I've taken minutes off my swim and run times in the past couple months just putting the work in as its stated.
Once I can consistently hit an 8:30 swim and 9 minute run, I'll contact the recruiter and really begin the process while continuing to train.

My step father was a Marine lawyer so I thought I was pretty sick of the military thing by the time I was about 16, despite it having been my dream as a young kid. I remember always feeling like I was on trial, but I didn't make it easier on myself by being the hard headed rebellious type (at the time). As I've matured I realize that the itch is still in there deep down. When I came across pararescue it just seemed like the perfect thing that incorporates everything I want to do and be. I've read every article and listened to every podcast I can find. I don't want to live feeling like there's something more inside me that I could have given.

Hopefully I didn't miss anything. Thank you to anyone who bothered to read.

Hey everyone, I'm interested in talking about mentorship with an Army Special Forces soldier.

I'm 23, prior service USMC soft-skill. I got out of the Marines alittle over one year ago, and I just signed an 18x Contract for the Army.

I've been running triathlons for about 2 years, and I'm fairly confident with my ability to run. Especially distance, however, I've been having some problems with overuse injuries on my right leg lately. Probably due to my long interval work that I've been doing.
I've been training with a mixture of Stew Smith workouts and some of "The Horsemen" stuff that I got from TLDR20.

I'm a pretty motivated dude. I ship for OSUT in 4 and a half weeks.

I've been training very hard, though these damned "IT Band and the works" overuse injuries have been slowing me down considerably. I've been supplementing with more cycling and swimming and crossfit.
I'm not desperate for information or looking for someone to cradle me and tell me I'll be okay if I believe in myself.
I just figure that surrounding myself with other motivated people in a "mentorship circle" is probably the best thing for any SF Candidate.

I look forward to hearing from anybody who thinks I'm worth their time.

EDIT:
Suppose I should include a reason for joining the SF community.
I don't really have any heart-tugging stories or miracle dreams from God that tell me to join The Teams.
I've just always wanted to serve at the highest capacity that I can. I'm a corn-fed American patriot and I want to get in the fight and soldier with the best of 'em.

Hello to all,
I have been a member of this Forum for three days now. I have spent two of those three days mulling over this thread and what I wanted to say and how I wanted to say it. For starters where I am now; I am a 22 year old college student from Houston. I am a Marine reservist, an Amtracker, and have been so for nearly four years now. I grew up a runt without drive nor any ambition to speak of. I was smart but my grades were pitiful because of this, and this trend showed itself in all areas of my life. Unlike most of you I did not have any aspiration to join the military growing up, I thought the military was awesome, but I never saw it as something that I could do.

Towards the end of my senior year in High school I had been contemplating what I wanted to do with my life when a friend told me about the Marine Corps and about the reserve. Our conversation was brief but it stirred me.
"Why had I never considered this as an option for me? Why did it have to come from someone else?"
These thoughts ate away at me and I would eventually be filled with the resolve to join just to prove to myself that I could. I told myself that I would join the reserves as a goal and come home and achieve my bachelors. I didn't care what I did in the Marine Corps so long as I was in as soon as possible. Initially I was so weak I couldn't even attempt a pull up. I weighed 135 at my current height of 5'11". I was frustrated at the realization of just how weak I was and had been my entire life, so I did something about it. I slayed myself for seven months and then for another 7 while in the pipeline. For the first time I felt like I was in an environment where I fit in, I loved the suck of it all.

I came home and started college. I also continued to train my body in things such as calisthenics, rock climbing, swimming, running, and ninja warrior. I was assigned to 4th Tracks, C company and I became knowledgeable at my job and well respected by both my leadership and my peers. After nearly four years of this I feel that I am a different person entirely. The Corps taught me what it was to really WANT something, and to SLAVE and FIGHT to achieve it.

