American Sniper Movie

I watched it last weekend. I thought it was a good movie with Cooper playing Chris Kyle very well.

Nobody moved when the movie ended, it felt almost disrespectful. I can't say I've seen that happen before at the movies.

Saw it Monday evening. I thought it was a great movie, although I don't remember a sandstorm in the movie. Seemed to me like Eastwood didn't shy away from controversial stuff (which is good, in my opinion) and I think at least half the people in the theater (which was almost full) had some water in their eyes when the end came.

So this is my female, novice, non-SOC opinion of the movie.
I agree with most of what Ooh-Rah stated already, however, as a woman, I didn't feel the emotional connection between Cooper and Miller. I felt they portrayed her as an A #1 bitch on wheels in the movie. Maybe she was, but I doubt that. I have yet to read the book and see what Kyle says about her. I doubt it's that though.

Are/were you married to someone that deployed and was extremely focused on the mission and his brothers? Someone that cared so much about his other family that was in harms way that protecting them became his priority? Have you been on the phone/Skype with someone you care so deeply about and a mortar/rocket attack happens and you get disconnected without warning and you have to wait for what feels like eternity until they can establish comms with you again so you know they are ok?

I ask this, because that is exactly what is being portrayed. She wasn't being a bitch, she wanted her family safe and out of harm's way. They wanted the same thing, but from two different sides of the coin.

Ah hell, even if you've never been through that, I don't understand how you can think they portrayed Taya as a bitch. They portrayed her as a loving wife and mother that wanted her family whole and was tired of Chris morphing more and more after each deployment.

Are/were you married to someone that deployed and was extremely focused on the mission and his brothers? Someone that cared so much about his other family that was in harms way that protecting them became his priority? Have you been on the phone/Skype with someone you care so deeply about and a mortar/rocket attack happens and you get disconnected without warning and you have to wait for what feels like eternity until they can establish comms with you again so you know they are ok?

Word.

I've gone so far as to tell my wife that I may be gone for a bit. No more, no less. "We have some stuff going on. If they pull the Net I'm fine." She may still worry, but that's a hell of a lot better than spending days wondering why there's no communication. Which has happened. Which is terrifying for the families. All of that emotion and worry pent up, suddenly unleashed when you hear their other is okay? Yeah....things can be heated. It is a part of the job. Sucks, but a part of the job.

I just watched the entire movie. I guess we saw different versions because I didn't see her act like a "bitch". At all. What I saw was a couple dealing with an incredible amount of stress and pushing through.

If Clint Eastwood doesn't go down as one of Hollywood's all time greatest, then this world is bullshit. He's just like us, he puts his pants on one leg at a time...but when he does he writes/ directs/ acts in some of Hollywood's best films.

I just watched the entire movie. I guess we saw different versions because I didn't see her act like a "bitch". At all. What I saw was a couple dealing with an incredible amount of stress and pushing through.

If Clint Eastwood doesn't go down as one of Hollywood's all time greatest, then this world is bullshit. He's just like us, he puts his pants on one leg at a time...but when he does he writes/ directs/ acts in some of Hollywood's best films.
I think he's already the patriarch of the film industry. I would put him in the category of living legend with Scorcese, Spielberg and Allen. The fact he has kept up such a steady stream of solid msterial is impressive to say the least. He didn't shy away from the dark side of Chief Kyle's story, which I think a Berg or Bay would have done, but didn't over politicize or preach like Spielberg would (though I think he would have done fine if he had remained on the project).

This may be a bit lame to bring up, but seeing as we all are pretty big Cooper fans at this point with how he treated this role I feel it's appropriate to bring up that this guy has earned all 4 of his Oscar nominations in a three year time span. That's pretty impressive considering he was playing the antagonist in "Wedding Crashers" a few years ago.

Finally saw the movie.
Damn... I thought it was amazing the way Eastwood put everything together, the emotion was absolutely incredible. The fact that Eastwood didn't shy away from the wife's POV and the experiences she went through when Chris Kyle was deployed/coming home made it all that more real for the audience. The last scene was pretty intense as well and I got to say it was classy the way Eastwood ended the film.

My .02 I was hoping and wishing to see Kyle knock out "Scruff Face" but I figured that would cause a huge mess and people would get sued...

didn't over politicize or preach like Spielberg would (though I think he would have done fine if he had remained on the project).

Agreed 100%. I love Clint, Unforgiven sealed his legendary status in my eyes, but I do think that Spielberg would have dove deeper and expanded on some of the issues I had with the movie (vs. the book) in my post a few pages back.

