American Sniper Movie

I think any doubts are assuaged by Eastwood's participation. I just hope they don't Lone Survivor the movie and take excessive liberties with the story.

I was not aware that Eastwood was directing until I saw the credits...that man does not make shit movies.

Bradley Cooper, interesting choice... Looks like it will be a good one.

I listened to an interview (Terry Gross on NPR I think) with Bradley Cooper and he was discussing this movie. According to him, he and Chris Kyle had been in discussions about the movie for quite some time and he was 100% on board before his murder.

This looks like vintage Eastwood. I was worried this may not be up to par considering his last few movies after "Gran Torino." That trailer gave me goosebumps- that quick shot were you see him walking into Ryan Jobs room really struck me.

When I first heard Brad Cooper was going to be portraying him I had my doubts, then I saw a picture from the set and I swore I was looking at Chris Kyle.

Unbelievable the transformation he made just as far as looks go. I thought the trailer was awesome, and I remember reading about that situation in the book vividly. I think Eastwood will do a better job with it than Berg did with Lone Survivor, and like that movie, I will be going to Hollywood/LA to see it before it's released nationally.

When I first heard Brad Cooper was going to be portraying him I had my doubts, then I saw a picture from the set and I swore I was looking at Chris Kyle.

Unbelievable the transformation he made just as far as looks go. I thought the trailer was awesome, and I remember reading about that situation in the book vividly. I think Eastwood will do a better job with it than Berg did with Lone Survivor, and like that movie, I will be going to Hollywood/LA to see it before it's released nationally.

Agreed. When I saw the trailer I couldn't believe how well he had captured Chris Kyle's speech, accent, and look.

This is my opinion about the book - it's writing, . It was poorly written, even though Kyle had two co-authors working it. Just because the guy is gone, does not make his writing any better.

As stated already, I believe you are missing the point. You don't pick up a book written by a Navy SEAL to ponder it's literary prowess, you pick it up to learn about the exploits of America's best. His writing isn't what makes his story, it's his actions and the actions of his brothers.

Your reply is far from a solid explanation.

Last edited:
...and if it will be based on the book - I honestly do not see myself spending my hard earned cash to go and see it.

And what else, pray tell, is it supposed to be based off of, Clint Eastwood sitting down with a Ouija Board?

I remember hearing several people make a similar complaint about Lone Survivor when it first came out. Men like Marcus Luttrel and Chris Kyle are not exactly known for their skills as a 21st century Shakespeare. What books like this ARE good for, in spite of how abysmal you think their writing styles may be, are for use as primary sources for historians to look through and say "This is how a 21st century warrior lived and fought." When watching a historical documentary about whatever war you're interested in, and you read the diary entries or letters home of PVT. Bocephus J. Snuffy II, do you think about what life in the trenches/foxholes was like for poor PVT Snuffy, or do you ramble on about how that uneducated hillbilly sum'bitch couldn't write a grocery list without the literary help of a ghostwriting and editing team?

Having had the privilege of speaking with Chris Kyle when I got my copy of his book autographed after an author's forum, he was definitely a man of sound character and, most importantly, common sense. A lot of times, the people with the most common sense are lacking in copious amounts of book smarts, and vice versa. That being said, Kyle was no dummy. Perhaps the story he told in his book was better told over cold beer and a campfire instead of the printed word, as I personally thought he was a great storyteller in person. That did not mean his story was not any less gripping on paper, at least not to me. If I had to choose between reading American Sniper or Lord of the Flies again, I'd choose American Sniper, hands down.

As far as what promise the movie holds, it's Clint Eastwood. That man has been an American badass since before my dad was old enough to crank out baby batter. I'm confident that he's going to do a damned good job with bringing that book to life. Even if he doesn't, I'm enough of a gambler to take that chance when I drop my hard earned cash at the movie theater, and I won't feel bad about it either way. Kyle may not have had an effusive vocabulary that met your standards, Ravage, but from an analytic standpoint his book is as fine a primary source from which Eastwood could hope to draw from when he signed on to direct this film.

Back