After long contemplation I decided that I want a change in my military career, here is why. I feel my potential is wasted in the tracker community currently. I have no chance at a deployment, and our units budget is so small we are rarely afforded the chance to go to any schools. Recently I have also felt a strong need to do more for the Marine Corps and for myself, I want to give back to the community that helped me so much. I feel I can serve better If I push myself. With this in mind I plan on Lat moving over to 4th Recon out in San Antonio.

In terms of preparation, I have a 285+ PFT and a 300 CFT. I am an excellent swimmer (Also been training for MCIWS for the past 7 months and will be screened in October, Finally). I have already begun ravaging this site and all other's for every iota of information I can get to prepare myself for BRPC and BRC. I am looking for a mentorship mainly to surround myself with like-minded individuals to give me as much of an edge as I can get. Also because I would not have become the Trakcer I am today had it not been for the fantastic mentorship I had been blessed with, so I understand it's importance.

In regards to whether or not I think I deserve Recon I think of it simply. I do not deserve Recon until I become Recon, so I will work HARD so that I can become worthy of such a title. Although I will never quit, I understand that it is important to always have a plan B, in which case I would plan on finishing my contract and attempting again with another branch, most likely PJ.

This was a much longer post then I anticipated and I apologize. I have never had to put these thoughts into words before. Thank you for your time, and for any guidance you might give

Best,

Eli

Last edited:
WARNING: This will probably be too long :rolleyes: , so I will put why I want to join an SOF team first.

My reason for wanting to be part of a SOF family is firstly I want a group of brothers that I can trust with my life and they can trust me with theirs. Secondly, I am driven to never repeat previous mistakes I have already made (being a shit bag and a quitter). Last, I want to make an impact on the future of this great country and I feel that a SOF career is the way to do that a fit my other reasons.

Hey guys, I decided to make a post of my own not only to share more insight into my journey but to also have some self-talk in order to remember why I'm on this path. Lets begin. I'm 20 years old, currently I have just finished an associates degree in general studies. Primarily to prove to myself I could finish something. Sounds strange coming from someone who wants to pursue a career in SOF. Considering you may hear stories of all these guys that have never quit anything. Well I took a different path and I won't change a thing. I had nothing I really wanted in life other than to just be comfortable. I was a shit bag to the extreme.

Throughout middle school and half of my high school career I was a chubby 5'2-5'5 kid that cared more about the way people were thinking when they looked at me than he cared about his family. I tried everything to change myself to appeal to what I saw everyone else doing. I was in deep shit headed for zero success and possibly prison. I tried wrestling, football, and baseball to get in shape and become better. I gave up extremely fast. During my sophomore year I found lacrosse and started to play on the JV team. It was my sport, to this day I honestly believe lacrosse saved my future. Don't get me wrong I was still a shit bag and had very little drive in anything other than lacrosse. Fast foward to the end of my high school career. I had matured a little, still very self-centered and a big ego. But, I had earned a spot on a very good Junior College lacrosse team in upstate NY. I pursued that with the intent to transfer to SU (Syracuse University) after my 2 years there. Long story short, I began to deteriorate at a very rapid rate. I started using drugs, drinking, and other really dumb activities. After the first semester I had failed all my classes. I made the decision to come home because somehow the very small part of my conscious had the maturity to realize that I needed to run as far away from that environment as possible, so I did. I started to think back to my days before high school when I had huge pride for anyone in the military serving their country. I thought that it would be the right path for me to toughen up, learn invaluable skills, and just have more time to mature. I started to work out more and more until one day I was running and I couldn't figure out why I never had the drive to push past when my mind told me to stop. Turns out I was WEAK and had absolutely no self-confidence.