My .02 I was hoping and wishing to see Kyle knock out "Scruff Face" but I figured that would cause a huge mess and people would get sued...

Yeah, it was announced some time ago that that scene would not be in the flick, and it has been removed from updated printing of the book. But...FUCKING I-TUNES took it upon themselves to REPLACE the copy of the book I have on my iPad and iPhone (purchased from the iStore), with an updated version that has that whole scene gone. That really pisses me off, I knew they were up to something when I went looking for the quote about the sat phone a couple nights ago and noticed that the digital cover had been updated - :wall::mad:

Agreed 100%. I love Clint, Unforgiven sealed his legendary status in my eyes, but I do think that Spielberg would have dove deeper and expanded on some of the issues I had with the movie (vs. the book) in my post a few pages back.
Eastwood presented Chief Kyle as he was, I don't know if Spielberg would have done that. Spielberg would have done a better job exploring the relationships in the film. I think there would have been better chemistry between Cooper and Miller, and even more so between the guys in the Platoon. I just think of "Saving Private Ryan" and how close you felt with everyone, not just Captain Miller.

Yeah, it was announced some time ago that that scene would not be in the flick, and it has been removed from updated printing of the book. But...FUCKING I-TUNES took it upon themselves to REPLACE the copy of the book I have on my iPad and iPhone (purchased from the iStore), with an updated version that has that whole scene gone. That really pisses me off, I knew they were up to something when I went looking for the quote about the sat phone a couple nights ago and noticed that the digital cover had been updated - :wall::mad:

Dang I missed that. Haven't read the book yet but hopefully I can find an "original" copy.

ZM

I didn't even know they updated that. Damn, I'm glad I got a hardcover version.

Ever since Amazon pulled certain books out of people's Kindles, I just don't trust electronic copies. Fluffy stuff, no problem. True stories by real warriors? Give me a hardcover first edition (if possible). Signed is even better.

Rant.

A few years ago I heard Cooper interviewed by a woman on NPR. This was before he ever got involved in American Sniper. They talked about his life, his devotion to his dying father. Then she asked him what he had wanted to be when he grew up. He said "A soldier." (Dead silence, a little nervous laugh). The way she reacted, he might as well have said he wanted to fuck dead guys. When she recovered her composure she asked incredulously, "Why?" He said "Because they have a sense of honor." She didn't fuckin get it.

Now Seth Rogen, the Canadian pothead, has chimed in about the movie, calling it a Nazi propaganda film.

Nothing like a movie like this to bring out the true colors of the Leftists. No matter how they couch it, they fuckin stone cold fuckin hate the military. Nothing has changed since Vietnam. We are fuckin baby-killing storm-troopers. I read the Rolling Stone review of this movie this morning, for shits and giggles, and it went everyfuckinwhere, it bashed Bush and Cheney, blamed the rise of ISIL on American atrocities, dragged it back to Vietnam and the Cold War, pulled up every fuckin liberal hate cliche in the book.

They are a bunch of fucking pretentious self-righteous cunts.

Rant over.

Seth Rogen can't penetrate the walls of "my world." His opinion about anything matters way less to me than what pair of socks I decide to put on in the morning. His opinion about the military means even less than that much less his opinion about "American Sniper"or Chief Kyle.

Simply another hollow mind speaking from his lack of experience.

I was at my local gun store the other day (which happens to be next to a mosque), the owner said to me "Pardus I have a plan to fix this country once and for all!"
Intrigued I ask what it is.
"Us normal people, will lock ourselves away and let the liberals start the "revolution/breakdown of society/apocalypse". The Muslims will seize the opportunity to take control in the name of allah, go crazy and slaughter all the liberals who are anti-gun and therefore will literally be lambs to the slaughter. Once the liberals are all dead, we'll unlock the doors, wipe out the jihadi states of America and start this country from scratch!"

I need to buy more ammo.

I was at my local gun store the other day (which happens to be next to a mosque), the owner said to me "Pardus I have a plan to fix this country once and for all!"
Intrigued I ask what it is.
"Us normal people, will lock ourselves away and let the liberals start the "revolution/breakdown of society/apocalypse". The Muslims will seize the opportunity to take control in the name of allah, go crazy and slaughter all the liberals who are anti-gun and therefore will literally be lambs to the slaughter. Once the liberals are all dead, we'll unlock to doors, wipe out the jihadi states of America and start this country from scratch!"

I need to buy more ammo.

Lol how many Muslims does he think are in the states?

Back