American Sniper Movie

Hollywood is less than thrilled with the movie. http://www.thewrap.com/american-sni...hould-clint-eastwood-be-celebrating-a-killer/

“He seems like he may be a sociopath,” one Academy member told TheWrap, adding he had not yet seen the film but had read the article, which is being passed around.

And Michael Moore, an Oscar voter and former Academy governor from the Documentary Branch, tweeted on Sunday, “My uncle killed by sniper in WW2. We were taught snipers were cowards. Will shoot u in the back. Snipers aren’t heroes. And invaders r worse.”

No, Michael Moore, people that have never served but heap criticism upon those who do from behind a camera and their massive guts are cowards. If you really did have an uncle killed in WW2, he probably thinks you're a spineless pussy.

Hollywood is less than thrilled with the movie. http://www.thewrap.com/american-sni...hould-clint-eastwood-be-celebrating-a-killer/

“He seems like he may be a sociopath,” one Academy member told TheWrap, adding he had not yet seen the film but had read the article, which is being passed around.

And Michael Moore, an Oscar voter and former Academy governor from the Documentary Branch, tweeted on Sunday, “My uncle killed by sniper in WW2. We were taught snipers were cowards. Will shoot u in the back. Snipers aren’t heroes. And invaders r worse.”

No, Michael Moore, people that have never served but heap criticism upon those who do from behind a camera and their massive guts are cowards. If you really did have an uncle killed in WW2, he probably thinks you're a spineless pussy.

Who gives a fuck what those assholes think. Moore is a fat lying piece of shit.

I'm glad one of you guys posted the Michael Moore stuff - I would have but I don't think I'm permitted to "hate" my own posts.

I saw American Sniper today.
An excellent film, Eastwood did a superb job. Emotional movie, not in a good way.

I will echo @Mac_NZ's comment, the sat phone while working was eyebrow raising to say the least. I don't recall, does anyone remember if that was in the book?

Michael Moore could get hit by a train today and I would only wish that another would hit him.

I could only hope that as a result of being hit by the train, he'd somehow catch fire. As a medic, I'd immediately jump into action... by pulling up a deckchair and drinking beer, this would of course (eventually) make me need to piss. I'm sure the timing would be just as he was about to expire, so that the last thing that fat cunt sees is me pissing on his face.
Do Know Harm...

From Chapter 7 of the book:

“CALLING HOME

One night, I was on an overwatch and things were quiet. Nights were normally slow in Baghdad. Insurgents usually wouldn’t attack then, because they knew we had the advantage with our technology, including our night-vision gear and infrared sensors. So I thought I’d take a minute and call my wife back home, just to tell I was thinking of her.

I took our sat phone and dialed home. Most times, when I talked to Taya, I’d tell her I was back at base, even though I was really on an overwatch or in the field somewhere. I didn’t want to worry her.
This night, for some reason, I told her what I was doing.
“Is it all right to talk?” she asked.
“Oh yeah, it’s all good,” I said. “There’s nothing going on.”
Well, I got maybe another two or three sentences out of my mouth when someone started firing at the building from the street.
“What’s that?” she asked.
“Oh, nothing,” I said nonchalantly.
Of course, the gunfire stoked up real loud as the words came out of my mouth.
“Chris?”
“Well, I think I’m going to get going now,” I told her.
“Are you okay[…]”
“Oh yeah. It’s all good,” I lied. “Nothing happening. Talk to you later.”
Just then, an RPG hit the outside wall right near me. Some of the building smacked into my face, giving me a couple of beauty marks and temporary tattoos courtesy of the insurgency.
I dropped the phone and started returning fire. I spotted the guys down the street and popped one or two; the snipers who were with me downed a bunch more before the rest got the hell out of there.
Fight over, I grabbed up the phone. The batteries had run out, so I couldn’t call back.
Things got busy for a few days, and it wasn’t until two or three days later when I finally got a chance to call Taya and see how she was.
She started crying as soon as she answered the phone.
It turned out I hadn’t actually ended the call before I put down the phone. She’d heard the whole gunfight, complete with shots and curses, before the batteries had finally run out. Which, of course, happened all of a sudden, adding to the anxiety.”