I started to search for ways quick ways to harden my mind but to no avail. I stumbled across various podcasts and interviews with David Goggins and I found some strength inside myself to keep pushing to find self-confidence and inner peace. Still something was missing. I continued to run aiming for the goal of making my greatest fear (yes, running terrified me) into my greatest strength. Through the process of trying to become better at running long distances I found that my self control was little to none. Focusing and over anticipating the moment ahead of me instead of focusing on the moment I was in held me back. I again searched for ways to cope with that until I found a saying "Focus on your 3-foot box". This works extremely well for me to control my emotions, breathing, etc. I stopped worrying about the things I couldn't control and started focusing all my effort on what I could control. My mind, my effort, and my attitude.

I live in a very big military town, my mom dated Navy officers, Submariners, Marines, and a SWCC guy while I have lived here. I always looked up to those guys. About when I was 10 or 11 years old I started to play airsoft, like every kid in my school. When I was 11 the house for sale next door was sold to a military couple with new born twins. My mom, brother and I quickly became good friends with them. A few months later my neighbor came home with 2 garbage bags full of kit for my brother and I to use while at airsoft. This was around the end of 2008, possibly early 2009. I had just shown up in full AOR1 and LBT kit, completely unaware of the situation. Once I learned more about the camo and the units authorized to wear it I was very intrigued. I had a mental note that kept popping up throughout the rest of my "pre-adult" years that his job was what I wanted to do. I had always wanted to be a Navy SEAL, get to do all of the cool guy stuff, get the chicks, all the cool gear, etc. Once I started to realize that my life was in a downward spiral and that I needed to grow the fuck up I began with that goal (being a Navy Seal). Within the past 2 months I stumbled upon Army Special Forces. Instantly I knew I had found something that gave me drive. The main objectives of UW and FID sounded like my style (I love coaching and thinking outside the norm).

I think that people connect and build successful relationships through a common language, food, and interaction with animals. Two of those things I excel in (food and animals). Language has been a rough patch for me personally because I previously thought I might just be bad at learning them. Well mindset is everything and I have overcome that mistake.

If no one reads this or thinks its too much then so be it. Atleast it will be a reminder to myself to keep going. I might not be the smartest, most physically gifted, or perfect at eveything I have done. But, I have discovered the will power to fight and work to attempt at my best rendition of "perfection".

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.
Time will pass anyways don't let the time it takes to reach your goal discourage you from pursuing it.

Just a note because I keep seeing the phrase, "No one is reading" or "If you got this far..." etc.

This is not the thread to challenge you, to ask you to clarify things, or to provide mentorship or the like. As a matter of fact, we (the staff) and we (the members) all pretty much understand this thread (and some of the other SOF Mentorship areas) are pretty hands off.

This thread is a place to start your long journey towards a SOF job. Part of being a SOF professional is accountability and the ability to make good on the things that come out of your mouth. I see this thread as that first step. Tell us your story here, lay down some "I can do these" numbers for your PT test, tell us about your big dreams and the reasoning behind those aspirations. As long as you do it professionally and with respect to those you're speaking to, you actually won't get a ton of immediate feedback; that doesn't mean you're shouting off a cliff, it just means that the men and women you aspire to be are more interested in hearing your information, taking it in, and referring back to it later when you need course correction or a metaphorical kick in your teeth. We are reading, trust me. Because we have members here that have made it through their pipelines and they started here and we pride ourselves on that.

I like that this thread is full of idealism, big dreams and a general desire to do something bigger than yourself. Keep at it.

One of the many traits or experiences every SOF member shares is at one time, we were in your shoes and we said some crazy shit that sounded like, "I want to be a SEAL/SF Soldier/PJ/TACP/Ranger/SWCC/MARSOC/CA/whatever else. I know it sounds impossible- but it might not be for me."

Saying it out loud or even better to a group of people that will not only hold you accountable but actually give a shit about your success is an important step.

/soapbox

Hey everyone. I'm Chris, 30 years old, medic in the Army Guard. I'm also a PJ hopeful. Being a PJ has been something that has been on my heart and mind for a long time. First heard about Pararescue when I was 20. Researched and researched, and fell in love with what Pararescue is all about. I began training for it, but shortly later life happened - met my wife, bought a house, started having kids. Until now, I didn't feel we were really at a stable point in our lives to put my family through the possibility of the PJ pipeline. Kids are older now, things are good, and my wife is super supportive of this.

To get more specific as far as my motivation goes... I don't know I could pick just one reason I want to become a PJ. There are many reasons. To be with a motivated group of guys that are extremely passionate about what they do, and are ready to lay down their own lives to save another, is a huge one. I'm ready for the challenge also. I want to push my limits and see what I'm capable of. I've been a municipal firefighter for several years now and I've loved the experience, and I'm incredibly grateful for it, but I'm ready to challenge myself in a new way. And the adrenaline stuff like jumping out of airplanes is of course awesome, and I'm super excited for that stuff (if I have what it takes to get there), but those things are just cool - not my motivation really. I really just want to do my part saving lives and be a part of an elite group of guys who are ready to give everything to do so. Now that I've been getting serious about my training and preparation, Pararescue is honestly on my mind the majority of my waking hours. Reading, researching, training.. which brings me in to the next question of training and prep.

Just recently began seriously training (about a month and half ago). Right now I'm reading Total Immersion and The U.S. Air Force Elite Workout (this one is a little dated it seems like, but still seems like a great book with great material to learn from). Also been watching a lot of Mike Maroney's videos on youtube. As far as workouts go, really I'm just trying to keep it basic right now and get more efficient with my freestyle stroke and more comfortable in the water. Aside from that main stuff, I've been lightly working on 25m underwaters, treading water, and drown proofing. Outside of the pool I've mostly been doing calisthenics. Given up freeweights for the most part - aside from the compound lifts like squats and deadlifts for strength.

Anyways that's about it. Probably longer than needed! Thanks for reading guys and hope to connect with you all on here.

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I first posted my introduction several years ago when I was significantly more hot-headed than now. Despite the time gap and the development of some sense of maturity, my intentions have not changed. After reading TLDR20's sticky under this sub-forum, I wanted to reintroduce myself to the community here on Shadowspear and fulfill my "First-Post" requirement.

I was with the Air Force from 2011 till 2015. During my enlistment, I deployed a few times, completed Ranger School, and came to the realization, after meeting several career Special Forces members, that the Army Special Forces is further in line with my professional goals than the Air Force.

I was originally steadfast on joining the Army immediately after separation, however, due to the tattoo policies in early 2015 I had to adjust fire. Later that year I enrolled in college, for the second time, and took full advantage of my GI Bill. Miraculously, thanks to the helpful veteran community I've stayed in shape, learned several languages, traveled extensively, and maintained my desire for public service.

The abundance of information provided here on this forum has helped me keep my focus and drive on. In my almost three years as a civilian, I started religiously training Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and focusing on my responsibilities as a citizen.

Long story short, I have communicated with recruiters, secured a 18X slot, and now look forward to the opportunity of trying out next summer. The aspect of Special Forces that appeals to me more than anything is that each Green Beret operates as a warrior-diplomat. I don't have a particular desire to be any one MOS over another, rather first and foremost find myself on a team of like-minded, motivated individuals.

Very Respectfully,
BlackCoffee

Good afternoon, Gentlemen, I'll keep this brief.

I'm Logan, a 16 year-old high school junior and MCJROTC cadet pursuing a career as a Special Forces soldier. However, I have some milestones to cross along the way, which is why I'm seeking a SF mentor.

I'll put it plainly, I used to be fat. I'm 6'5" and I weighed 250lbs. This year, I lost 60lbs and I'm currently around 190 and dropping. However, during this, I discovered that I either lost muscle mass or had none to begin with. Now I'm currently going through the process of building muscle mass from the ground up. This is my first 25m target that I'm trying to take down before I speak to a recruiter and actually enlist, and some instruction from anyone who has been in the same boat as me would be absolutely stellar.

Back