Widow of 'American Sniper' author curtails interviews amid criticism

Michael Moore and their ilk get their way...which is odd to me, the flick did $100M, obviously she has amazing support. What am I missing?

http://www.startribune.com/entertainment/movies/289097651.html

The widow of Navy SEAL Chris Kyle is facing growing blowback over her late husband’s bestselling memoir, “American Sniper,” now a hit movie and recently the subject of a defamation case by former Minnesota Gov. Jesse Ventura.Taya Kyle had planned to give interviews this week to promote the movie and her Feb. 8 appearance at Beth El Synagogue’s “Heroes Among Us” series, a major event at the Minneapolis temple, with tickets ranging from $36 to $300.

But on Monday, she canceled some interviews in the wake of criticism of her late husband’s behavior and questions about whether he should be considered a hero.
“My uncle was killed by a sniper in WWII,” tweeted filmmaker Michael Moore. “Only cowards would do that 2 him, others.” He also decried the description in the movie of Iraqis as “savages,” though he later said in a Facebook post that there were antiwar messages in the movie and that actor Bradley Cooper was “awesome” as Chris Kyle.

Republican Newt Gingrich fired back in his own tweet, “Michael Moore should spend a few weeks with ISIS and Boko Haram. Then he might appreciate @American Sniper. I am proud of our defenders.”
The subject matter of the film, Kyle’s role in killing a record number of people as a sniper in Iraq and Afghanistan, “is causing controversy among some in Hollywood for its perceived pro-war message,” USA Today reported Monday.

Widow of 'American Sniper' author curtails interviews amid criticism

Michael Moore and their ilk get their way...which is odd to me, the flick did $100M, obviously she has amazing support. What am I missing?

The fact that everyone will bring it up and it's probably a hard thing for her to hear. After the year she has had I can't blame her, it's hard to remain positive when people want to attack a loved one.

So this is my female, novice, non-SOC opinion of the movie.
I agree with most of what Ooh-Rah stated already, however, as a woman, I didn't feel the emotional connection between Cooper and Miller. I felt they portrayed her as an A #1 bitch on wheels in the movie. Maybe she was, but I doubt that. I have yet to read the book and see what Kyle says about her. I doubt it's that though.
I too felt they didn't spend enough time on the interpersonal relationships in the movie. Ditto on the lack of elaborating on the role Kyle's dad played in his life. The scene of them at the dinner table was just plain weird as it was so abrupt. With the exception of Cooper, I didn't feel connected to the characters because of it. I felt connected to Cooper's character as they spent so much time on it. I felt they lacked the sheer brutal experience of his BUDS/SEAL training. I thought it fell short. I thought the war scenes were great, but I felt myself picking them apart. Who confirmed Kyle's super long kill? In the movie, it makes it seem like he was the only one who knew he hit the guy, even though it wasn't the same guy he killed in real life, according to my research. I feel they should have gotten that one true to the facts as it is an important fact in his career and another reason for his nick name.
The movie made it seem like all spotters do is talk smack, play video games and basically don't do their job. Not cool and I felt bad for all spotters after that. In their role, they never called out any adjustments to their sniper. Sheesh. Even this female ex-HM knows the basics of a spotter! Good grief!
The movie overall spend about 85% on the combat scenes and 15% on interpersonal relationships, not nearly enough.
It should have been longer. I would have sat through a much longer movie. Hell, I watched 3+ hr Lord of the Rings movies for that matter! I would have gladly watched a 4 hour movie and they should have let it be so.

I just didn't "feel" this movie. I don't think it is Oscar-worthy in the least. I posted on FB to wait and rent it on DVD. Wish I would have.

I ordered the hardcover of American Sniper from Amazon today. Can't wait to read it!

The subject matter of the film, Kyle’s role in killing a record number of people as a sniper in Iraq and Afghanistan, “is causing controversy among some in Hollywood for its perceived pro-war message,” USA Today reported Monday.

Is being pro-war a bad thing? Sometimes people just need their asses kicked.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is that Mjolnir I hear...oh, wrong movie.

I'm looking forward to seeing American Sniper again. I don't usually care one way or another about those featurettes that accompany Blu-Rays/iTunes releases, but I think the behind-the-scenes stuff on this one will be very interesting.

Back